Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dumbow & Cool Large Upgrade - Follow it!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 12:04 Edited at: 3rd May 2006 12:09
You can already get your hands on it: it's on sale right now!
(Upgrades will of course also be available for free as they are finished).

Thanks for the interest man.

The end is near
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2006 00:53
i suggest redoing the voice-overs

stargate sg-1 the one show that never gets old

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2006 15:12
No.

MadrMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2006 17:38
You should go trough the internet and kill him now, as you promised.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2006 17:02 Edited at: 18th May 2006 20:27
I would follow through on my promise to go through the internet and kill him, but I'm eating my roll. When I've finished eating my roll, it's killing time.

New Milk Paton in a few days, and then back to D&C for a couple of weeks before I begin working on the third Milk Paton.

[Edit] Have just finished Milk Paton today, which means its coding time!

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 22:18
I have FINALLY had my first day free in about 2 months to work on this again. I've got two weeks before we start on the third and fourth Milk Paton, which I plan to devote to this.

Today I worked more on the editor which is getting nice polish and more functionality.

Then I went to school for the afternoon and sat my Home Economics exam, afterwards finding out I'd missed out 20 marks(!) worth of questions on the back page.

I worked on the Go-Karting game a bit this afternoon and added a track, trees and the general graphics of the main game.

So when I'm not at work, or doing any film stuff, it'll be D&C again!

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 22:27
STICKY PLEASE!!!

Great work drew this is to good

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 22:33
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 11:09
Okay, I've posted the level editor in Program Announcements.

I'm now going to be working on the third Milk Paton until June 26th and then I'll be working on the go-karting game and any fixes to the level editor.

Cerafem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 03:04
Quote: "For one of my other mini-games, I'm going to make a 2D version of the main game, and for the other one, either a Worms style game with Studes or a dancing style game."

worms rocks!!

---

-Agent Toaster Productions
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 00:32 Edited at: 7th Jul 2006 02:41

I'm looking to maybe get a playable demo out tommorrow night. Who knows...

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet, go karts.

Great game, Drew. Very generous of you to give it for free to us. I really enjoyed it. Here are some suggestions/bugs for the upgrade if they are not already implemented or suggestions:

*Ask before you do that "safely reset" thing. Its annoying as heck if you die two times quickly and have to go back to where you started.

*If you do the quick save on a moving platform, you fall off when restored

*You can quicksave, jump down somewhere where it is impossible to come back up, and get some coins, and then kill yourself. The save will be restored, but the coins won't. They will still be taken. You should restore the coins too.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 11:11 Edited at: 7th Jul 2006 12:50
Quote: "*You can quicksave, jump down somewhere where it is impossible to come back up, and get some coins, and then kill yourself. The save will be restored, but the coins won't. They will still be taken. You should restore the coins too."

That would be kind of hard to implement, I think it would be frustrating if any coins were lost when you died, and I couldnt really write a way to pick and choose which coins reposition based on the above scenario. And it would be confusing, too.

The rest of the suggestions are very valid - I thought I'd fixed all of those.

Will hop to it. P.S: Figuring out race positions is a pain in the schnitzel.

EDIT: Just got phoned into work for the day again. Filming a wedding tommorrow and working again on Sunday. SCHNIT. Well, I've got the AI karters in, at least.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2006 23:53
Go-Karting game video

http://www.drewsgames.com/karting.wmv - 3.8mb video.

Taken from an action replay that you get at the end of every race. A few things missing, like a bit of rain etc... but the video shows the game off nicely, plus how well it graphically integrates with the main game.

Finally, the code I've used to generate the games replays may also mean I can redo the main games films In-Game, as opposed to being pre-rendered, which was an oft. requested improvement.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks cool! I think the go-carts slide too much though.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 10:56
Thanks chief, but I liked my racing slidy. Ridge Racer Type 4 is my kind of game.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 18:19
Hi Drew!

Just got home from a 2 weeks vacation in Croatia, so I haven't been able to follow this thread.

Just saw the karting video... Haha, it looks awsome! Good job! Can't wait to see more progress

Cheers.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 23:58
Playable demo!

http://www.experteva.co.uk/karting.zip
8mb, WINZIP.

