Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Pirate modelling contest - WIP thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 20:37 Edited at: 19th Mar 2006 13:45
ENDS 25th

Wigget as the latest winner, unsuprisingly picked the new topic to somehow fit around the pirate theme, so my fav smilie will have to make his appearance for this.

The entry thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=74287&b=3

I'll quote Wigget for the guidlines;
Quote: "Theme: Pirate Humanoid low poly character, preferably with my likeness. it will be used in the anjl game as my character. for an example of the style we are going for see this image..."

Quote: "Don't worry about being so complex, just give it a try, texture it how you want! but lets keep the poly count below say.... 500. that should be plenty as it is basic shapes. No animation required, but the model will need to be animated at some stage so keep that in mind."

And not to forget the standard rules.
Quote: "Rules:
Your entries only
One entry per person
When voting only vote for one person
Do not vote entrants for a non present third party (so, you can't say I vote for Jim and Bob votes for Jim, if Bob wants to vote, tough unless he's a local forum member)
When voting, you can't vote for yourself
No entries in the wip thread
No Wips in the entry thread
Little or no chat in the entry thread
Be supportive, no horrible comments
All behave
WHEN YOU HAVE FINISHED, ONLY POST IT IN THE ENTRY THREAD, I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MISSING ENTRIES, I WILL NOT GO BACK FOR OTHER ENTRIES

And of course, have fun"

So dudes, good luck

Chilled Programmer 420
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 21:25
gar mi matey will thar be a tresure chest of golden booty for thar winnar?

[url=www.freewebs.com/tyhrfg][img]bruce.bmp[/img][/url]
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 22:16
Quote: "gar mi matey will thar be a tresure chest of golden booty for thar winnar?"

Was just waiting for a piratey type comment...

I'm afriad I don't have things to give away, but the winner does get to choose the next topic, the whole idea of the compos is a motif for people to work and improve their 3D modelling skills, which is why I guess people enter

Dark Serpent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 23:43
wait the way widget says we are making the model for him....MAKE UR OWN! lol. i might have misunderstood but r u sure the poly limit is 500? that doesnt allow for much detail that i love so much.

Join my team, make games for the masses! Go Team Bolt Rocket!!! http://www.freewebs.com/teamboltrocket/
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 23:50
500 could be too low, however looking at the concept art I can see how it would look great but in the poly limit, I would rely on textures as well as modelling.

@Wigget, if you consend, may I move it up to a maximum of 700, so the aim would be 500, but as with eassy writing, people tend to go over no matter how skilled they are

Manic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 00:36
500? are you kidding?

I don't have a sig, live with it.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 00:36
Hmm..now THIS one looks good. I have a few pirate ideas in mind....

Greenlig

Aust. Convention...get there!! http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=38799&b=2&p=1
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 00:40
Wigget are you still looking for that "final fantasy" look like you and Lukas wanted for that game? (Looks like that model will come in handy afterall... )

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 01:39
yes I was going for the ff7 look. which is why 500 shouldn't be too bad but go ahead and bump it up to 700. And as for hosting the competition for my benefit, i said in the previous topic that that was what I was doing. if you have anything against it don't enter . You don't have to follow the guideline of making it look like me, just make a humanoid pirate model.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 01:55
OH! This is for the same character as the anjl that I was working on before! Alrighty I know what I need to do now.

BenDstraw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 02:35
not saying anything bad about your idea to make the model for you but in these contests the community votes. what if the community doesnt vote for what you think is the best model for your game.

God modelled man in his own reference image.
Dark Serpent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 03:14
Quote: "if you have anything against it don't enter "

Well, we kinda have to if we wanna choose the next topic.

Join my team, make games for the masses! Go Team Bolt Rocket!!! http://www.freewebs.com/teamboltrocket/
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 04:11
all the models are uploaded anyway. And dark serpent what if I was making a computer case related game, who cares. The competition is up there for people to have fun and model, what they are modelling is up to the winner of the previous contest. If everyone is so unhappy with modelling a humanoid then fine, model a pirate ship, 1000 poly limit. Can be cartoony or realistic. I may use it for some of my tests while I learn to code, is that bad for you guys too?

