Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / May be nothing to worry about - forum ... 'issue'

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 09:47
I have a sneaky trick when applying for jobs if I have to use email, I set my computers date to a few years ahead of time to ensure that as long as my email is on their computer I will remain top of their inbox as a constant reminder.

Last night I set myself to October 2005 and this completely locked me out of the forums, it may be nothing, a cookie or internet explorer issue or because my account had 'expired' - but it could be something date sensitive on the forums that could cause a problem in the future.

Just thought i'd like you know Rich, so that you can pre-empt anything which may happen
Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 09:51
It's the cookie. The forum itself cannot check the date set on your computer, but if the cookie is out of range you'll not appear logged in/will be unable to login, etc.

Incidently your avatar doesn't appear

And to be honest - don't set your date forward like that for application emails, I used to deal with applications at my old company and if I saw someone apply with a date like that for an IT role I'd be worried they didn't realise their computer was screwed and then question their IT skills! So be careful

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 01:28
My avatar is offline along with all my old Everquest pictures because I needed every ounce of file space on my server. It's a bit out of date anyway and time I designed a new one, those dragons and god's that it showed me killing are all yesterdays news to an ardent EQ player

It's an interesting point you raise about the date on job applications, i've long run the astute assumption that most Human Resource managers are complete techno-amoeba's and they only chose that carear line because the 'green card' course at college was over-subscribed so they didn't get any qualifications at all.

I guess I never thought what would happen if a real techie picked up the email...

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 14:11:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 14:11:45