Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / DBP Collision DLL v2.05

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 23:34 Edited at: 8th May 2006 23:35
Actually, I get the exact same thing as OddMind. I decided to use this as I am starting to put collision into my game. Hopefully you can get it working.

I just tried to compile the demos, and get the same crash.

I am using v2.01, DBPro U6RC10 and the newest DirectX 9.0c

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 23:39 Edited at: 9th May 2006 00:23
Ok, can you replace the dll with the one attached and let me know if it changes anything.

Edit: I've added links to the previous versions in my first post if you are having trouble with 2.01

Attachments

Login to view attachments
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 23:46
I use WinXP SP2, U6 final, and 2.01 collision DLL and everything works fine.

If I download the debug version of dll from post Paul has just posted and remove old dll, I then get that microsfot crash.

Boo!
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 02:47 Edited at: 9th May 2006 02:52
ugh same prob :. Ill try the 5.9 again and see if my luck changes.

EDIT: I reverted to 5.9 and used the old link you posted to 2.0 and it works fine . I dont know what the problem could be, but it looks as though ill be developing in 5.9 until we can sort this out.

formerly KrazyJimmy

I'm the lizard king, I can do anything.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 03:35
I've attached 2 more, try them and see. Hopefully I'm getting close.

Attachments

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 12:09
Both those new ones crash for me. I also notice their filesize is around double that of the 2.01 release. Is that right?

Why is it that 2.01 works fine for me. Am I special?

PC Specs in case you are interested;

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
512MB RAM
MSI GeForce4 Ti4600 (128MB)
XP Home SP2

DBPro U6 final
SC_Collision.dll V2.01 (108KB)
DirectX 9.0c V4.09.0000.0904 (Feb 2006)

Boo!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 13:03
Quote: "Why is it that 2.01 works fine for me. Am I special?"

If you are then so am I, it works fine here too. Running DBP 6.0 final.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 15:08
@Oddmind & Xander

Can you try the attached compiled exe of the scaling demo project. It is compiled using V2.01 of dll and DBPro U6 final

Just be interesting to know if it is just your compilation is messing up something.

Boo!

Attachments

Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 23:10
yikes the compliled EXE is not working. That is VERY strange.

AMD Athlon 64 3500

1 gig corsair

ATI Sapphire x800GTO2 graphics card (256 MB)

XP Professional, though on my laptop with home editions SP2 it didnt work either, thats the first place i got the error. since then ive gotten a new PC.

I now have DBPro 5.9
Collision DLL v 2.0

Ill try out those new DLL's in a bit.

formerly KrazyJimmy

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 00:46
Fixed it, accidently changed a compiler option which then made it rely on the user having a particular runtime dll.

Version 2.02 should fix the crash. See my first post.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 12:37
V2.02 works fine for me.

Boo!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 15:31
Guess we were special 2.02 Works fine here too.

Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 05:48
works wonders sparky! Thanks again

formerly KrazyJimmy

Bush jumper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 22:32
sparky you are a genius, that new update sorted out the crash i was getting thank you very much
dawchiks
Years of Service
User Offline
yep for me its again not working.... do i need more plugins???? make object terrain aint working..... and a lot of other thing dont work for me.

viii die comunists !!!!!
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 22:20 Edited at: 22nd May 2006 22:22
Alright the compiled .exe that spooky uploaded crashed for me, but I have downloaded the v2.02 now. I'll try it out in a second...

[edit]

Yay! The new version worked, thanks a ton Sparky! Now I can use this for Firewall 2...should help me out a lot. I sense some major credit coming Sparky's way in the future...

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 21:15
Sparky, it is ok if I use snippets of your code in my game, isn't it?

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 00:06
Yes that's fine
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 21:07
Thanks.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
This is amazing! I wish I had found it sooner.

Formerly known as covenant
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having a problem using the collision in my own program. Whenever I try to use sc_spherecastgroup I get this error message:

Para _Charlie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 21:55
Hello everyone, second time posting. I am practicing my code on a FX water demo map created by Evolved and added the terrain collision. It was so easy it was hard. I made it way more complicated then what it truly was. Once I got the 4 lines of code in. It all suddenly hit me what needed to be done. Thanks alot Sparky. Your code is awesome and easier then others that I have been reading about.

