Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Unreal 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 00:33
Brought Unreal 2 on Saturday, and completed it at 22:23 on the medium level...

Thought you would want to know...
Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 00:39
Well done sir. Haven't played it myself. Are the graphics a significant improvement on 2ktournament? I would imagine so being 1 player and all

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 02:24
I always prefere only games better, you never beat them I prefere CS over Unreal, but thats just me

Congrats on the finishment!

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
silversnake
Years of Service
User Offline
I have also played Unreal 2 and finished in about 12 hours on medium. The graphics are a significant step up from Unreal Tournament 2003. You have to think about the fact that UT2k3 has to playable online whereas U2 has no such constraints. They both use the same engine and both have sweet graphics

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 03:26
UT2K3 is a seriously cutdown engine, which was re-edited by Epic prior to release.

Unreal2 is the real thing (^_^) and i'd suggest completing it on hard cause it opens some new things ... but it is a task and a half, and the mission arn't as linear as they appear so next time you play i'd play very close attention to the worlds.

pitty i don't have that sorta time to throw away on games playing - i've played Startopia for 25mins this week, and that is literally ALL the gaming i've done

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 04:09
"I prefere CS over Unreal, but thats just me"
Counter Strike is much better. I hate playing op though, I always get blown away too fast. I personally liked the original Unreal over U2/U2k3; it had superior weapons.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 11:17
Yes, the graphics are much better than Unreal Tournament 2002... Just make sure no filtering is on, otherwise it'll go slower than Raven using a search engine.

What new things do you get on the Hard level ? It was hard enough of Medium (especially where I kept saving it).

Some of the weapons early on appear useless (namely the first alien weapon you collect), but they become more useful later on.

My favourite is the Singularity weapon - always wanted to create a black hole..

The ending's quite sad...

Anyone know if there's going to be an Unreal 3?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 21:15
yes there is to be... and it'll again not be made by Epic (though its not been officially announced yet, story will pick up from where Unreal2 leaves it)

and yes if you complete on hard there is something VERY worth while that gets unlocked - but if you wait a month or two i'm sure someone will make a hack patch for it

the game does really need a REALLY powerful graphics card to look truely awesome i have to get it, cause i wanna know what actually made it in - cause at one point they had Raytrace Refleactions ... i mean it wasn't like CGR style Raytracing but it still made certain sections look bloody amazing, like the Groyga Gorge - look down into the fog and see the water sparkling, looks outstanding ... even more so if you jump off cause right before you die you see your reflection hehee

there were so many funny tech demo parts to this game i had fun finding them all out - like turning off the gravity and moving with the machinegun ... no point in it, but fun

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2003 01:07
Yes, you certainly need something pretty powerful to set everything to maximum without slowdown.

What on earth is ragdoll shadow(?) system ?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2003 02:29
its the Stencil Shadows they made using the Karma Engine i believe - it uses less processing power because it just projects the shadow but is limb based ... or something like that.

email the guys they'll tell you the technical terms - i mean normally i understand things well but some of the stuff they added just went :: whoosh! :: over my head

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2003 11:22
Same here too really - I play it to look at the scenery, kill the Skaarj, watch the destruction of my ship and use the Singularity weapon...

Would be good if they made a film out of Unreal.

silversnake
Years of Service
User Offline
There is one thing I noticed about Unreal 2. All the levels except the last aboard the Dorian Grey were great. I thought the Dorian Grey was mediocre though since it did not have the same level of detail. It looked boxy and bad. No offense anyone, but maybe it was rushed out? Just a small thing there...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 06:23
that level wasn't even suppose to be there ... maybe you'll hear the tale of why it is, maybe not - there are another 3 levels (one of which is a secret one) which also have the same feel.

there are little bits of the whole game which were like "what if..." and they were just getting into dev before Epic turned around and said "we are releaseing on, this date!" and alot of panic obviously ensued

poor guys still can't rest cause of the sequal they have to work on

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 11:10
I thought the last level was quite alright - got a bit annoying when the anti-gravity system went, but aside from that it was fun.

Liked the chap over the intercomm wanting someone to fix it...

There certainly didn't seem to be enough lifeboats for the whole crew - three had gone and 1 was left. So assuming there was another set on the opposite side of the ship, it means there must be a crew compliment of 8...

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 23:01
And why does it take so long to load levels ??

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 01:34
cause they've have the most convoluted compression routine you'll ever see in your life
most of the worlds are simply splines with texture points and scales (and layers) ... without the precalculation of the actual polygons and collision it has to sit there and do that. They're a nice smallish format for what they are and they're range of detail is outstanding, because you can use the console to change the LOD setting and it'll redo the world.

you know i've gotta talk to Antony later this week, cause i wanna know if he's still comming to Blizzard in fall i love that guys work, be cool to see him more often.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 11:21
I would agree if I knew who you were talking about...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 12:29
hehee... well do you remember when Quake3's format was released and everyone was all "oh oh LOD sections in BSP!", well they were created using splines ... well the guys couldn't use BSP for thier worlds because, well you've played it

the combination of using Karma & Highly Detailed worlds, would be too great for a standard format like BSP... now the version you see in UT2K3 and America's Army Online are basically cutdown versions of that format which relys on some BSP style CSG and Visibility - however the Unreal2 worlds don't, they use ONLY splines. So rather than just building the terrian, the Engine had to build everything.
its based on engine/geometry complexity, but also has to calculate the Vis and such ... i mean considering this the loading times are impressive

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 12:49
True... Still gets rather boring looking at a loading/initialising screen though...

Shame they couldn't fix the Audilogy sound system too...

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 12:50
By the way, the 22:23 was on Sunday...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 00:04:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 00:04:56