Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Camera Placement - Locking behind a object

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 17:38
Todays Question

Well looking for some advice on how to lock the camera behind a 3d object, so when you turn the screen turns with you. The camera stays right behind the 3d object in question

OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO A) is the 3d object, B) isthe camera
OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO I am wanting to keep the camera behind
OOAOO OOAOO OBAOO the 3d Object as object a turns.
OOBOO OBOOO OOOOO
OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO
#1 #2 #3

I figure there is some funky math involved, so any useful ideas, links sites that I can poke at?

Thanks... Timidon - soon to be the greatest game develeper ever!...

There are many answers but just one question" ~ Jerilith the Mad
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 23:26
What kind of game are you writing? At it's most simple, you can position and orientate the camera in the same way as the object, and then move the camera backwards. Is that the kind of thing you want?

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 00:29
Quote: "What kind of game are you writing?"

The game is a space flight type action/sim idea. Think of the classic "Elite" or maybe even the first "X-Beyond the Fronteir" game by Eggosoft. I want to add multiplayer support to it to, but I will first need to learn the basics (control, collision and then multiplayer-client server stuff), and then extra content. The game is mostly going to be used as a "learning" expereince working with the DbSDK. I have even put togehter my first model, will have some picture shortly, got to get access to my website again.

I plan on using a couple of different camera angles. #1) Main Camera angle will be "cockpit" view, you don't see your ship just the cockpit. View #2) will be a "behind" the ship view, slightly up above. View #3) will be one that you can control, kinda scrolling (oribiting) around the ship. View #4) I want a extra window so I can get a camera and place it have it follow the target object.

Quote: "At it's most simple, you can position and orientate the camera in the same way as the object, and then move the camera backwards"

Ahh hmm that may work, lets open the ide and give that a try.

Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 02:26
Here's some screen shots, posted them up on my wbesite.

http://www.alphastationimaging.com/asgc/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7#7

Enjoy!

I really did not do to much for camera placement, kinda cheated and moved the model back and down a bit to get the "over the nose" effect of the ship in 2nd shot.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 08:22:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 08:22:13