Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Old School

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 05:35
Yay, hot topiced! Or however you'd spell that...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 05:49 Edited at: 28th Mar 2006 05:55
Added double jump and power slam. The games basic physics combined with the many moves controlled by four buttons have led me to unintentionally creating a combo system of sorts.

For instance, if you do a double jump and then dive very high across a gap, and then power slam to the ground before you skid into a wall of spikes or into the water. Another situation is if you power slam just before you fall onto a spring, and you instantly have the maximum bounce height on the spring, no gradual increase. It's very basic but extremely awesome. I'm having loads of fun with this part.

The only problem is getting the effects to look just the way I want them to. But I'm getting there, so I'll show some pics of the new moves soon.

Here’s a list of all the moves in the game so far… I think. I might be forgetting some:
-Jump
-Double Jump
-Duck
-Dive
-Power Slam
-Smash
-Run
-Bounce

And to add so far...:
-Bomb Toss
-Roll

Edit:
Quote: "This game taking heavy influence from the Paper Mario games?"

Actualy no, but I can see why it might look that way.

Quote: "Yay, hot topiced! Or however you'd spell that..."

Huh? where?

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 17:24
Quote: "Huh? where?"

you know, the red folder that shows up when you pass a certain number of posts

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 04:58 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 00:23
Quote: "you know, the red folder that shows up when you pass a certain number of posts"
Ah, ok. I thought something had happened like it had been stickied or put under that little hot banner at the top of the forums. But that's good!!

Well, for the sake of awesomeness among other things, here are some new pics.

This is Kreg in the middle of a power slam:

This is a shot from one of the finalized explosions in action:

And this is Kreg doing a double jump:

I've planed out a ton of new things to add, and I expect to make a lot of progress this weekend.

Prepare for rolling, hanging, and bomb throwing!!!!

TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 05:08
very, very sexay, almost as sexay as mwuah

Snow Wars is making its return, check out the Game Design Theory board for more info...
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 05:47
[href]

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 17:27 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2006 04:48
Quote: "almost as sexay as mwuah"

To tell the truth, I'm not sure that was a compliment.

Quote: " "

?

Well, I've decided to go in a totally different direction with Old School; I'm about 3/5ths done. Here's a screenie!

Edit: I delted the pick. It was an april fools joke, but for those of you who missed it, it was a screen from Halo 2.

I'm getting Mark Twain to do all my voice-overs, and Isaac Asimov has agreed to write the story. I expect to be finished in about seven and a half hours, and it will be an mmofps with a ten thousand kilometer map and no load times.

The new title shale be, Old School: The Next Generation.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 18:12
And I'm sure Microsoft will just lurve the money your going to give them...

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
lol...but why would you want to follow in the footsteps of Halo 2 anyways? The game sucks. (Oh, no! I've just committed a heresy!)

Nice looking game, Bizar. I love to unique style, which is something all too many games lack. I'll definetly be keeping an eye on your progress!

http://myopia.c-reality.com - programming + life
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 18:23
I just have to say nice graphics, never thought it would turn into a FPS, must say can't wait

Sho Ryu Ken
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "1st Apr 2006 09:27 "

Haha! Good one! I didn't fall for it, of course. Still funny, though!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 03:31 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2006 04:49
Yeah, April Fools!!!

To set the record strait though, I pretty much hate the fps genre as a whole. I'd say the only fps's I actually like are the two half life games. And even those two games I pretty much suck at. So basically you'll probably never see an fps made by me, although who knows... Maybe I'll find a way to make one I really like...

I'll post some updates soon... I hope.

___________________________Edit_____________________________
In case any of you don't know, I've got a 3D cartoon multidimensional puzzle adventure on the program announcements board called BlockVerse, which I'm afraid people are ignoring it because of the uncool sounding name. If you haven't already downloaded the final version (version 1.3), I highly recommend downloading it, and then posting about it in its thread...