BenDstraw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 04:46
so anything pirate related is suffice? cause i might do a pirate ship if thats ok.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 04:49
ok seppukku change it to theme : Pirates , can be anything pirate related under 1000 polys

Dark Serpent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 04:56 Edited at: 16th Mar 2006 05:00
NO no! thats not what i had a beef with!!! Im cool with makingf a huminoid. I thought u were gonna claim the winner's model to use in ur game. I thought the pirate was cool! ya i just misunderstood u man. I think it would be a better compo if it was just pirates not a bunch of treasure chests and ships. LOlL u went and changed the whole compo for me and it was just a misunderstanding. and even if u did need the model id be happy to give it to ya.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 05:15 Edited at: 16th Mar 2006 05:18
Aww cmon, an hours work any yer' changin it to pirate theme? I could've made a cannon-ball!

Anyhoo, Im done working on mine for tonight. Here's a screenie, I haven't reduced the polies yet and this is just the basic skeleton, Ill make him more "piraty" tomorrow, just wondering how over the top I should go... (stick leg, dead bird, skull cross hat, slightly overweight, eye patch, hook, etc... Ohwell, Ill decide that tomorow. Without furhter adue, here she... er... he is:

Oh, and that isnt textured the verts have just been coloured, but it will be textured in the end.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 05:27 Edited at: 16th Mar 2006 05:31
I think 500 polygons is more than enough for the general shape of the model. With some texture work, it should be quite a nice model. If anything, more detail will be put into the face, at least for my model.

Currently 80 polygons:
Using Silo Learning Edition(Will probably buy the full version , then I can complete model, and I just love Silo anyway)

edit:I'll edit this post with the finished model tomorrow

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 06:21
lol sorry dark, i thought you weren't happy with me taking the model, but thye are sposed to be free anyway but yes, either a pirate ship or a pirate, ship under 1000 polys. 700 for the humanoid yarr! thar be a fine looking pirate ruccus, good job! and mike not a bad start, that is johnny ree's sketch by the way guys, so kudos to him for providing it.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 14:24 Edited at: 16th Mar 2006 14:28
Makin' progress;

Its above the limit but I still haven't worked on reducing it yet, I dont think Im going to be able to keep all of his accessories in there if I wana make the limit while keeping him fairly good looking, I might lose the bird and possible either the hook or peg leg, but we'll see. Still debating on whether I should model the eye patch or texture it.

Lookin good so far MikeS, I never could figure out how to model using the two pictures, Im pretty sure 3DS Max can do it but Im using Wings.

Just wondering, is the model going to be offered to everyone or just you Wigget?

<EDIT>

Oh and if the model looks a bit "rubbery" or smooth, its just the way wings renders it. Ill export it through 3DS Max to get rid of this problem for the final product.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 18:16
Nice stuff ruccus Looks like a cross between Runescape and FF7, I tried applying to work for the runescape dudes as a modeller however I had to be 18, however you would have made the part easily by the look of things

@Mike nice basic shape, would be interesting to see what you make of it

Right, Hows this for a settlement

A low poly Pirate model that is within 700 polies, aim for 500 and 1000 is the farthest we'll allow, pirate ships I would say is a bit far, for the reason that the model type deviates from the original idea, it would be hard to compare humanoids and a ship, so lets stick with humanoids...

Any comments/objections?

I think I'll enter this one, I only have two bits of alevel work to do until monday which is good. Plus I need to practice my low poly skills

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 18:32
Great glad to hear you guys are being a bit leniant on the poly limit, I didnt think I was going to fit 700 in there. I want to keep all of his cool accessories on lol, hes got so many now; hair, mustache, eye path, so much decisions...

Thanks for the comments, I noticed it kind of looked like the runescape characters Probably a bit too high poly in unneeded areas though, gotta clean that up.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 19:21
I have started on my pirate, using Barret from FF7 as the character to base him around
Current poly count: 554

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 19:28 Edited at: 16th Mar 2006 19:32
Damn, I forgot how good a modeller you are. Looks like this competition is starting to pick up! Looking good so far. Face looks to a bit high in polycount, if you check the anjl thread he goes into more depth about the detail (or lack there of) that him and Luckas W are looking for. Then again winning this competition is about pleasing the community not Wigget Either way nice job so far.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 20:17
thanks dude, to be honest, modelling like that is pretty easy, I've only just worked out to make a low poly head like that, all my low poly heads before looked like the one in my sig.

I could stick to the anjl lack of detail, but the head doesn't seem to harm my model so far, however I don't think I should win, I've already won once for the last character modelling contest However I was thinking my model would be a hard competition against your, as it has nice little convenient bits of detial (And shows more hard work on the model)

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Ruccus and Seppuku those are some really nice models you've got going there.

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Fryedrycestyle]

[/url]
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 21:47
Does your sig say Fried Rice Style? Or is that a word in another language (German?)

Oh thanks for the comment as well.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 22:53
Quote: "Does your sig say Fried Rice Style?"

