Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Putting a texture inside an object?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 04:27 Edited at: 11th Jan 2006 05:00
My game is a flying ship and i need to put a sky with stars.

I saw that texturizing the backdrop is now obsolete and i read that the best thing you can do now is texturizing an object like a sphere is better method.

I understand i must put a very very big and texturized sphere and inside the sphere develop the terrains of the game... is this correct?, because a i made it and inside the sphere you can't see the texture of the object.

I suspect i'm wrong.

Well the question is what is the best way for using a texturized sky... if it posible any code sample, it should be appreciated.

Help.

Thank you very much
Smithy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 08:13 Edited at: 11th Jan 2006 17:58
One way is to create a sphere(or cube, or cone) object ( It doesnt has to be THAT big) and then scale it.
(well, of course you have to play with the size so the texture still looks good).

Now to the core point of your question:
To see the texture inside the object, use a _negative_ size.

Example:

//edit: probably, the scales must be negative too, just play with the parameters to get a feeling for how the various commands "response".

Regards and,.. May The DARK force be with you...

Smithy

//edit dab@11-jan-2006 8.15am GMT+1

Quote: "
I understand i must put a very very big and texturized sphere and inside the sphere develop the terrains of the game... is this correct?
"

The terrains can be larger than the sky. You have to set the fogging a bit closer to the camera than your sky-end. (Otherwise you will see the sky-object will cull your terrain, fog is better.)
Say, EndOfSky_Distance is 1000, then you set your fogdistance to 950.

Hint: Move the sky-sphere/cube/cone together with your camera for a nice sky. (CenterPositionCamera = CenterPositionSky (each frame) )

//Awards: Best DM at NeverwinterConventionIII (NWCon3)
//Sys: Pentium IV 3200E/Prescott;800Mhz FSB;HT;WinXPPro;ATIR9700PRO;1024MB RAM(2x512MB"DualChanneled";VC++7.net;Delphi6;ADSL512;

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 19:00:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 19:00:11