Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I need help installing Win98SE! :(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 00:23
I don't have anything on my computer right now, it's blank. But when I put the Windows 98 install CD in and let the computer boot with it, and follow the setup instructions, it tells me to insert my setup or boot CD-- which is in the drive. The CD is brand new, legit, and totally unblemished. I don't know what's going wrong :-s
--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 00:53
erm... none of the Microsoft OS's use boot cds - infact i've not seen a single thing yet that does use that stupid CD boot feature.

you'll have to make yourself a bootup disk and install that way
shouldn't be too hard unless you have XP ... you just goto the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

That aside, if i can remember the site there is a site that has bootdisk and bootcd's even under XP ... erm but can't remember right now lol

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 11:15
Bit late for that - he's got a 'blank' computer...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 11:41
well he must have A working computer because he accessed the internet - hehee
i'm sure even if its just for making a bootdisk the school or a mate would allow him to just do that in like 5mins

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 11:57 Edited at: 20th Mar 2003 11:58
How do you know he's not using a different computer to write the posts??!
Its a problem I've always found with 98 - the CD isn't bootable (and I dont have the boot disk anymore either - it was a real pain installing it for a dual boot system). Its one small advantage for XP over 98.

Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
@Raven and MrTAToad,

Windows 98 CD is bootable as I've booted from the CD when installing Windows98, but it does depend on the CD-ROM as not all CD-ROM's are supported with the microsoft drivers, pain in the butt I know, so you will have to use the drivers that came with your drive.

I assume the 'other' system your using has Windows, so as Raven suggested create a bootdisk, if you can't then ask a friend if none of your friends have a computer then I don't mind compressing my bootdisk for ya it's just over 1.2MB(decompressed) 700KB(compressed) so I hope it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get access to a PC that lets you use the floppy as some schools can be a real pain and 'lock' the floppy drive

anyway, it's your call
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 13:52
I have 3 legal copies of Windows 98SE on CD and they all boot from the CD-ROM - Are you sure your Bios settings are set to boot from the CD-ROM before the HDD? Press Delete when the pc starts counting its ram, and check the boot sequence area of the bios

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 16:22
In my case the CD wasn't bootable to start with, hence the (now lost) boot disk.
It's one advantage with XP over 98 - you dont need a boot disk.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 21:55
well last time i had a Win98 CD it wasn't bootable - said it was, but never booted... WinME's said the same but didn't boot
and you can't just copy across the data needed to boot something, you require a program to REFORMAT the diskette to be able to as it requires certain system files setup within the format itself - else it'll call an error.

but thats kinda what i prefered over the XP/.Net CDs too - they actually booted ... its kinda weird because you boot them from a standard bootdisk and they'll crash whilst copying the files needed. But you boot and they work fine.
It's an annoyance more than anything.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 22:37
What is annoying about XP (probably the CD), is that it crashes whilst trying to install from my DVD drive, but works okay on the CD Writer...
Aside from that I do like XP, and looking forward to Longhorn too...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 22:47
you have a Lite On DvD? cause it does the same on me

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 23:01
No, its an LG drive.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 23:07
Lol Ok, not wishing to sound cocky but I have a "Liteonit" DVD drive and it boots and installs Win98SE no probs, in fact I just did it 3 days ago My copies of Win98 are all OEM bundled so maybe that why they are bootable?

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 23:26 Edited at: 20th Mar 2003 23:27
Possibly - I know mine isn't...

As a side note, Dabs.com are selling Samsung laser printers for £60, which isn't too shabby.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 00:41
might be why ... the copy i had was a store bought, it promptly went back soon afterwards
i've got a Lite On DvD and i've gotta say its the worst bloody thing i've ever bought

its noisy, doesn't have a good reading ability, has a tendancy to not slow down before ejecting the Discs, takes ages to speed up to read a Disc then even longer to actually engage them... did i mention its noisy?
Plus it doesn't like working under DOS Drivers oh and the Earphone jack only outputs to the left channel unless you yank out the jack a lil way just far enough to get the right to engage without disengaging the left... which was frustratingly found out when my personal CD player decided not to work.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 10:25
Get an LG drive - they're not to bad...

Stevo
Years of Service
User Offline
I havent had time to read all of this, but go into your bios find the page which include the boot order. Set it to boot from cdrom first. Don't touch anything else in bios though!

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 15:38
Yep the LG works well for me, maybe the only cdr/rw/dvd that ever put me at ease.. Raven, one thing I do to lot's of cd players/cdr drives that people ask me to fix is open them up and get a common lens cleaner cloth from the camera store, and gently wipe the lens. This fixes 80% of cd tracking problems and can even revive ones you find in the street. I would NOT though use one of those "all purpose cd drive cleaners" with the little brushes, they can really trash your drive. As to the noise sounds like the plastic draw part could be slightly warped and that's not so simple to fix I'm afraid

Mouse: There are plenty of all purpose bootdisk images for 98se on the net for instance http://www.think-future.de/pub/Windows/Win98se/Boot-Disk/

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 14:45
Windows 98+ cd's are ALL bootable, windows 95 wasnt.

When booting it should do some checks then go into the installer, the only time the CD will not allow you to go further is if the harddisk has been formatted and another boot sector placed on it (it must be blank to allow install to continue).

Another thing to note if the installer comes up with the 'you must use the windoes 98 upgrade cd' instead of the full version that you have just rename the win.com file in the windows directory and it will install without a problem.

-EdzUp
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 19:53
I can boot from my win98se, but I think it depends on what type of drive you have.

My 98 has a 3.5 boot disk, you can boot with that it will install the needed drivers for cd use, and setup a ram drive to work the installition from.

If you don't have this boot disk that came with your 98 package, you can download it off the web.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 07:49:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 07:49:51