Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / FreshGUI v1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
@Olby - Yeah, Hamish has done a great job modifying FreshGUI. It has improved tremendously with his additions. Definetly going to make this all an official release!

@Hamish - Great job! I was just testing out the new code (been super busy with work and soccer), and the whole project seems more effecient and professional. Most of the ideas you've listed are ones I've been toying with for a while now. Check boxes will be in the next release, along with the enhanced template control (originally a feature for 2.0, but I didn't have the time), and a few other of your ideas. The only reason I haven't included a label gadget is that the D3D DLL already handles that pretty well with the textbox function, although I suppose allowing users to modify that using the framework of FreshGUI might open up some potentials that normally wouldn't be there. If I have time over the weekend, I'll take a serious look at your code and start working on 2.1. I understand what you mean about coding your own menu-system...this was originally just a GUI I was developing for a project of mine, and it took me a long time to get the hang of making all of the pieces work together.

Anyhow, if anyone is looking for the latest release, please download using the attachement on Hamish's post. This version is much better than any current "official" release. Soon I'll release a new official version that will include Hamish's work, and a few extra features and gadgets. Right now, it's off to bed so I can get some sleep before work!

Eh?
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 02:27
outSync - Would it be good to rename all the global variables to use a pre-fix like the funtions? This way the system is unlikely to interfere with a user's own code by having the same variable names. This would certainly help in my use of the system.

Join the BlackOut Forum Today
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
@Hamish - I've just finished giving every global variable an "fui" prefix (fui_gadget_clicked, for example). Although I doubt its needed, should I look at giving the constants a prefix as well? I doubt there will be many conflicts, but maybe for consistancies sake, I'll give all the constants a prefix as well.

I'm also working on template flexibility, so FreshGUI adapts automatically to different sized and shaped fonts with no problems. Most of its finished, although I'm curious as to your algorithm in the ListBox creation function for determining the height of list boxes based on the amount of items to view? ViewItems*20 + 35 is a little hard to discern when your trying to work off of text height all of the sudden. I'm still putzing at it, so I'll figure it out sooner or later, but any help would be appreciated

I was also thinking about making a few more fonts, like one for each gadget, to allow for flexibility. For example, list boxes could have comic sans, while list box items could have lucida console. It wouldn't be too difficult to implement (particulaly with the INI files), but not sure if anyone would be interested in seeing this feature in FreshGUI? Let me know.

Eh?
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2006 09:26
I would be intrested.

Need php coding? Need your design to be coded? Will code for graphics:-(
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah make it as advanced as you can! If you know teh solution and it isnt hard to implent it then why wont you do it? Really this project is comming out nicely...

"Error at line 0 - Your game sucks. Try again loser..." (Cash Curtis II)
AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I've finalized the template flexibility, so no matter what size or style font you have, FreshGUI should adapt accordingly. I haven't made any crazy tests, but I've tried a couple of different fonts and everything comes out fine. I've also added the ability (through the template INI files) to specify invidual fonts for each gadget, so ListItems can have different fonts than ListBoxes, and Inputs can be different from Buttons, etc. Adds a little more style and variation to each template.

Here's a screenie - it doesn't highlight all of the big changes, but if you look, the ListItems have a different font than the ListBox.

Now, to add a few more gadgets, package everything, and release the official v2.1.

Eh?
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Waiting for another cool update!

AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2006 22:39 Edited at: 26th Jun 2006 22:41
Quote: "ViewItems*20 + 35"

You've probably figured it out by now, but 20 pixels was the height of your list items plus the space above each item (15 + 5), and 35 is the extra amount of height for each list box, 15 pixels for the top and bottom bar (before the bottom bar wasn't included in the total area for the list boxes, but now it is) and 5 pixels for the extra space after the last item (15 + 15 + 5).

Join the BlackOut Forum Today
Xo TwOfAcE oX
Years of Service
User Offline
i bought blue gui, but i will get this for my game. thanks! great job!
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 12:35
im sorry, ive tried everything to get this to work, and i either get a silent crash of the exe, or it wont compile.

i think its because im useing 6.2, because i tried to update the dll, and everything.

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
Wheel Gator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 14:24
sucks for you BS2.

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
@BULLSHOCK 2 - At the moment, I'm working with DBPRO 6.1, and haven't tested anything with 6.2, so I have no idea if 6.2 supports FreshGUI. I probably won't be updating FreshGUI to 6.2 until I actually download the update, and that probably won't be until its a final release (or someone feels like doing it before that time).