Here's a link to the screenshots: http://www.bizargames.com/Games/BlockVerse/Screenshots/tabid/486/Default.aspx
And Here's a link to the thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=73433&b=5

Sorry about intruding with my other game into this thread, but I'd really like more people to try it.

David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 16:55 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2006 16:56
have you thought about adding some lighting? might make it look a little better & less bright.(unless your using all sprites.)

looks good now though.
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 18:36
This is superb lighting would ruin it!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 18:40 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2006 18:42
Quote: "have you thought about adding some lighting? might make it look a little better & less bright.(unless your using all sprites.)"

Umm... it's supposed to be bright... That's why I set the ambience level to 100...

Maybe you missed this, but if I gave it lighting it wouldn't look like a cartoon anymore, and the results would be horrible. And considering this is all 3d, I don't see how I'd use sprites... All my objects are textured plains...

Just so you know, I'm a cartoonist, and my specialty is graphics of this type. Not on the computer maybe, but you may have noticed I'm getting pretty good at it on one. Don't post such an arrogant comment again or I'll have my killer penguin thing hunt you down and eat you.

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 18:41
Quote: "Don't post such an arrogant comment again or I'll have my killer penguin thing hunt you down and eat you. "

and just for proof!

Bizar guys army!

Sho Ryu Ken
Years of Service
User Offline
@Bizar Guy

I've downloaded BlockVerse. I just gotta play it now. I'm doing that right after I post this...
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 06:57 Edited at: 20th Apr 2006 17:10
Sorry... I've been kind of sick as of late, and have done little programming. I'm still working on this, but I can't promise many updates this week. I will try and have the engine finished and maybe even the first "real" demo ready sometime within the next two weeks however.

And I was referring to my avatar Sunrise...
...I hope you didn't take that threat seriously David; I just meant that I wouldn't be adding any "real" lighting.
Trust me. It will look right when I'm done.

Edit: Hmm... I know I knew it at one point, but how do you make an image into a link?

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 07:11
Finishing the engine is talking longer than I thought...

I also just found that the coin/chicks were slowing down the game like 20fps. I have no idea why, as they had very low res textures, and the coin code itself accounted for very little of the slowdown. I'm pretty sure it isn't the number of polys though.

I'll see if I can keep the gameplay as good without them... They didn't exactly amount to much, but now the levels will be much emptier.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 12:32
As always, looking like a fun and graphically rich game.

Quote: " also just found that the coin/chicks were slowing down the game like 20fps."

How are you creating all of them? If you're cloning them, you can save yourself tons of FPS by using Instance Object.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 03:31
Quote: "How are you creating all of them? If you're cloning them, you can save yourself tons of FPS by using Instance Object."

I'll clone them and do that. Thanks, cash.

...I'm just posting to say this isn't dead...

I've been kind of in a non-programing mood, and haven't really done much. Not to say that progress has stopped, just that it's going reeeaaallly slllloooowwwwllly.

Hopefuly this is temporary, and I'll be back in full force on Old School soon.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 05:48
I hope so Bizar Guy... For your sake.

Your goose is cooked.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 9th May 2006 09:09
Very nice game! I also like smb games!
Keep up the good work!

@sho ryu ken
This is kind of off topic, but, is you user name based off of what i think it is? I can say it, but i dont know if you would find it personal or not. I dont.

I have the BEST signature ever! I bet you cant guess what it is!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 00:08
Well, I've started working on this again, and I've cleaned up the code quite a bit and improved the fps. I've also started re-working on the HUD, as I think the yellow is making that game a bit too bright, and I've curved it up a bit to make it look like the rest of the game.

Tell me what you think;

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 02:32
Wow, this is looking really great! I love your art style (in both this and blockverse), it's completely different to any other cartoony stuff I've ever seen.

Judging by the screens, the new HUD doesn't really make much of a difference, to be honest. However, in-game, I can imagine the yellow one giving me a headache quite easily. The green one looks like it should be much easier on the eyes. Can't really tell from the screens though.