Try out the first track from the game! Missing alot of sound, music, and powerups / weapons. Apart from that, it's faily solid!

CHECK OUT THE ACTION REPLAY AT THE END!

Comments on the engine appreciated!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 01:03
Very nice, however the karts need some texture on the wheels to make them look like more than cylnders. Hubcaps, prehaps?

And I have to admit, it's fairly hard. I love the physics, but the wheels need a little more traction. I'd also like some more diversity in the go-carts, like one drove by Dumbo, one by Cool, one by a Stud, one by Lecture, one by a plain schlump, and then maybe one by Gish? I don't know if you intend to do that, but having multiple racers each with advantages and disadvantages always pleases every one. You could have things like acceleration, top speed, and drift be dependanton the character, giving the play the chance to pick the driving style they like best.

Very good though. The track was very d&cish, and the water was quite fun to fall into . Will there be walls in places or bridges, so that the karts can sometimes hit the edge of the track and not drown?

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 21:22
Ha ha okay quite alot of things to think about there.

I can definately say that I wont be adding Studes, Dumbow or Cool as karters because I dont have time. It is a MINI game after all, and there's going to be a few of these so they're pretty limited!

Well, it'll be another month before I work on this again. Back to Milk Paton...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 23:08
That's fine. Keep it in mind though if you ever deside to make a stand-alone kart racer.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 00:23
Okay, will do!

I'm going to add a nice big, comprehensive tutorial to the game as well, which I feel was one of the biggest areas lacking.

And finally, I am making all of the games films in game, which should be easy given I've made all the code for the action replay seen above.

Joe Cooning
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 01:05
Wow, the scource code was in there! I need to check it out some time. Not bad, except for those things that you are already aware of (effects, sound, etc).

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 01:12 Edited at: 13th Jul 2006 01:13
The source? Oops. Oh well, here is the first part of it should you be interested:

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 01:14
Heres the second part:

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 01:15 Edited at: 13th Jul 2006 01:19
And the rest:

You can maybe have a browse through that and see how it all goes together. You should see the main D&C code - it's a mission. P.S: my coding sucks. But hey, I seem to get things done so it doesn't really matter...

Joe Cooning
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 02:35
(*GASP*)You're a spagetti coder! (run's away screaming)

But seriously, for your sake and the sake of whomever may be looking at your code, you need to work on your tabs and spacing (I found it to be rather random at times).

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 02:54
Amazing work!

Quote: "Very generous of you to give it for free to us"

YOU WILL?!?!?! <-that's not a laugh, but a big smile.

OH and can you tell me how you made that sunset effect on your go-kart racing thing? I love it! (hope it uses nothing that I need to download )

My Functions: Mine
Post yours: Post
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 13:32 Edited at: 13th Jul 2006 15:57
Quote: "But seriously, for your sake and the sake of whomever may be looking at your code, you need to work on your tabs and spacing (I found it to be rather random at times)."

Basically, I tried using functions and stuff - But then I realised you need to declare variables as globals for some lame reason and then I couldn't be bothered.

Quote: "YOU WILL?!?!?! <-that's not a laugh, but a big smile."

Yeah I've already posted the link to the FULL main game.

http://www.drewsgames.com/fullversiondac.zip - 38mb

The sun effect is a large plain, locked to camera - it fades in when you are within an angle where you can see the sun, otherwise fades out.

Holy schnit time for work. (Not coding work, real work)

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 04:25 Edited at: 14th Jul 2006 04:27
Yay no shaders for that nice effect Thanks.

--When you have the time, continue this awesome game!

====A small question (you don't need to answer, I'm just interested in your work, I'm still learning) Did you make the worlds, racetracks and levels in Catography Shop, or something else?

My Functions: Mine
Post yours: Post
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 10:20 Edited at: 14th Jul 2006 11:57
No I made my own editors for everything. The levels are made out of plain old fashioned Matrices.