@Wheel Gator - Please keep any and all comments on this thread to providing support, feedback, or general comments on FreshGUI. Ridiculous comments like yours take up space, and don't help anyone.

v2.1 Progress Update

I expect to get a lot of work done today, finishing off Checkboxes, and probably getting a good start on Group Boxes, the Grouping System, and Progress Bars. This won't be a huge update, but will provide a nice bit of functionality. Once this is out, there won't be another official release for a while, as I have other projects that need work on besides FreshGUI, but 2.1 should allow you to create some nice GUIs for your games, thanks to the new gadgets, and the additions Hamish made

Eh?
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 23:46
but yours works with 6.1?

i downgraded and i stll got a silent crash.

could you possibly just post the exe to the example code, and see if it will run? or if its my DBPRO?

X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 23:48
i know its potentially rather complicated, but do you think you could write a tree-view object? (like the view in windows explorer). I love those! can often be useful i find.

www.AoFP.co.uk
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 00:46 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2006 00:54
Okay, sorry for the lack of updates, but I've been working (both at my job, and on FreshGUI) quite a bit lately, and really haven't had much time to browse the forums and post an update. Anyhow, if all goes smoothly, I should be able to post update 2.1 sometime tonight or tomorrow, if the last two gadgets go together nicely and I can finalize the documentation and the changes I've made to the templates. I'll also be updating the main post to better reflect the changes made to FreshGUI (those screenshots are old).

@BULLSHOCK 2 - I'm having trouble uploading a working EXE, as it keeps timing out. I also sort of lied to you; I think I'm still working on U6.0. After I release this version, I'll update to U6.2b and see if I can solve your problem.

Myopia - My blog
FreshGUI v2.0 - The open-source game ui
Cloggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 02:49
Bullshock 2,

You need the version of D3DFunc.dll that is compiled with 6.2.

See my web page http://www.cloggj.f2s.com/DBPro for the latest compiled version.

Hopefully that will sort your problem.

Cheers,

Cloggy
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 01:57 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2006 01:58
@Cloggy - Thanks for the suggestion. I'll throw that into my documentation's Q&A section. Hopefully BULLSHOCK 2 will be able to get it working now

As for my releasing the official v2.1 update, well, that's been tricky. I'm essentially ready, but I've come across a few problems that I'm desperately trying to remedy, specifically with Radiobuttons and Checkboxes. I've fixed Radiobuttons, but I'm still working on an algorithm for solving the Checkbox problem, but it's been difficult so far. Hopefully in a few more hours, I'll have it wrapped up. Other than that, everything should be set aside from updating the documentation (not that hard to do), and then I'll upload it for everyone's programming pleasure! I think everyone will really like this update.

Myopia - My blog
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Official Release: FreshGUI v2.1
I'm pleased to announce the official release, Release Candidate 1, of FreshGUI v2.1. This new version makes official the changes made by Hamish McHaggis to the FreshGUI code, as well as numerous other changes by myself. A complete changelog can be found in the first post of this topic, along with an updated download link.

Please report bugs either here, or to my email (found in the FreshGUI documentation). I'll do my best to squash any found within the smallest timeframe possible, but I make no guarentees; I have a busy schedule each day and can't always make time to program.

Enjoy programming with FreshGUI v2.1!

Myopia - My blog

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 22:36 Edited at: 24th Jul 2006 22:37
Damn your GUI being more popular than mine!

Expect a new thread around here in the next few days! This means war!

(It looks good )

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 03:13
@outSync,

This is a fantastic Game UI code. I love the fact that you added radio buttons and check boxes. (I will now stop trying to add them to v1 and completely move to v2.1.

Since you have now offically released v2.1 this might call for a new thread .

@Hamish McHaggis

Great job on the "management" addition to FreshGUI, it really does simplify added controls to the UI.

Balid

sneaky smith12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 05:54 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 17:52
just downloaded looking forward to using
i'll keep you updated
my menus stink right now lol

i feel really stupid now... ty for putting it on the zip.

If at first you dont succeed, LOWER YOUR STANDARDS.
General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
I get an error saying RGBA does not exist in d3dfunc.dll and i have the latest version

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1GB ram, Geforce 6600 GTX, 80GB HDD
Vist www.scratchyrice-dev.co.uk
The Chaos Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
I also got an error saying RGBA does not exist in d3dfunc.dll plus like General Reed
The Chaos Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
I also got an error saying RGBA does not exist in d3dfunc.dll

nice new gui Genral Reed by the way:

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 21:09
so it stops working for everyone else but now it works for me...

LOL

sorry its been so long since i posted, but i went on vacation. The new DLL fixed it for me, and i must say, EXELENT GUI!

