Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Star Wraith 3 in PC ZONE 10th anniversary edition...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was doing some shoping at my local supermarket and out the corner of my eye I saw Star Wraith 3 on the Demo disk of the 10th anniversary edition of PC Zone (UK mag)!!

Just thought I would tell you all.. I thought that was pretty cool seems as it was made in DB V1
1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 01:20
Yeah they feature it on the mailbag pages too - take a look.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 06:20
Probably one of the most given away DarkBasic titles of all time
i'm actually wondering how much money was made on that title hehee
ahh well the creator will be on later to tell us no doubt

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 10:02
It was in XP Mag before christmas

PC Pro mag, PC Plus Mag, PC Gamer and a few others.

I got all these mags by the way

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 14:41
yeah i got a demo on a PC Gamer CD as well!

Daih Thel phae 'e, clann 'e phaen
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 21:47
SW3 is definatly the best game made in DBv1

--Mouse
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 23:43
I find this funny, I tried Star Wraith & SW2 and really really really hated it. Credit to the guy for making it a commercial sucess but the game? YUK... It just felt so amateur.

I've not tried SW3 though... Maybe time to look again.

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 01:24
Pneumatic, don't critize his work until you can make something better, or you know he could have done better. (Microsoft clearly could have done better with Windows ME, so I'll critize them, even though I can't do better, for example). This is a one-man-team game made in DB v1-- for that, it's amazing. And I happen to think SW1 is a classic, I still play it sometimes (although I have to slow my system down a bit!)

--Mouse
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 02:34
Um. I believe I have done better and will continue to do so although I am using SW1&2 as reference.

Besides as I said - he seems to be doing ok and I credit him for that and i'll be checking out SW3 soon and hoping it is what I know it could be

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 02:43
OK that sounded more arrogant than I meant it to, here's my portfolio:

Lost in the Woods (Spectrum); *commercial*
Lost in the Woods 2 (Spectrum); *commercial*
Numb Skulls (Spectrum); *commercial*
Numb Skulls 2 (Spectrum); *commercial*
Rock and Roll (Spectrum); *commercial*
Music Player 3.1 Util (Amiga); *public domain*
Bomb Jack (Amiga); *public domain*
Space Corps (series of games) (Amiga); *commercial*
Amos IFF-AGA Convertor Util (Amiga); *aminet*
Infochannel 500 Upgrade Installer (Amiga); *commercial*
Scala Rotate (Amiga); *corporate*
Harry the Slug Animation Series (Amiga); *public domain*
Dark Omen Control 111 Mod (PC); *public domain*
Gettin' Shot Up 2 (PC); *public domain*
Space Corps (PC); *public domain*
Jetpac Retro Remake (PC); *public domain*
and many miscellaneous small games and utilities

Now is it ok with you if I say I didn't like SW1 & SW2 ?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 05:27
i believe that Pneu is entitled to his own opinion of the title ... StarWraith3 was just an upgrade on 1&2 really, not much more.

For the time it was developed, it was one of the most polished and professional offerings - but by the standards which have been pushed further back now by alot of people it isn't exactly the dogs naggers.

i mean personally i liked it, but isn't something i could play for hours on end - it always felt more like a 5minute break arcade game

god i wish i could remember who made it ... i mean i can picture the name but just can't remember it. But if i remember right i don't think he'd be too bothered about a comment like that. After all it is an old title and there are bigger and better versions on the horizon.

- i keep thinking its BigGun, but i'm sure thats not it. this is gonna drive me nuts until i remember now -

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I find this funny, I tried Star Wraith & SW2 and really really really hated it."

Yikes, first time I've checked out the forums in months

Wow, kind of a stinging critique, eh. Sorry I missed the mark for you there. I hope you're not just basing your hatred of my games on the demos. I wish I could have spoken with you during the project's development, perhaps then you wouldn't have had the displeasure of being exposed to the games. Best advice I could offer is don't play the games if you're not having fun. But if you think the whole situation is funny, as you say, then I guess you're getting some enjoyment out of it. Again, I apologize for making something you hate so much. I'll head back to coding now and hope I do better for you the next time around...

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Meh, the games are a very succsesful and fun piece of art, but me too..I can't really get into them for some reason. Good work, but I guess its more for the "non programmer" or something .

~Morph
Owner of MultiCode.NET and Multi2k.NET.
Nothing is something, and something is then nothing. Life is an illusion.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can't really get into them for some reason. Good work, but I guess its more for the "non programmer" or something ."