He's trying to be cool with mispelling fried rice and making a pun...All have shame on AB

Quote: "Ruccus and Seppuku those are some really nice models you've got going there."

Cheers dude, you been 3D modelling at all recently dude, I haven't seen a wip come outta ye

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I feel so... ashamed.

Well I told my dad that I felt as if I was not progressing in the modelling field and that he'd be best off selling 3DS Max 7 as it was a large waste of money since nothing productive really game out of it so we sold it...

That was about a month ago. May start up again with Wings are something but who knows.

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Fryedrycestyle]

[/url]
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 06:15
Thanks guys, I'll probably finish up the geometry sometime this weekend.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 09:52
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 12:10
the models are available to everyone.

Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 07:55
My WIP...pirate... lol

My texturing skills leave something to be desired.
432 quads.

I think we have to do a ninja contest next now lol.

''From now on we will travel in TUBES!'' ~Tenacious D
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
~ Douglas Adams
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 08:21
hehe the eye patch strap need sto go above the eyes

nasty Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
I see one let`s say it big mistake , when you all do your models...
It`s wrong to texture the model before you have finished it,except that the models are good...

3d maya modeller
newb
Years of Service
User Offline
430 and 709 polys.

Joe Cooning
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 05:50
Here's my wip. It's about 714 polygons (slightly over). Hope you don't mind.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nasty Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is my post , it`s only the basic shape of the pirate , the clothes and accesories are not yet done,and after that i`ll begin texturing...

3d maya modeller
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 12:55
nice work joe

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 13:48
nice work people, I realised I forgot to post the end date, I'm sure regular entrants know it only lasts generally 10 days, and the same for this one, meaning the end date is 25th March

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 19:06
Meh, I might enter this...

BenDstraw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 21:12 Edited at: 19th Mar 2006 21:48
im going to actually participate for once only ill finish this time

anyways so far i have a basic shape for the body now ill work on a head some textures and maybe some accesories depending on the poly count!

so far 438 polys

EDIT: image updated!

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 02:46
damn you guys did a better job than I did on 3difying that that jRee shape. Well done guys it's looking awesome. Might just use all of the models in a game representing their modeller of course.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 03:13 Edited at: 20th Mar 2006 03:33
Well, here's my wip so far...
This is my second humandoid model... ever (the first one being my Block Man model).

If you can't tell from the writing in the pic, my current model has 157 faces.

NewDarken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 07:11 Edited at: 21st Mar 2006 03:13
Ok, I couldnt resist...

Thanks for creating such a fun compey!

ooops, sorry its 594 polys, I couldnt check my post last night internet connection went bad.

Thanks.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 14:40
Woah, wicked models.

@Bizar Guy: Its looking good so far but in my opinion I think you should scale down the head a bit, I've seen a lot of models look bad (not that yours does) because the head comes out way too big, it also makes the model look like a child but its a WIP so I dont know your plans. Anyways thats what Id do just an idea.

BenDstraw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 15:52 Edited at: 20th Mar 2006 16:07
thanks but i have no idea where to even start for a texture but ill give it an honest try but its not gonna be pretty.

comment my art at: http://www.bendstraw.deviantart.com
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 17:55
Nice stuff coming out, @Bizar guy, I think you can spare polygons, so you casn cut a few so you can my parts look more round and the face will survive with more detail

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 20:57 Edited at: 20th Mar 2006 22:41
Quote: "@Bizar Guy: Its looking good so far but in my opinion I think you should scale down the head a bit, I've seen a lot of models look bad (not that yours does) because the head comes out way too big, it also makes the model look like a child but its a WIP so I dont know your plans. Anyways thats what Id do just an idea."

Hmm... I like the large head, but I'll definitely experiment with shrinking.

Quote: "@Bizar guy, I think you can spare polygons, so you casn cut a few so you can my parts look more round and the face will survive with more detail"

WHAT?!?! I've only got 543 of the 700 polygons left before I'm over the limit!!
Yes, it is blocky at the moment, but that angle is a bad view I see now, and that pic shows none of the textures. I assure you that the textures hide a lot of the lacking polys. But I definitely will be adding more detail to him (yes, I'll even finish the arms ). At this stage I'm really making the model as low poly as I can and retaining the shape. I by no means plan to leave him so blocky.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 21:26 Edited at: 20th Mar 2006 21:26
not an entry but just wanted to add to the piratey feel

here's a pirate i made for PakPerson a long time ago...

(i think the plumpness kind of reminds me of wiggett )

"We make the worst games in the universe..."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:57:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:57:14