Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Before I buy, C++ question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, just wondering before I buy the GDK...

1] From what i've heard, the microsoft visual studio 2005 standard edition doesn't work with the GDK. Something about having to recompile the GDK to work with multi threaded libraries or something.

2] So that means I should probaly buy visual C++ 6 or the C++.NET 2003 yeah? Which is cheaper anyway by a few hundred. Question I have is, whats the difference between C++ 6 and the C++ NET 2003? From what I can gather the NET2003 is newer and just has more features like some .NET stuff or something. So If I buy one it should be the .NET yeah? as it has more stuff/features/newer .etc?

Which would be good anyway, because I did afew searches (just clicked like afew pages that came up) looking to buy VC++ 6 and I couldn't find one site that sold it any more. But afew came up with the .NET 2003 one.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2005 08:55
Quote: "From what i've heard, the microsoft visual studio 2005 standard edition doesn't work with the GDK. Something about having to recompile the GDK to work with multi threaded libraries or something"

That and the GDK current uses DX8 for multiplayer stuff, and which a) isn't availiable and b) probably wont work with 2005 anyway.

Until everything is DX9 (and the C library probably is sorted) - we cant use it...

Quote: "Which is cheaper anyway by a few hundred"

I would go for 2003

Quote: "Question I have is, whats the difference between C++ 6 and the C++ NET 2003? From what I can gather the NET2003 is newer and just has more features like some .NET stuff or something. So If I buy one it should be the .NET yeah? as it has more stuff/features/newer .etc?"

VS6 is, I belive, no longer supported. 2003 has a somewhat better interface (and looks better), and should compile code more efficiently - but thats probably the only real difference.
With regards to the GDK however, with VS6 you DX library that can be used stops at October (?) 2004.

Ashy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks alot. I'll go and buy 2003 then
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2005 16:25
If you want to get going right away, get VC++ 2003.NET
VC++ 6.0 is not supported anymore by microsoft, and is claimed by many to be a rather crappy compiler.

Im not sure which is cheaper, but it really shouldnt matter, since VC++ 6.0 is a lost cause.

If you can wait a bit (im hoping the new SDK will be out within 2-4 weeks!!!!) you can use it with VC++ 2005 which is the best compiler/IDE out there IMHO. Plus express edition is free for a year! And after that year, its only 50 bucks for a license to use it.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2005 15:06
The express edition is free forever, as long as you download & register before the year-long offer is over.

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 03:12:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 03:12:50