DBP6+ user for about a month now. Reading tons of info and just trying to soak it all in.

P.S. Evolved, your FX maps are great practice for a new guy. Thanks!!!!
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 02:31
I think i'm going to use this to create my halo/grand theft auto mix! I love how the collision is good, i remember once i tried to use a collision engine on the blood gulch level and it ate me alive,and plus the fps was so low i cried(not really). Of course,if you go to a slope you can't climb,since it is repositioning you it bumps the camera around,and on halo levels there are lots of slopes not ment to be climbed,so this will happen quite a bit. So,is there a way i could handle this?

all ben needs is his band,his guitar,and his computer
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 18:41
@headcrab53 - I can't replicate the error, are you using windows98 by any chance?

@benny53 - Have a look at the method from the SlidingDemo.dba (if you haven't already) which has ways of defining the angle of the slope you can walk up and possibly giving the player a boost up valid slopes. If you get alot of bumping the only thing I can suggest is you either create a special collision object for the level that replaces invalid slopes with walls or try smoothing the position of the player object so it can't move as rapidly. For example instead of doing

try

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Nevermind. I did something sort of weird that made the error. It's fixed.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 22:32
Alright. Well, I'm still working on the bumpy camera movement. I have fixed the bumpyness,but the way I change it makes the collision horrible. I did changed this:

to this:

That makes it so that when I jump,I go through the walls sometimes. But if I don't do that,the camera shakes crazily when I go to an incline I can't climb. Which means walls too. So what should I do? I am using collision from the sliding demo.

all ben needs is his band,his guitar,and his computer
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 01:53
Is there a way you can return which limb within an object is hit?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 05:53 Edited at: 7th Jul 2006 15:23
Paul, Ive got a problem with the code you've given me.
If The player touch a wall the the second sphere ground will set to 0
and the player cant jump. vy# will also be lower.

Attachments

SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 04:06
Ive been told that using this command set I can find out the angle of the poly that was hit by a raycast(Needed for bullet collision) However, I can't seem to find anyway to do this. Could you give me a push in the right direction? Thanks.

Back by unpopular demand!
Battle Legacy has gone MMORPG! Nah, Im just kidding. But seriously, check the WIP

Space Fractal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2006 17:52
Very very Fine Plugin , but found a bug and a little request:

- The dll crash when using SC_setupObject on a instanced object. Should this not return a error instead of crash?

- The seen to missing a SC_ExistObject (like Object Exist). This would been very fine, because not all may need collision, but stop with a error, when I tried to use a SC_removeObject, without a object.

http://www.PlayITgame.org
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2006 19:29
Is it what you are looking for ?

Quote: "SC_collisionStatus

SYNTAX
SC_collisionStatus ( objNum )

-objNum: the object you want to know the status of.

returns the current collision setting for this object, 1 for on, 0 for off.
"
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 01:44
try somtin' like that:

Space Fractal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 15:29
SC_collisionStatus dosen´t tell it exist or not, only collision have been enabled or disabled.

If the command could return -1 for a non exist object, this would been very fine also.....

http://www.PlayITgame.org
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 16:32
thats senseless you can use the and command.

Juso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 11:53
Can Sparky's Collision DLL return which limb hit?
There is 'SC_getObjectHit' and even 'SC_getFaceHit' command but no 'SC_getLimbHit'.

Or can it be done otherwise?
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 12:04
Juso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 16:38
Yes, but DKshop seems to work only with DBO-objects not x-objects.
ThinkDigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 03:14
I just got it, can't say how much I like it. Awesome. I have one question (I haven't read through all 6 pages of this) - do you have to use spheres to detect sliding collisions between objects?

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 09:45 Edited at: 6th Aug 2006 10:21
Hi Guys,
I'm having a problem with Sparky's DLL. I think this might be a problem with the modelling software/exporter but i want to see if there is anything i can do about it on the programming side. I have an object that shows its object bounds correctly, but once it was animated in milkshape (moved around etc etc), its object bounds are completely off! I also have another object that was made in Milkshape and loads perfectly in DBP but seems to have no object bounds in the Collision Engine. Anyone know what might be the problem?