Main game, 1v3

URL: http://www.drewsgames.com/fullversiondac.zip
Size: 38mb

Go Karting game

Latest version: http://www.experteva.co.uk/karting.zip
Size: 8mb

Level Editor

Latest version: http://www.drewsgames.com/leveleditv1.zip
Size: 24mb
Functionality: V1. Build your own levels for Dumbow & Cool, and test them out in this all-in-one editor / runtime package. No other downloads needed.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 02:40
Okay I have tried the Karting Game now. I must say, it's really enjoyable!!! Although on the old system(As you know I've got a new pc) I had troubles with the textures on the go-karts being really messed up in color... Was really ugly... And sure didn't looked like karts! But I then tried it on my new system, and it all showed up nicely I really like the sliding! And I've managed to learn how to control the slides to get good turns^^ Awsome little demo.

Cheers.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 12:18
Ha ha that's good: someone who likes slidy handling!
Ridge Racer Type 4 all the way!

Will keep working on all of this, I promise! Just little bits at a time...

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 22:26 Edited at: 17th Jul 2006 22:38
Working on Level Editor tonight for two hours.

Issues fixed as I fix them

Platform buttons now scroll through different platforms [MEGATON]
Collision zones for buttons fixed to proper sizes [MINE]
Mouse over images for camera rotate buttons [MINE]
Mouse over images for camera zoom buttons [MINE]
Testing now saves level, ie: Changes don't get lost! [MINE]

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 22:43 Edited at: 17th Jul 2006 22:44
That's the session done for tonight. Incidentally, I began creating the second track for the Go Karting game. Lots of little bits of work every now and again he he...

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 22:44 Edited at: 17th Jul 2006 23:20
Ok, played the Karting game for a few minutes and this is what I found:

- The sliding is annoying at low speed. You slide so much, that you're unable to control the kart to reach an appropriate speed; I was sliding around do practically 0 mph.

I think it would make more sense to vary the likelihood (or 'strength') of sliding as the player gets faster; otherwise the race will be futile, and like I found, highly fustrating (sliding from the instant the race starts)

- A little graphical-esque glitch occurred, where I started moving far in advance of the AI player in front of me; I ended up partiallu inside his vehicle for a few seconds

- The AI player don't seem to have the same sliding 'handicap' as yu do, making the race seem unfair. (Ignore this one. Explained in edit at bottom of post)

- When I ran out of time, I pressed "Race again" (or whatever the race button is) and the game crashed with "Sprite does not exist on line 618"

- The race tries to restart (reaping the same error as above) if I crash into a pink guy

- Whether this was intentional, but you left the code inside the package

- There is no reverse (as of yet I assume)

- If you go other the grass near a checkpoint, you don't get the checkpoint - you have to go back and go over it properly. I think the checkpoint should give some kind of leeway (if your wihin a certain radius of the checkpoint, as opposed to driving over it precisely)

More issues as I find them...
No meaning to be harsh with all this stuff. I'm just an extreme perfectionist.

EDIT: Ignore the 3rd issue. This happened because the game ran slow due to an app in the background

More:

- Spelling mistake. The game says "You bet the clock but [...]" if you lose to other racers

- The wheels on AI karts don't spin, whereas yours do

- Well, seeing as though the code was there, I decided to recompile and fix the sprite issue crash I kept having (so I could play again and again in a constant loop)

Although it may be obvious, I simply inserted a check for the existance of the sprite before deleting it. Hopefully you don't mind this simple alteration I made (simply so I could continue playing again and again seamlessly)

Quote: "Why would anyone spend that kind of money on rubber jewellery? - Phaelax"
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 22:53 Edited at: 17th Jul 2006 22:55
I'm sorry but I like slidy handling. The handling stays. You shouldn't really be going at 0mph

Quote: "- The AI player don't seem to have the same sliding 'handicap' as yu do, making the race seem unfair."

The rest of the points are valid, but the AI actually have exactly the same handling as the player. For they are infact, ghosts of me playing. But playing crap mind you so the player can win.

Keep them coming! Will tend to the rest of the problems.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 23:28 Edited at: 10th Aug 2006 23:28
Quote: "- Well, seeing as though the code was there, I decided to recompile and fix the sprite issue crash I kept having (so I could play again and again in a constant loop)
"

No thats quite alright. What line number was that so I can fix it, because it doesn't occur for me and I am curious?

P.S: I am STILL working on this. I don't give up on things I start.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 18:53:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 18:53:51