Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / New Winsock2.2 Plugin - Free Multiplayer & Network Enhancement Pack for DBPro!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 21:16
Barnski your diligent continuation of this plugin is an admirable contribution to the community. Bravo!

What is happening to them[the children] is the only thing they've known. The whole system of values is turned upside down: a child is appreciated and loved if it earns money by stealing
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 22:10 Edited at: 13th Aug 2006 22:57
Thanks for your kindness guys..

Unfortunately I am still wandering in the dark about the dll problem. I have no clue why it works perfectly well on my system (with never a problem or a crash), but not on yours izaboo.

Thilbert McTwich or how he calls him self by now, suggested to check for the mfc80.dll
If it is missing on your system then download and try the plugin with it.

edit: I run depends.exe on the dll and I couldnt find mfc80.dll
however, these are some important dlls you might want to check if you have or need to get / update / repair (in your system32 folder I guess):

these are just an extract of a longer list....

izaboo
Years of Service
User Offline
I have all of those plugins and they are all installed. I dont know whats wrong. I would just reinstall my old winsock plugin but it got overwritin when i extracted the new one

BTW if you have the old ones still could send them my way? lol i cant do any thing to my project with out it.
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 20:11 Edited at: 4th Sep 2006 19:33
@izaboo
try this dll, it is the same version, but it is compiled in release mode. tell me if it works.
edit; the dll can now be found on my little plugin website:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/barnski/main.htm

izaboo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah it works. I loaded up my projects with it and they work great i also loaded up the examples they work too.
Essence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 22:08
I'm getting a HARD crash with the original DLL (full pack download).
Or it tells me that the compiler couldnt load the dll.

I downloaded the one that you posted above, and it works good so far.

PS. using u6.2b

Essence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 23:33
OK this sucks...

Even the chat example thingy doesnt work O_o
It doesnt give an error, but it just has this strange bug.

This same thing also happens when i just try to make a
simple server/client connection test program.

screenie:
http://www.a4o.nl/winsockbug.jpg

I'm going crazy here x_x
Help?

Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 21:59
New Update Available

Quote: "Yeah it works. I loaded up my projects with it and they work great i also loaded up the examples they work too."

Quote: "I'm getting a HARD crash with the original DLL (full pack download).
Or it tells me that the compiler couldnt load the dll.

I downloaded the one that you posted above, and it works good so far."

Okay thanks for the report. Sadly but apparently, on some PCs the debug dll does not work. The debug dll shows some additional error reporting message boxes before your application crashes (because of an error you made in dbpro or I did in the dll).
For those with load crashes the only remedy I have at the moment is to use the release dll version. It has exactly the same functionalities, is even smaller and faster, just doesnt print nice message boxes before it crashes...

I have put up a website where you can download my plugins and get information and links. You will from now on also find the release dll version there:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/barnski/main.htm

Quote: "Even the chat example thingy doesnt work O_o
It doesnt give an error, but it just has this strange bug.

This same thing also happens when i just try to make a
simple server/client connection test program."

Thanks for reporting. I introduced this bug with my last update (not on purpose of course).
This bug is FIXED now. and this time tested! the chat example is update a little bit and runs fine.

Hint: Always make sure to disable the firewall / to open the port for the server.

Okay I hope you guys enjoy!

Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 00:30 Edited at: 18th Oct 2006 19:33
This is just a little newsflash, and a note to myself.

Following new command ideas/requests will be implemented soon:
commands for sending/recieving other data types with TCP streams: byte, word, dword, int, float
A channel group mechanism that will let you create groups for channels; add channels to that group, send message to the entire group, refresh the group to check for incoming data, disconnect the group, delete the group, and an optional flag to delete also the channels.

As I started to work on the first idea, I realized I need to extend the recieving mechanism of TCP altogether. Hence a new idea arose:
Make an indicator of data overflow; new command that returns 1 if your program is too slow to recieve the incoming data (this does not yet mean that data is lost).
I also realised that there is a danger of a READ buffer overflow, which has to be dealt with:

[errata]
the following was not correct:
Quote: " Recieving strings with the normal "winsock recv string" command can cause the dll to read over the end of the data buffer, if the string is not 0 terminated. I will change this to use a length indicator at the beginning of the string."

instead, the whole buffer was treated as a string and then null-terminated. Since we now want to distinguish data from being string and variables of other data types, I need to indicate where the string stops. I did this now with a two byte length indicator at the beginning of the string.
[/errata]

These are the news, for those who care.
Thanks for your attention

TobiasWK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 01:13 Edited at: 1st Oct 2006 01:15
been using your dll for a chat function in my game. I have begun looking at my game again and now it does not work anymore, thats with the newest 1.0.0.0 release.

just get an illegal program error after compiling and running.