IceBound -No, really-We're quite good.
jawchild
Years of Service
User Offline
cool. gotta love the oldies
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 01:42
Have you considered giving the player the option of different colors? I personally like the Yellow over the Green, but I could easily see someone having a different opinion.

Why make sense when you could make brownies?
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 02:17
How's this?

Thanks Bahamut and jawchild!

@Mattman, that’s a good idea, but I'd like to get the color just right so no one has to switch it. Don't take anything you see here as final. I may change any of this at any point to make it better, but I'll never make it worse if I can help it. I'm always glad when someone critiques me, as long as they're not saying something that’s baseless (what you said wasn’t but I’ve gotten so pretty strange suggestions before).

Oh and btw, how’s the song coming?

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 04:13
The green was a queasy shade, that's the only thing I didn't like about it.

PS. Good. I'll email you a new copy in a week or so, feel free to email me reminders

I love how this is looking man! Keep up the great work.

Why make sense when you could make brownies?
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 23:58 Edited at: 21st May 2006 23:58
Alright, UPDATE.

I've added some significantly better placeholder sound effects, mostly ripped from Mario games. I'll be replacing them with my own sound effects later, but for now, these will do.

Also, the game is now running much faster, and I'm hoping to release a second beta-playground demo soon. After that, I'll design a full demo which will include a specially made level, as well as something close to the final menu system. Once the game is at full speed however, I'll add an enemy or two before even the first of the two demos mentioned.

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 15:44
I... must... be... patient... AHHHH!!!!

hehe sorry about that. I agree with mattman on the color of HUD. That green kind of just doesn't look right. looks great Bizar Guy and keep it up. Can't wait for the next beta test and then demo level

The nintendo Wii. Okay...
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 07:38
Don't wory about the HUD being green, the latest pic shows the current HUD.

Well, I've added an enemy which I've had on my mind for months, but I'll wait a bit before posting a screen of him(12:30am )

No real speed boost since the last update, but I've shrunk the code about 200 lines and have seriously cleaned it up. And I'm not even half done yet with organising and optomising the code.

Well, my eyelids hurt and my ability to comprehend things is starting to fail, so I'd better go to sleep now...zzzzzzzzzzzz

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 01:18 Edited at: 25th May 2006 01:23
Alright, I'm much more awake now. Here's a pic of the awesome new enemy.

...The chainball silo!!!!

It shoots up out of it's silo on a timer, and then falls back down. The only part that hurts you is the spike ball itself, so you can actually run under it while it's out. A bunch of these in a row would be really great, especially if they have multiple timers.

I've got some new camera issues that have poped up as I optimize it, but it shouldn't take long to fix it. A few more items and a bit more boost in the fps, and I'll release the second playground engine.

Edit: I've also decided not to have a large coin system. I realized there was no good reason to have one in the game, so instead there will be three "special" coins in each level. They'll be hard to get, but you'll be able to use them to purchase items at the store. I'm not still not sure how the final levels will work, although I'm really liking the idea of backtracking every so often in the levels.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 03:20
Hey, update 6.1 fixed all issues with instanced objects. If you wanted coins, you could now...

In the past I did it with trees. I could scale, rotate, and position them without any problems.

Come see the WIP!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 06:10 Edited at: 31st May 2006 06:11
Thanks for that cash, I'll make sure I get that upgrade soon.

Unfortunately, this is being made in dbc, mainly because dbpro hates my gravity code, and also because I still need to become a master of optimization. If this were in dbpro, I'd be getting a max of 150-200 fps, rather than 60-70.

With that said, the code is looking quite awesome right now, and I'll be releasing the next demo within...14 days, probably about half that.

...I don't mean to brag, but damn this is a fun game. I don't even have any real levels yet, and everyone who tests it has trouble getting off of it. I'm definitely going all the way with the kreg games. You'll be seeing a lot of him even after I finish this project.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 13:36
Can't wait for the new demo. Roll on 7-14 days!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 15:40
This will be the longest 7-14 days of my life...