Not being able to get into it I can certainly understand. It's pretty genre specific, not to broadly appealing, which means some people like it, others don't. But hatred, yikes And yes, most of the play time certainly comes from gamers, not developers. Sometimes developers have a hard time knowing what gamers want (myself included, it's one of the reasons I used feedback from the players to develop the games).

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 19:44
lol ... well it just wasn't one of those titles with the biggest appeal - but then again the guys here have the widest taste in games i've seen.

i don't think you could make a single game that you won't have one person thinking that is isn't any fun at all...
actually the major thing that pissed me off about the StarWraith seires was you could play with Joystick, Keyboard or Mouse - but you have to have a joystick in order to change the options so you could play with other things ... and i mean i only have gamepads which arn't quite the same feel with the wingcommander style games (the console versons of that pissed me off alot)

are you gonna put my mind at ease here though and tell me what your old username was, cause i know you didn't used to go by SFSW

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 20:13
What's the webpage addy i'd like to check out SW3. Despite my critique I am actually a fan of the genre and am currently playing Conflict Freespace 2 over at a friends house... on that note i'd better go, because he's just finished installing some more missions...

SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "lol ... well it just wasn't one of those titles with the biggest appeal - but then again the guys here have the widest taste in games i've seen."

That's true, I'm pretty surprised by how many developers here actually enjoy -playing- the game rather then just looking at it as a project.

Quote: "i don't think you could make a single game that you won't have one person thinking that is isn't any fun at all..."

Yup, the gaming industry as a whole sure has become a diverse collection of genres and game concepts. No game can really appeal to everyone, gaming should just be about fun and entertainment, something for the fans of a particular game to enjoy.

Quote: "actually the major thing that pissed me off about the StarWraith seires was you could play with Joystick, Keyboard or Mouse - but you have to have a joystick in order to change the options so you could play with other things ... and i mean i only have gamepads which arn't quite the same feel with the wingcommander style games (the console versons of that pissed me off alot)"

I certainly wouldn't want to limit flight controls to just one controller type, but most space/flight sim gamers do have sticks. But I wasn't aware that a gamepad wouldn't be compatible with changing flight axis controls or buttons, that's a surprise. In SW3, you can remap the keyboard and alter controller buttons (I thought for a gamepad, but maybe not). Hmm, guess I'll do some testing.

Quote: "are you gonna put my mind at ease here though and tell me what your old username was, cause i know you didn't used to go by SFSW "

I used to be under just SF.

SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What's the webpage addy i'd like to check out SW3. Despite my critique I am actually a fan of the genre and am currently playing Conflict Freespace 2 over at a friends house... on that note i'd better go, because he's just finished installing some more missions..."

www.starwraith.com, send me a quick e-mail once you've downloaded it and I'll send over a key so you can try the full game. Then if you still hate it, there's an uninstall option

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 02:40 Edited at: 17th Mar 2003 23:46
PneumaticDryll is entitled to his opinion mouse, if that is his opinion, fine.
[Edited By rapscaLLion]

Anyhow, the game is very genre specific, so I can understand if you don't like it. I never got into SW one or two, but I loved SW3 right from the initial beta test. The multiplayer is the best I've seen in DB. Anyone wanna set up a game some time?

The single player is outstanding as well. Although the graphics are not outstanding, they fit the style very well, it doesn't look like some games out there today, but it all fits together very nicely. Overall, very well executed.

I admire the dedication and effort put into these games!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 02:40
Oh, and congrats on being in PCMag

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Rap,

Thanks for the kind words.

I can understand some players not liking the game, or not understanding it fully by just playing the demo without reading the instructions (resulting in getting destroyed over and over again, lol). I was just a little suprised to hear someone lash out so harshly with hate towards it. I was just hoping there wasn't any resentment or contempt towards me or the game (sometimes the cause of non-constructive criticism).

I wish I would have seen your post earlier, we just finished playing 4 hours of Cooperative multiplayer matches (my eyes ache, lol). I may try to host a session tomorrow, I probably have your e-mail somewhere, but if you want to send one over to me I'll reply when/if I start one tomorrow. If you have time, grab 1.4 so Coop missions can be done as it's the most fun way to play it (several players signed in today with 1.3 or older versions and we had to limit those matches to TVT or Dogfights).