Spopovich
Years of Service
User Offline
I just downloaded it and wanted to say it looks very nice, I can see that alot of work went into it and I cant wait to start using it in some of my programs. Thanks!

Do not ask what the forums can do ask what you can do for the forums.
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Mostly, if someone comes across a RGBA error, they should consult the documentation, as it's probably a problem with their DLL being old, having different versions of the DLL in your FreshGUI folder, or something else. If those steps don't fix it, you need to consult Cloggy, as I cannot troubleshoot D3D DLL problems.

@BULLSHOCK 2 - Glad it started working for you. Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them! I've put many, many hours into FreshGUI, and so has Hamish with the modifications, so it's nice to hear good comments

@Spopovich - Thanks I hope that it works well for you in your games!

Myopia - My blog
Death Swarm
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesn't work for me. I just get a windows error report message on the example code and on any of my code

I know what your thinking
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
please get the latest DX9, then copy the supplied with the GUI d3d functions dll and the ini rerading dll to your compiler folder. and then if it still does not work post here again.

AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c, DBP 6.2
Death Swarm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2006 19:03 Edited at: 15th Oct 2006 19:57
k thanks

EDIT: Thanks it works now, i'm gonig to turn my blueGUI based rpg into a freshGUI based one

I know what your thinking
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2006 19:43
Did you thin of making multiple colors? That would be great.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 00:30 Edited at: 16th Oct 2006 00:39
Hi, I can't seem to get D3dFunc.dll working with DBP, and I really can't figure out why. Obviously the FreshGUI example doesn't compile without the D3d functions being recognized. It's version 3.6, installed properly, and I even added the DLL to the no-exclusions list in setup.ini, but it still doesn't seem to be recognized by DBP. Never had this problem with a user plugin DLL before. Any ideas?

Am using 6.2b, btw.

<Hero> lol ones spelling ability has absolutely nothing to do with there level of inteligence or maturity!
<Hero> bah, ur guys r just children, i shouldnt bother trying to educate you
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Ian T - Did you installed the dll file which camed with freshGui or downloaded it from original d3d_func.dll site?

@ Xenocythe - Just add your own gui.ini file when you init freshGui. They are stored in gui examples folder open it with notepad and edit values. you can change colors, sizes, fonts etc. for EACH gadget. So buttons colors could differ from text boxes etc. very flexible indeed.

AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c, DBP 6.2
http://www.myspace.com/producerolby
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 23:58
Oh heh, thats actually pretty neat. Maybe you can make an 'options' thing where you have a color chooser and it saves it to the ini.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 00:44
Olby, I tried both to the same result.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 01:14
Okay, that'd really odd - it's compiling fine now, I didn't change the DLL at all or upgrade DBP, so I'm not sure what caused the change. If I figure it out I'll mention it here.

Fantastic code anyway. Reminds me a little of steam.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Its default template is based on steam by the way.

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
@Ian T - Well, I guess I achieved my goal then FreshGUI is, indeed, based upon Steam. Glad you've finally got it working, though. Not sure why most people have problems...it's always worked just fine for me working across multiple computers.

@Olby - Thanks for answering all the questions in my absence. Sorry I've been gone so long, but I've been exploring other programming languages. Don't worry, I'm still supporting FreshGUI - I'm just taking my other projects beyond DBPRO.

@Xenocythe - As Olby mentioned, FreshGUI does support multiple colors per gadget. Unfortunately, due to the constraints of the D3D DLL, I'm going to have to adjust the font-per-gadget code, as the DLL only supports a limited number of fonts. I will look into exploring with a "Template Generation" program, which would allow you to completely modify gadgets, see how they look, and then export a proper template.ini file for you. Don't expect anything soon, but maybe within a few weeks. Shouldn't be that hard to cook up!

@Death Swarm - Glad to see you'll be using FreshGUI When your project gets far enough along, would you mind sending some screenshots of it to my email (found in the documentation)? I'm planning on creating a page for it on my webspace, and would really like to show some in-game examples.

That goes to the rest of you, too! If you use FreshGUI in any project, whether game or application, please send me a screenshot of it. I would like to see how it's being used, and I will put at least one screenshot per project in my soon-to-come FreshGUI webspace.

As for the eventual v2.2...well, we'll see what happens. I've got a few ideas (ListBoxes come to mind), but not a whole lot of time. Right now, the old girl is pretty stable, aside from some unhelpful error reports (at least, I'm assuming so...no one has spazzed out about bugs). I really wish DBPro was a more object-oriented language, as it would be much easier to implement some of my ideas, but oh, well . I would also be interested in implementing a proper parent-child gadget system, with a little more complex rendering routine. This would allow for implementation of things like Window gadgets and stuff. We'll have to see what happens though.