EDIT:
also tested with the examples you made yourself... they dont work either

keep up the good work!

Need a place for your images? Try uploadimago.net
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 22:06
Hi,

it looks like the dll does need .NET Framework 2.0 installed on the machine where the program is to be executed.
Try to install .NET 2.0 and see if it helps!

If this is the case, I will probably switch back to MS Visual Studio 2003, which didn't had this dependancy. I am using 2005.NET now.

same goes for my other plugin...

greets,
Barnski

Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2006 19:40 Edited at: 18th Oct 2006 19:48
New BETA version available

In the last month I have implemented a whole bunch of new commands, and just now I finished the channel-group mechanism.

I release only a beta, because I still have to make the documentation for the new commands, and some testing. I hope you can help me with the testing. There is one new example using the group commands; WinsockPluginServer_group.dbpro

Here is a list of the new commands:

Now go find the bugs!

Oh one more thing; I tried to remove the .NET 2.0 dependency. I have removed .NET completely on my machine and it still works. However, it would be cool if someone else can confirm this.

edit: Here is the download link. I only post it here, not on the website, since it is a BETA.
http://n.ethz.ch/student/bussb/download.php?id=BarnskisWinsockPlugin_1.1.0BETA.zip

D Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 02:44
If I wanted to integrate network capabilities into my DBP program, I would use your DLL, Barnski.
Really great stuff!

God is real, unless declared integer.
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 18:34
Quote: "If I wanted to integrate network capabilities into my DBP program, I would use your DLL, Barnski.
Really great stuff!"

Thanks D-man,
and if I was still using DBPro instead of DarkGDK for my bigger projects, I would use your DBPrecompiler

ICERGB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 12:22 Edited at: 29th Oct 2006 12:25
I am not seeing much in the way of snippets???
If I had some basic to go on code I would love to use it.

But right now I am just as equally scared to use DBpro's built in networking functions.

Most people would just want a chat back and forth and have game play packets sent back and forth.

if I would use tcp for text, and udp for the game... the game chat would be in text and most likely the game code as well even though it is sent over udp.

Where the game code would probably be something like this "user=3_x1=2_x2=300_x3=300_f1=1_fx1=400_fxy1=300"

It would be nice just to get some simple code to see if I can use it. (I know you do alot of pretty neat coding under short notice, but I think I need some links to some code snippets.)

Any functional snippets with a bit of commenting in it around?

Cheers!
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 00:05
Quote: "I am not seeing much in the way of snippets???
If I had some basic to go on code I would love to use it.
"

There are examples included in the download pack! Have you checked them out yet?

Quote: "Most people would just want a chat back and forth and have game play packets sent back and forth."

There is also a chat example.

ICERGB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 22:07
Don't know where my head was; Thanks, found them. I swear I couldn't find them before.
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 13:46
I was asked how to implement a UDP server. I am sure there can be found alot of information about this when searching for or in the wikipedia.

I give here just two quick ideas:

1. one channel serves 'em all
the udp server creates one udp channel and binds it to a port.
all udp clients send their packets to the host on that port.
for every packet the host receives, it processes it and responds using the WINSOCK REMOTE HOST$() and WINSOCK REMOTE PORT() commands to get the sender and setting it with WINSOCK SET TARGET.

2. one channel per client
this method imitates the tcp method, but using UDP. the udp server creates a udp channel and binds it to a port. when a message from a client arrives, the server will create a new udp channel to communicate with that client. to be able to penetrate the clients firewall, this is best done in a passive way: the server responds with its main "listen" channel and tells the client to which port he shall communicate (to this port the server has bound a new udp channel). then the client continues to communicate with that port.
like that the server has a channel open for every client he serves.

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 20:25
Barnski I've been looking at your WinsockPluginServer/Client example, and I have to ask : why are you making 1000 connections for the client? would it not be normal in a multiplayer game for example, to have 1 channel per client ?