Not only for this, but this is a new big part of the wait...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 07:15 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 22:02
Thanks both!

I've been kind of delayed lately, but I'm planning on releasing it Saturday, as I really don't have any other times to. It should be pretty optimized, and will hopefully have everything but bombs added move-wise. Expect 5-7 enemies.

There are two reasons for the slowdown in development. One is that I'm going away for a month soon, which I need to prepare for, and straiten up things before I leave (I may or may not be programming during this time). The second is that I just dug up Black & White and have become hooked on it... One of the best simulations ever, if you ask me.

Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 13:50
nice, i want to see more :d

I am against the fact that one is not for,sometimes it is the opposite (Google translation ) :p
Atari 2600 mega-overcloked (quake 3 FPS : 280)
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2006 17:39 Edited at: 11th Jun 2006 17:45
OLD SCHOOL BETA ENGINE 2!!

It's here! Hooray!!! I was afraid that I wouldn't make it until next month when I got back to my normal comp yesterday, but as you can see, it's here.

The controls are in the readme file, and if you want to check the framerate press the spacebar. It should be much faster, but I can't be sure, as I'm not entirely done with optimizing it.

Download from...
My site,
This registration free link,
or the bottom of this post.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2006 18:41
AWESOME!
Really nice music and sound effects!
One thing that I think that you need is some kind of checkpoint system. Wasn´t it you who told me to add one in my game?
Well anyway, that would make it easier for noob-gamers like me.
And, will there be a thrilling story or is Kreg just out having fun?
Keep up the good work Bizar Guy!

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow. Very fun! I agree with zzz about the checkpoint system.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 15:36
I got errored! the Archive was corrupt... ( I downloaded from your site)

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 20:42
YAY! Downloading...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 00:58 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 06:10
I'm glad people like it! Although I must admit, I was expecting a few more people would take interest...

Quote: "One thing that I think that you need is some kind of checkpoint system. Wasn´t it you who told me to add one in my game?"

Yes, it was. And I can guarantee you there will be a check point system. Ether one or two checkpoints per level, three if the level is big enough. However, this demo isn't really in any sort of level. It's more of a playground, and it doesn't extend very far in either direction. Just far enough for me to test everything I want. The next demo will be in a specially made demo level, which will have two check points.

Quote: "And, will there be a thrilling story or is Kreg just out having fun?"

Kerg's definitely going to have some fun, but there's a pretty epic story to go with it. Not very epic compared to what most of my games will be, but more epic than BlockVerse. Heh, there's a reason all the baddies are robots... Expect the story to have some tie-ins to BlockVerse's story, like the multiple dimensions, and the doors as well.

Quote: "I got errored! the Archive was corrupt... ( I downloaded from your site)"

Hmm, that's strange; the download on my site works fine for me... Well, there are three different places to download it from, and I'm sure at least one of the others will work for you.

EVERYONE:
Could people give me the fps they get while playing? Press the spacebar to view the fps.

Also, I plan to change the item activate key from control to shift, as some computers don't have a control key right next to the arrow keys. And I'm going to make it timer based, as I'm running out of ways to optimize it.

Edit:

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 12:21 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 12:22
I got 47fps, after one sec it dropped down to 35, that´s because dbc suck at printing text i think.
And yes, make it timer based! I made some sort of deltatiming in SH, and it runs so much better now.
And I´ll definitely buy this!

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 22:51
Looks amazing dude

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 20:59
31 fps constant on my parent's not-so-good computer. Absolutely brilliant from the looks of it! Great fun and graphical style.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 21:00
Will try other downloads.

How much of a demo will you release? I won't be able to buy it, not because of the price but because of the fact my mom is very distrustfull of non-multimillion dollar web entrepreneurs.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-28 23:19:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-28 23:19:58