Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / internet sight

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 02:02
how do you have a FREE sight with a FREE domain name

not like this: http://www.geocities.com/me program/home.htm
but like this: http://www..com

IF it cant be your own domain name and free - WHO DO YOU PAY?
They say i'm crazy
but im actually REALLY REALLY crazy
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 02:42
You mean why do you have to pay if you have your own domain name?

When you build a site, your files go on a server. If you put a site on geocities, you use yahoo's server. You don't have to pay because your site is limited and the "www.geocities.com" is promoting yahoo's site. If you want your own domain name, yahoo makes you pay for the server space. And who does yahoo pay? They own the server. You could have your own server, but that wouldn't be too easy too do.

"All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors."
-Anon.
[href]www.geocities.com/andrew11m[/href]
Speedhorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 02:45 Edited at: 20th Mar 2003 17:36
you've posted in the wrong place, it would be better suited for the General Discussion board.*

Geocities are free hosts, which are usually paid for by the advertising that they require you to display on your site and have annoying URLs such as www.geocities.com/happysunfunkyman1212034.

I don't think there are any .com .co.uk .org. .net etc addresses which you can get free, you have to buy/register them from a domain company, there are loads on-line which you can visit.
When i registered my .co.uk domain name it cost me £15 for 2 years, but .com domains are more expensive. Some companies will offer "free" web hosting when you purchase your domain, however some do not and then you have to pay additional costs for webspace.

If you want to find out some companies who sell domain names, just type something like "Buying domains" on google.com

Hope this is of use.

*EDIT: When i orginally replied to this post it was posted in the DarkBasic Pro Discussion Forum and has now been moved here. Just incase anyone thought i was going off my rocker. x-d

Ralph, Jesus didn't have wheels.
Glennyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 10:47 Edited at: 20th Mar 2003 10:49
Web hosting companies usually give you domain names with webspace. I used 121 Webspace (www.121webspace.com) for my site, and chose www.hailofbullets.co.uk for free, (although you have to pay for renewals every year).

There's probably better comapnies that 121 out there. They aren't amazing, but they're okay. I just couldn't be arsed to search around, this was the first UK-based name that came up.

EDIT: Oh, maybe you don't have to pay for renewals. I just noticed this on the bottom of their front page: "By purchasing a hosting account with us, you will be provided with a free domain name for as long as you host with us." The first renewals is two years after you get the name, I've not quite go that far yet. Guess I'll see in a few months.

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 15:39
The one thing you have to remember is you cannot own a domain name.

You register it for x number of years and pay the registry fee. Nominet and a few other companies are the main registars i think (i am not too sure).

The deal is you get the .com, the registar will then have information on 2 name serves. A main one and a back-up, although only one is needed 2 is prefered. These then direct the user to the server space where your website is.

You can get .tk for free, but that is casue they are a small country and like the advertising. I think there are ads here, but not too sure.

Renewals have to be payed to the regsitar every 2 years for a .com, 1 year for .co.uk etc. It depends on how inportant they are .coms are top and things go down from there. BASICLY.

.info, .tv, .biz, etc can cost more.

If you get a free domain with your hosting in reality you are paying for the domain with the hosting. Domains can be got for as little as $5 a year if you own the nameservers i think...

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 21:39
Namezero is pretty good:

$20 per year with 10mb webmail, email forwarding, sub-domains and URL forwarding.

Current Project: Retro Compo. Entry.
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 23:24
http://www.1t3.com is pretty good. $29.99 (about 18£ ) per year for 50 megs of storage, unlimited bandwith, e-mail, e-mail forwarding, sub-domains, personal domain (not www.yoursite.crappydomain.com)... The list goes on but I'm not a damn sales rep.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 11:49:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 11:49:17