What is happening to them[the children] is the only thing they've known. The whole system of values is turned upside down: a child is appreciated and loved if it earns money by stealing
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 23:36
Quote: "Barnski I've been looking at your WinsockPluginServer/Client example, and I have to ask : why are you making 1000 connections for the client? would it not be normal in a multiplayer game for example, to have 1 channel per client ?"

You are absolutely right, this example is just to demonstrate and test the maximum amount of active channels you can have. On my machine when I set a connection amount of 8000 I get connection errors at about 7777, meaning I can't open any more connections on my machine. since I connected locally I can multiply this by 2, resulting in a 15000 max. amount of connections on my machine. test it yourself!

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2006 01:55
thanks for replying!
is it possible that we will get some examples specifically for tcp packets anytime soon?

koshii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 21:41 Edited at: 11th Nov 2006 22:26
I found a bug in the beta version, I've already email it to you but I haven't gotten a reply in awhile so..

When I use the command winsock remote host$(chnl), in the beta version it returns the ip 16.127.0.0 when it should be 127.0.0.1 so it seems some bytes got shifted over or something. It works fine in the previous version, it's only the beta version that's having this problem.

[edit]
Oh and the commands
client(i).ip = winsock remote host$(client(i).tcp_chnl)
client(i).port = winsock remote port(client(i).tcp_chnl)
or
client(i).ip = winsock remote host$(tcp_chnl)
client(i).port = winsock remote port(tcp_chnl)

for TCP doesn't seem to work in either version, I'm not sure if I have it setup wrong or what. I run these commands right after the server recieved a TCP msg just like I did with UDP, but these commands return the err.

Assertion failed!
File: ..\shared\cchannel.cpp
(DebugV) Line: 266 (for host commands) / Line: 272 (for port commands)
(BetaV) Line: 275 (for host commands) / Line: 281 (for port commands)

Expression: CChannel::type == SOCKET_TYPE_UDP || (CChannel::type == SOCKET_TYPE_UDP && CChannel::state == SOCKET_STATE_CONNECTED)

Also the keyword .ini file prevents the IDE CodeSurge from bolding the all commands, I'm guessing the ';messages' are suppost to be comments, so to get it to work I removed '-' (subtraction sign) in the very first comment of the file and it worked.

... does the noise in my head bother you?
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 20:16
Thanks koshii for your report. I got your last email but haven't had time to check the bug and respond.

The bug obviously came from merging the retrieval functionality of tcp and udp remote host.

I hope I can fix that bug soon and release a new version along with the help files for the new commands.

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 18:03
is there a way to determine if the incoming msg is data , string etc ?

Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 19:28
Quote: "is there a way to determine if the incoming msg is data , string etc ?"

This is in your hands to implement...
Normally, you would first specify with a byte or two what data follows... and how long it is. (why? because everything is built up using bytes... how can you tell whether a series of bytes is a string, a couple of ints, or a jpg? you need to indicate this to your partner, either by a packet identification header or like an xml format: <int>123</int>.... but this blows up ur traffic)

Btw, what kind of example for TCP packet sending are you asking for? There is the "data" transfer example, which transfers a file using TCP packet commands.

But as I already said earlier, file or large data transfer is better done using a memblock containing the data and then hand in the memblock pointer to the dll. remember though, that the maximum size per send command may not exceed 8192 bytes. so you may have to truncate your memblock into pieces. actually, this is easily done by getting the memblock pointer and then adding 8192 to it. then it will point into the memblock location of the 8192's byte in the memblock (starting from 0).

Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 20:19
New Beta Version available

The latest beta is 1.1.0BETA2
http://n.ethz.ch/student/bussb/download.php?id=BarnskisWinsockPlugin_1.1.0BETA2.zip

@koshii
Can you test it with your code whether the followings things are fixed correctly:

Quote: "When I use the command winsock remote host$(chnl), in the beta version it returns the ip 16.127.0.0 when it should be 127.0.0.1 so it seems some bytes got shifted over or something."

Quote: "for TCP doesn't seem to work in either version"

Quote: "Also the keyword .ini file prevents the IDE CodeSurge from bolding the all commands, I'm guessing the ';messages' are suppost to be comments, so to get it to work I removed '-' (subtraction sign) in the very first comment of the file and it worked."

the last one is just to tell that I changed it.