Thanks,

EDIT : It looks to me like milkshape does not export the value needed for sparky's to make the object bounds? What is milkshape not doing that wings is, and is there an easy fix?

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 22:48
Unfortunately Ive been having a problem lately as well. I mentioned this in another thread but this is probably a better place to ask. Basically I have fully working sliding collision code and everything, but I'm having a few problems with gravity. Basically the player slides down a slope no matter, but i'm not really looking for that, especially because I make use of ramps. Here's my code:

Ive tried many things and took a look at the advance sliding demo but I couldn't find exactly how it's gravity system works. Any help is appreciated, Cheers, and keep at the good work.

Battle Legacy has gone MMORPG! Nah, Im just kidding. But seriously, check the WIP

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 23:37
what i did is that i only called gravity when he he is not colliding with an object (he only falls when there is nothing underneath him). So basically try only subtracting by the gravity value if collision<0

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 00:18
That'll work but can start giving a vibrating effect, as the user collides, moves to a non-collision point, moves down due to gravity kicking in, making them collide again, repeating the process.

A better way is to get the angles of the normal and checking if the normal is too steap, if so apply gravity.

Projects: Online CTF Game | Newcommer's Guide to FPS's
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 00:41
@RUCCUS

That's exactly what happened when I tried Zedane's idea. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to how your method would work?

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 03:48
Yeah, i found that happening to me too! Ruccus along with explaining your method, could you please explain what a normal is? Its used extensivly in Sparkies examples but i just tried to get around it. Guess there is no work around this time.

Ianhfar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 11:05
Any chance of creating a version of this DLL that can be used natively with DSDK?
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 18:41 Edited at: 7th Aug 2006 18:44
A normal (or atleast I think this is what it is) is pretty much the same as a polygon or face of an object. Each polygon is made up of 3 verts, forming a triangle. Sparky's dll allows you to obtain the world xyz angle of every normal on the object, that's why sliding collision is so easy with this dll, when you detect an intersection with say your map model directly infront of your character model, you find the bounce angles (based on the angles of the normal and intersection check's angle, obtained from the bounce commands), and this angle is the angle the user needs to rotate to to slide off of the normal. Now, with v2 Sparky's put this into nifty sliding collision commands, so the work is reduced even more.

Basically, the x angle of an object in the 3D world is it's up/down angle. The same would go for a normal, getting the x angle of the normal intersected with would allow you to determine the steepness. If the normal's x angle is greater than say... 45 degrees, allow gravity to take place, other wise dont.

Another work-around (probably simpler) is to get the distance to the intersection (returned from intersectObject). Then, only reposition the user if this distance is greater than x amount of units. That way, if the intersection distance is in the decimals (as it would be when the vibrating effect occurs), stop using gravity. Otherwise, use gravity.

Pseudo Code for first example;

While Im at it (I know this isnt anything big), I threw together this function for one of Gil Gavanti's projects for sliding collision, pretty simple but might be useful to some;

Hope that helps a bit (not much time to throw together a working example of the normal stuff right now).

Projects: Online CTF Game | Newcommer's Guide to FPS's
Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 02:56
In Sparky's DLL is there anyway to specify how big the collision sphere is for my object? I have an object exported by milkshape which sparkies DLL can't even setup correctly, is there anyway i can just say put a sphere in its area that is x size. The only way i can think of is to make a sphere of the correct size, attach the sphere to the object and then run collision on that sphere...but thats a workaround not a true solution.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2006 17:16
The old Intersect Object command took into account the limb positions when animating the object. Sparky's V2 does not seem to, even when updating the object with SC_UpdateObject. Is there any way to?

Come see the WIP!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 00:12
Use make object from limb and then hide all of the created objects, but use them for collision. Position/rotate/scale them based on the limbs.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 01:55
Why won't my code work?

It says to "Include at least on memblock command in your code"

http://www.soharix.homestead.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:18:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:18:42