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 22:02
Dryll-- impressive list of games. What languages were they in? (I'm really just curious!)

Rap-- 'PneumaticDryll is entitled to his opinion mouse, if that is his opinion, fine. If theres two things I hate, they are non-constructive critacism and someone who judges others, especially without knowing all the facts.'

As you said later, you certainly are guilty of both, so I'm not going to take any of that-- sorry . I'll go on doing what I'm doing until, perhaps, I'm judged by someone who dosen't do just what he critizes.

Sorry if this seems rather rude, but I dislike hypocrites who yell at me, and I'm not in a particularly good mood.

SF-- is it too late to sign up for beta testing? I thought my computer wouldn't be in order for a while, but I should have it working fine next week, and nothing would be a nicer welcome-back-to-the-wide-world-of-gaming than playing a good, solid DarkBASIC creation .

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Mouse,

Definately have the beta option. If you have time, send me a quick e-mail with your system specs, just to make sure I have your most current address. The new project is going fairly slow, but that probably just means there'll be plenty of test versions

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 23:44 Edited at: 17th Mar 2003 23:47
@Mouse: I'm either missing something, or your missing something, I said:
"PneumaticDryll is entitled to his opinion mouse, if that is his opinion, fine. If theres two things I hate, they are non-constructive critacism and someone who judges others, especially without knowing all the facts."

Then you said, you were not going to take any of that because I'm guilty of it myself. Then you called me a hypocrite. But... I'm confused as to what you are replying to.

If you are replying to this statement: "PneumaticDryll is entitled to his opinion mouse, if that is his opinion, fine."
Then your whole thing on not listening to me because of hypocracy is invalid, as it has nothing to do with this statement.

If you are replying to: "If theres two things I hate, they are non-constructive critacism and someone who judges others, especially without knowing all the facts. "
then your reply is also invalid, because you are saying you won't listen to me because I'm a hypocrite BUT I wasn't talking directly to you, and I wasn't giving advice for you to take.

I can see that I offended you, as your reply makes it obvious. I suppose the whole "I hate" part was uncalled for and I apoligize for it... in fact I will use the new edit feature to remove it, because it is in fact hypocritical. Although really when you think about it, everone is a hypocrite if you get technical. But I hate it when people get technical. Making me a hypocrite again

lol and I wasn't yelling, and your reply wasn't half as rude as some I've seen... like in those posts involving Raven... I was only trying to help lol

@SFSW: I am really busy right now, maybe later this week ok
and my email is alex@wanuch.com

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Killer Sponge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 15:57
i want full version but i wont get it.
Oh wellz, yeh I thought SW 1 & 2 rulez dowloading 3 now.

@SFSW
I wonder was FreeSpace 2 your insperation for this game, caus once i made i FreeSpace 2 Stylee game but it was pants

Urs,
The One and Only
K-Sponge

Current Project: KS Modeller Function Library & Editor
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 16:19
PD, don't you think you should show more respect for the most succesfull DB games ever? - sorry if you've got a long list of crudentials, but as far as I'm aware, Jetpac is the only game you've made in DB? - DBpro in fact, SW3 is made in DBv1.13

I'm waiting on someone telling me about these better DB games. In fact I can only think of a handful of completed DB games, most of which have been made by Dead Glory and Kain.

Van-B
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 18:43
checkout the Showcase section on DarkBasic.co.uk
there are alot of good games on there

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 21:15
Ok, sorry for misreading you Rap buddy . I remember you being quite nice from the old forum days, I was just somewhat surprised by your post. For historical reference I won't edit my post, but I will apologise here ^_^.

Oh, neat, a smiley list

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 23:59
Yes I put my head on the block by saying I didn't like it, but it was the truth - normally when I do this I dont give just a bit of constructive criticism but also code snippets and practical or theoretical help in solving problems. In this thread however the author was not involved, as far as I could tell he wasn't even on the forums anymore so doing so would have been pretty futile. Welcome back SW.

I've now played the demo of SW3 and i've kindly been given some keys to check out the main game when I get some time: from the demo it certainly seems much improved, only subtely but it's a huge difference - there are things though that if I had written it I would change, and i'll be talking directly via email about those aspects when i've played the full game.

Pneumatic

PS: I've done plenty in DBC, but I believe it's a bit strict to say I have to have released a commercial game using an old version of a compiler in order to have an opinion.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 13:34:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 13:34:26