I am not sure if number 1 works already

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 01:45
well, I tried changing the chat server examples to use this method, but no luck.. I'd be very gratefull if you could give the code a look.
thx (attatched)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
koshii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 06:41 Edited at: 14th Nov 2006 06:59
Okay cool client(i).ip = winsock remote host$(client(i).chnl), client(i).tport = winsock remote port(client(i).chnl) work now.

But I still get the ip 16.127.0.0 bug, I don't think there's anything wrong with what I've coded, all I did to try to get the ip was ..

Then I loop through the clients and output the IPs, I've also just straight printed out the IPs and got the same result.

Oh and um the keyword thing still doesn't work, maybe it has something to do with the return lines :s because in the release version it worked fine and every line without a command had a ';'. I guess it wasn't the subtraction sign, sorry.

koshii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 03:13
The IP thing is my only problem, everything else seems to work, when is this going to get fixed?

Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 00:05
Quote: "The IP thing is my only problem, everything else seems to work, when is this going to get fixed?
"

I fixed it. I tested it with TCP. for UDP it should work alike.
I will release a new BETA soon, working around with some other little things (like application not closing for 30sec if other partner quit forcefully). and then there are still the documentations to be done..

meanwhile, I attach my current working version of the debug dll.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
koshii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 00:20 Edited at: 20th Nov 2006 00:28
Awesome thanks alot.

EDIT] Works great
I'm not having the problem where it closes after a client leaves. Seems to work perfect here

Smilies!!

izaboo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 21:01 Edited at: 27th Dec 2006 21:02
Hey Barnski! its me again lol. I just got a new computer and i was installing dbp and all my fav plugins and i cant get your new one to work. When i run an example program out of the help folder it crashes. Its not a dbp error its a windows send error message.

The new computer is running windows media center but it think all it is is windows home edition with some media software installed lol

i think i had this problem before along time ago.
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 09:58
I believe this is because from what I have heard that his plugin requires .NET framework, which if it does is it possible you could make a version that does not require .NET? I would like to use a version that does not require it so that users can use it right off the bat

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
izaboo
Years of Service
User Offline
i have .net farmework installed and it still does not work...
Blue Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Getting this error message when I try to run the example server code (very VERY slightly modified).

Any suggestions? Starting my first networked game and like the looks of this add-on but perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Latest .Net installed. Tried with both the debug .dll and the non-debug but no difference.

server.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Signatures are a waste of bytes.
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 23:43
hi,

those crashes are a pain, I thought the plugin didn't require .NET anymore.
if it does, it might be that it needs both version; .Net 1.1 and .NET 2.

any other than that I cant help right now. sry.

It is in my interest that the plugin does NOT require .NET! since its unmanaged c++. and it should already be working without. on my machine it worked after uninstalling .NET completely (also the SDK). but you can never trust windows... hiding .NET somewhere?
or maybe, its something completely different. dont know.

as soon as I recovered my PC from the crash (speaking of windows.. ) and reinstalled the system, I will try the old VS2003 again. but as I have exams soon, I ll have to delay that.
but keep me posted with probs!

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2007 21:04
Ok that would be cool I dont know for sure if it requires .NET but this is what I have been told, other then that I think your plugin is great, I have had no problems with it.

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 03:10
Barnski I've been trying to make a game using your winsock tcp string commands, but I was wondering ...
is it best if I send one string per frame of my game? so that others can receive it? because now I am sending strings more than once in every frame, and I think they are not all being received on the other end.
thx

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 00:35 Edited at: 27th Jan 2007 03:50
Barnski,

I am trying to get your dll to work under DBPro 6.3, but am getting the error "Failed to load DLL (2: Barnski'sWinsockPlugin_debug.dll)".

I do _not_ receive this error when using the release version of the DLL. With the release version, all the examples work perfectly _except_ the UDP_SENDER example -- that one runs, connects (for both sender and receiver), but does not seem able to send or receive UDP data.

I am using the 1.0.0 version of your plugin that is in the first post.

Thank you.
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 18:53
@Yian
Yes, its better to collect all data you d like to send and then send it once every 0.xx seconds, or, once per frame.
But there should never be a dataloss (except when the receiver buffer is overflown(full), which you can test with the appropriate command WINSOCK RECVBUFFER OVERLOW or the like).But if both apps are running smoothly that shouldnt be a problem. On the receiver side you should receive everything, such that the messages do not pile up.