Anyways, keep up the programming Glad to see some people are using FreshGUI!

Myopia - My blog
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
@ outSync - Nice to see you back! I got one feature that I think is quite essential to add to FreshGUI. It is =GadgetWidth() and =GadgetHeight() because while coding my engine I got here and there into problems because of these functions lack. But I dont say it is impossible to code with fresh only a bit harder tho.

Keep up the work, I eager to see the template editor too.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2006 21:41
I want to try this, but the example doesn't seem to be working for me. Everything compiles fine but when the program runs it gives that "Temp.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure all the DLLs are installed properly.

Ummm...
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
I fixed this by removing the D3D_MAKE_3DTEXT line. Something was not working there so I replaced this D3D_MAKE_3DTEXT with make object cube 1,10

and instead of 3d text it displays rotating cube. Please check if there is a newer versions of the d3d_func.dll where this error may be fixed (or not)!

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
FreshGUI v2.1b Update
Yes, the elusive 2.2 update is still further down the road. However, to help placate those looking for it, I'm working on a "sturdier" version of 2.1, which will make everything run a bit smoother. Probably the biggest addition will be Help Files for the editor, which will speed up the programming process quite a bit, along with a Keywords file. This should make life a lot easier for those struggling to remember the particular syntax of a command, and hate opening the Documentation word file.

Also, I'm going through the code with a fine-toothed comb, working to optimize here and there, as well as fix all the bad error reports (i.e., generate an error making a progress bar and getting a button error report). Along with this new update I'll be launching the official FreshGUI webspace.

Generally, I'm just trying to smooth out any wrinkles FreshGUI might cause when you work with it. Making sure error reports work correctly will speed up the debugging process for many, and having at-your-fingertips help files will speed things up a little bit, too. My only regret so far with this version is the lack of new gadgets, but you never know...I might sneak one in

Myopia - My blog
FreshGUI v2.1 - The open-source game ui
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
FUI_GetGadgetWidth() & FUI_GetGadgetHeight(), please! This would be awesome!

Thanks,

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
FreshGUI v2.1b Release
Well, after a spell of programming, FreshGUI v2.1b is ready for release. This is a relatively minor update, as I merely took the time to flesh out a few features that FreshGUI was lacking, namely help files. I also fixed a problem with the FUI_ExistError function, and managed to slip in Olby's request for FUI_GetGadgetWidth() and FUI_GetGadgetHeight(). Hope you're happy

I'm hosting the file on my own webspace now, but it should be 100% reliable. It's better than constantly uploading it here on the forums. You all can look for the new download link, plus the new changelog, in the very first post of this thread (as usual).

Enjoy!

Myopia - My blog
FreshGUI v2.1 - The open-source game ui
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 14:55
@ outSync:

Looks really good! I will give it a try in my future projects! If it gets used, you will get a screenie as you requested!

Hoozer

AMD 64X2 4800+ (939); 2GB; GF 6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.2):
http://rapidshare.com/files/3326313/PhysiX-Brick-Breakout---V--1-2.zip
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 00:49 Edited at: 19th Nov 2006 00:51
What can I say - nicee one! I will start working on a little enhancement which will add support for custom bitmap fonts which look cooler than standart fonts. I'm creating this for my FPS but if you would like I'm gonna contribute to FUI of course if bitmap fonts is what you or else wants to see in FUI.

HZiM0rT4L
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 14:17 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 15:22
this doesnt compile on 6.3 and CodeSurge because count is in there as a variable or something. But all you need to do is replace all the counts with something like county etc.

There is also a flaw in your getgadgetwidth because it doesn't return anything!

Edit: replace last line in the getgadgetwidth function with this:

DB PRO RULES!
Ukwazi
Years of Service
User Offline
Right on for making this!!!!...It's perfect for my project. Expect a game with it from me in the very near future
ThinkDigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 09:24 Edited at: 7th Apr 2007 09:31
I finally got this to work, it's very nice

EDIT - Actually, it only works when I put D3DFunc.dll (version 6) into the actual project folder, otherwise (when I put it in the "plugins-user" folder) I get told that "Text3D" cannot be found in "8:d3dfunc.dll"

"Variables won't, constants aren't."
IceBryce
Years of Service
User Offline
Im using 6.6 and i got the example working with http://www.cloggj.f2s.com/DBPro/ updated and the inlcude added to the top of the example.

-=Ice Out=-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 00:12:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 00:12:24