Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Wrapper for C#

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 19:02
Has anyone ever thought about creating a wrapper for the SDK so that it could be used in a C# application? I think this would greatly expand the Dark SDK userbase who are limited to only being able to use Visual C++. Then teams could use Sharp Develop to write their games in C#.

Just a thought...
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 19:11
Yes, and the license agreement that comes with the C++ library specifically disallows you doing it.

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Jimmy 9 Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 19:24
That's too bad.

TGC could really make a lot of money if they were to do this.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 00:30
Actually I would agree with that, but I know there are limitations, and understand it, and when and if its ready to go further than C++ then it will (hopefully)

"I want to put a bullet through my head everytime I think of you!!!"- Slayer
Jimmy 9 Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 14:04 Edited at: 15th Feb 2006 14:15
Far be it from me to violate any licensing issues. I'm sure TGC has their reasons. It really IS something TGC should be considering though. IMHO.

Imagine: DarkSDK.Net

It wouldn't be limitted to the PC world either. Imagine making it available to Linux or Macintosh via Mono(http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page) and Open GL.

-J9t
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 22:35
The core of DarkSDK is reliant on windows and DirectX - using .NET won't change that.

Lee has also stated that he won't be converting to OpenGL, but maybe circumstances can change that. But it's not just Direct3D, it's DirectInput, DirectPlay, the multimedia functions, registry functions, media libraries etc. and finding replacements for those that are cross-platform.

Ain't gonna happen, at least, not for a very long time.

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 23:39 Edited at: 15th Feb 2006 23:41
I agree that adding support for non-Windows platforms as Jimmy was suggestion would require a near rewrite, but creating a wrapper for Windows-only managed languages (most notably C#, but maybe VB.Net or C++ Managed) should be doable. Not easy, certainly not a week's jobbie, but certainly feasible.

People have done these wrappers for Ogre, Irrlicht etc etc... so dgsdk would be possible too. In actual fact it should be easier than said engines, since dgsdk is totally statement based, with no objects.

And my guess is, if someone were to do a wrapper that still requires you to buy dgsdk to work (say you create a proxy Assembly that needs to be on the same dir than some DLL you create from the lib's), TGC would be quite thankful for the $upport...
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 01:17
I can see why Lee won't be converting to GL, seen how much code goes into a spinning cube.
If you want to develop mac, use Ogre, irrlicht (as said) or Torque as SDK's or use Unity (Requires a Mac but can export to PC depending on the version) or BlitzMax, there are 3D packages for it, or you could openly code open gl with it

Or just development with C#, you could use 3D State's SDK, that has C# specific support as well as other programming languages
or Truevision SDK, which will be releasing its new update soon (which will be a lot more powerful)

Kewl looking SDK's are Ogre and TV3D, but Ogre seems to kill my FPS rate

Jimmy 9 Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 03:38
Well the one thing I liked about DB Pro and the Dark SDK was the full DirectX 9 support. I was just stabbing at ideas when I mentioned cross platform, and open GL.

I would LOVE to see a 3D engine as easy to use as Dark SDK take advantage of the full richness of C#.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 22:54:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 22:54:11