@Omen
I havent tried DBP 6.3 yet.
As vor the dll version; try downloading the newest BETA release, or just use the 1.0.0 'release' version.
the newest BETA is in a post of mine, should be this link:

http://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/?i=1052097
1.1.0 BETA 2 (yet undocummented new commands)

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 17:27
Barnski,

I researched the crash bugs I saw on some systems when using your DLL and discovered something that might help you:

When I look at your DLL in Dependency Walker (depends.exe), I can see that on some systems I am getting the "Side-by-Side" error. Take a look at this webpage:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=23261

This is what is happening: Visual Studio 2005 (and possibly 2003 as well) are embedding an incorrect manifest into your DLL.

I think this will solve the crash bugs that some people are experiencing with your DLL.

I don't think this will solve the issue of the "debug" version not running under dbpro 6.3, but hopefully it provide you some help.
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 20:30
Built chat server ok, but when it runs it crashes. I'm using DBP 1.06 does it have to be exactly 1.062?

http://www.KumKie.com http://bulldog.servegame.com
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 12:54 Edited at: 14th Feb 2007 12:56
Quote: "I researched the crash bugs I saw on some systems when using your DLL and discovered something that might help you...]
This is what is happening: Visual Studio 2005 (and possibly 2003 as well) are embedding an incorrect manifest into your DLL."

Thanks Omen, I investigated further and I am hoping that the installation of the Service Pack 1 for VS2005 will fix that problem. I will compile the dll with that for the next version (or beta).

Quote: "Built chat server ok, but when it runs it crashes. I'm using DBP 1.06 does it have to be exactly 1.062?"

Does it crash immediatly at start of the dbp app? If so, then it might be the problem discussed above. You can either install .NET Framework 2.0 or wait for the next dll version I release (which hopefully will finally remove that crash bug).

edit: my plugin should work with any dbp version of 5.8 upwards I guess. 6.0, 6.2, 6.3, should all work, however, as reported it seems in 6.3 only release dll works currently.

If Statement
Years of Service
User Offline
I found a bug, Barnski. For some reason, in the standard release DLL, UDP doesn't seem to work at all, although TCP works perfectly. When running your sample client/server and mousep2p programs which use UDP, the instances do not communicate with each other on any of my test PCs (I have two...one newer and one older).

Printing out variables in the software, I find that the server doesn't seem to be receiving any packets. I figure there may be a problem in the send udp message command. Any ideas on this?
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 17:40 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2007 17:47
New Update available: 1.2.0

I finally found the time to bring everything up to date and collecting the new changes into a new version.

First good news is, that the plugin should no longer suffer from startcrashes on some machines. That is you can use the debug dll version now without problems.

Second, I added 11 new commands for channel group management. They were already in the 1.1.0BETA2, but undocumented. Now they are fully explained in the online help and in the download help.

Quote: "I found a bug, Barnski. For some reason, in the standard release DLL, UDP doesn't seem to work at all, although TCP works perfectly. When running your sample client/server and mousep2p programs which use UDP, the instances do not communicate with each other on any of my test PCs (I have two...one newer and one older).

Printing out variables in the software, I find that the server doesn't seem to be receiving any packets. I figure there may be a problem in the send udp message command. Any ideas on this? "

I was able to reproduce the problem. I will look at it and release a fix version 1.2.1.
Too bad I didn't look at this earlier. I checked only TCP functionality for this version 1.2.0.

edit: (reminder)The plugin does NOT require .NET! It should run on any win32 compatible system!
You can download the plugin from my website (signature) or see my first post.

Greetz,
Barnski

Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 15:42
New Bugfix available: 1.2.1

I corrected the datatype specification for BYTE and WORD for some commands in the dll string table. I also added this necessary line to the mouse_p2p example:

global packet_type as BYTE

Whenever a command requires a byte or word as parameter, then the variable should have exactly that type!
literals and constants can be used normally since dbpro will define their type according to command parameter specification.

Just to make some advertisement and to get some lost sheeps back to my plugin:
This is the best version ever released! It works on all machines without .NET!

I hope you guys who had problems can try it again and report that it works!

Thanks and have fun!

PS; the download page is as usual my plugins website (signature).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:33:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:33:43