Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DBpro Vs. DBsdk

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone. I'm making this post because Im looking for peoples opinions on the two products against each other since Im looking to purchse one of the two. I've seen the performance gains by using C over DB, which is expected. However I've noticed (from the forums largely) that DBpro seems to get alot more love from the Dev team than DBsdk. In addition to this there seems to be a relatively significant number of bug issues with the current SDK. I am familiar with a few BASIC languages in addition to C++ so Im not to worried about the learning ease of each, but rather, if people would still heartily recommend DBsdk over pro even inspite of the current problems with the SDK. I am presently leaning towards the SDK over pro largely because of the power of a C++ over any BASIC language (OOP etc.) Id really appreciate any incite and opinions about what is recommended or what issues (and how troublesome they can be) I might run into using the SDK over pro. Thanks in advance everyone!
theDK
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi ...

It seems that you have a good picture of whats going on.
What I recommend is that you wait for the sdk update and then judge if you wana buy the sdk or not. After all, if the sdk doesn't get updated then whats the use of buying a product that doesn't have the support of its creators.

you're not alone btw ... alot of people like you and me are waiting to see what TGC's plans are for the sdk.

Just wait for the update ... if the sdk is still being ignored by TGC then go ahead and buy DBPro.
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
sound advice... i'd have to agree...

--Mike
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 19:49
in addition, the DGsdk may be getting a facelift of sorts, and it may or may not be directly thru TGC.

sorry if thats a bit cryptic but I don't know if I can elaborate on what I mean as I don't have "official permission" to do so. Suffice it to say "stay tuned"

FREE Automatic file updates for your distributed Games and Apps - see Program Announcements Forum - DBP Demo
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 22:50
Cattle Rustler, if that happened, would I have to buy it again, or can I continue with free updates?

common people are walking in line.
Lich120
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the input guys. I think Ill do as you mentioned and wait for an update on the current SDK, or if it doesn't seem to be coming go with DBpro. It would be rough to work with something that doesn't have any support afterall. And hey, maybe if we talk about it enough we can get them moving on it
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 00:10 Edited at: 21st Mar 2006 00:11
I believe, from reading the forums here and there, that CattleRustler has been involved with a .NET port/wrapper for DGSDK.

He may mean more than that (e.g. TGC may be handing him and APEXNow the whole dgsdk repackaging), I honestly don't know, but I'm sure he at least means the .NET bit...

Am I right, or am I right?

I have vague plans for World Domination
sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 01:28
I would like to have sdk, but ontil it can be used like it was ment to be, I am going wait.
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 02:28
I think that's pretty reasonable. I'm beginning to wish I had done the same thing.

common people are walking in line.
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 02:47
@CattleRustler

Glad to hear luv'n is on the way. Very excited

All you need is zeal
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 14:07

FREE Automatic file updates for your distributed Games and Apps - see Program Announcements Forum - DBP Demo
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 21:08
Quote: "It would be rough to work with something that doesn't have any support afterall."

Ok, I know that the SDK hasn't been updated for a long time but... have a look at the DBPro editor! TGC lost the code for it a couple of years ago, or so I've been told.

I'll also wait for an update of the SDK before consider buying.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 21:14
Its a very useful - the only reason I'm not using it at the moment is because it doesn't work with VS 2005 - so I'm busy waiting for an update

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-27 03:44:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-27 03:44:13