Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Music Loop Snipet: Work in Progress

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello

I had an idea hammering my head yesterday, so I started to code it and although it is very simple I think it has not been mentioned here. I'm quite happy with the results so far but would like to hear your opinions on it.

The idea is to loop music. I know that is already possible with DGSDK, but I was thinking of a more dinamic way to handle the music loops.

Right now you can play, loop, stop, etc. But if you want the music to react to a certain event in your game, wouldn't that mean that you have to make a certain loop stop and then start a new one? That is not natural to the human hear. Our brain reacts to the tempo and mood of the music. If you break the tempo and start from scratch, it doesn't feel natural at all. But if you keep the tempo and change the mood the brain will react making the gameplay more immersive.

So what I'm working on is a very simple function that handles a smooth transition between music loops. It's like dbSync() but for music. The objective is that the programmer has the power to say which is the mood he wants to set on a given condition and then the function handles when to start a new loop.

Would this be useful and if so, what other ideas could be incorporated here?

V

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 14:41
They used such a thing the open source FPS in the WIP forum. Go have a look at their code, it's in there if you want design ideas.

Why make sense when you could make brownies?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 18:56:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 18:56:15