Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / STARTREK!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 16:12
True...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 22:00
I care as well but not when it comes to heights of characters and some of the minor details that are different in all the different series.

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 23:34
What ? No-one else cares about height ? Deary me...

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 23:53
guess not!

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 23:55
hey toady i have been on your web site and looks like you are a pretty good db coder any chance you would wanna help me with a few things in dbp

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2003 00:24
It depends - what problems are you having ?

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2003 00:30
I don't really care how many mistakes there are in Enterprise. I go for the "how enjoyable" factor myself. And it's not very good. Much like that Mutant X trash. Seems to have all the elements of a great show, just ends up being really really uninteresting. To me of course. I love all the others though, just not Enterprise with whatsisname "oh boy" captain. I'm sure some people just love it though.

It would be better if they did some better links though. You know, like whatsername being Spock's gran, meeting Khan, or something. And don't bother stating why these facts would be impossible because of <TECH> or something. I don't really care, just something like them to make it more interesting. And the "prime directive" joke was extremely lame. But better than most of the rest of the episodes. Decent time travel episode would be good too.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2003 00:41
The episode at the end of series 1 of Enterprise is an interesting time travelling episode. I'm looking forward to series 2.

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2003 00:56
i love enterprise and you just wait till the borg show up in it at the end of season 2 can't wait for that.

toady i'm can you explain variables to me i want to write a proagram that will require variables but i dont fully understand em.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2003 01:09
Variables are used to store values and text. Any program will need variables, so you'll certainly need to understand them...

Eg X=4, stores the value of 4 in X
x#=27.5, stores 27.5 into x# (which is completely different to X)
Variables are case in-sensitive (so x and X are the same)

You've got string variables (string$ or str AS STRING) - which stores text of more or less unlimited size - ie a$="This is some text"
Integers (both signed and unsigned) (value or value AS INTEGER/value AS DWORD/value AS DWORD and a couple of others). These store integer (whole numbers only) values, for example avalue=12
And floating-point numbers (vale# or value AS REAL and a couple of others), eg r#=35.801

All variables can be modified in any way you like :

You can increase values using : x=x+1 or inc x,1 - both (should) produce exactly the same code, so its just personal preference.
Decreasing is done like : x=x-1 or dec x,1

When using floating-point variables, you should always use floating-point values throughout the line, otherwise the compiler sometimes gets confused...

The help system has got a bit about variables too...

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2003 01:29
Nah, a proper time travel episode. Where they meet themselves in 2 years time/ago, or end up on voyager, DS9, whatever. Cool.... And the start of the 2nd series is a bit lame to the, admittingly not too bad, end of the first series.

Borg eh? Should be coming up to the end soon here. Sounds better than they usual stuff they seem to be coming up with recently (caught 10 mins off terminal illness episode - yawn....). Still, Borg.... ok.... unless they were good in those days and they talk for a bit, then go away again... sigh....

Cheers

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2003 22:16
Well remember the sphere that blew up in 1st contact well debris from it fell to earth and scientists find it in enterprise with two borg on board.

[href]www.startrekuk.com[/href]

thanx toad that helped!

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2003 23:02
Thats okay...

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2003 14:33
Now that is more like it. Proper merging with other StarTrek stories. Nice. Now, to get Khan to appear out of nowhere.... (cue Family guy KHAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!! type scene)

Cheers

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2003 15:33
Thats pushing it a bit...

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 02:13
No no no. Would be cool. Because if you look at episode... rats, there goes my laptop battery. Sigh, might as well go to sleep...

Night

Cheers

Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 15:48
Wow, ive only been away a couple of days, i didnt know people felt so strongly about trek!
TOS no idea, i hardly ever watched that, (i am only 15) although there was some decent action, the graphics were laughable.
i hated TNG coz it was all too ethical n stuff, they'd have a conference in the observation lounge to decide what to do about the aggressive romulan warbird running weapons hot off their starboard bow. that kinda stuff aint realistic.
Ds9 wasnt bad, but again way too political
VoyAGer Absolute best trek EVER! partly due to the action, pertly due to Jeri Ryan
enterprise love it, more realistic. coz of the lack of decent transporters etc, they have to be loads more inventive in what they do.

anyway, if anyone wants to join my ship, it's totally free ya know

Nothing in life is worth doing if it's hard...

... Except programming
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 02:09
"Graphics were laughable"

Erm.. Nope, no graphics in those days me lad. In some episodes you can see the fishwire (Note enterprise bobbing around like in water).

TOS : Oh yes. This and the camp Batman was what I remember as a kid
TNG : Can't beat it. Twas the best unless you are like 90 or something
DS9 : Yawn until 5 series or so. B5 wannabee.
VGR : Real "fans" hated it, but I thought it was great around series 4. And that original blonde bird was better (Kes was it?)
ENT : I waiting for series 4 or 5. Should be good then. Rubbish now.

Cheers

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 10:20
TOS:Very good
TNG:Very good/excellent
DS9:Very good/excellent
Voyager:Very good
Enterprise:Not bad, should get better.

LLX
Years of Service
User Offline
Wait...Waint their having the BORG on Enterprise? The race the Q introduced to PICARD, 3 CENTURIES LATER....

*looks to Raven.*

Unless your as tough as Vegetta i sugest you run now i'm about to Explode in rage!

LLX Rant Comming in 3

LLX
Years of Service
User Offline
Lets start from the begining eh?

2063 Zefran Cocran creates warp ship
so add 100 years

Offical timeline from the offical enclopedia
Serak of Vulcan isn't born for another 2 years, 2165
2161 is when Starfleet is established
Romulan Wars began in 2156
2117 Zefran Cocran vanishes

2218: "First contact" with the Klingons
2245: "The first starship Enterprise"
that's NC-1701, no letter, pre Pike, Captain ROBERT APRIL

And since its "NX-01" that makes it a Prototype ship
Enterprise Class
there is no Enterprise class, never was

It would have been painfully easy for them to fix it all:

Set it in 2245: the starship Enterpise and Capt: April
The rest of the stuff would have fallen perfectly in line, but no they wanted to disreguard their own continuity.
Would it have been so wrong for them to do it that way?

I'm not done

TNG klingons when TNG klingon were a "mystery," their uniforms look like TNG not the casual wear of TOS.
But i can let that slide

And the Enterprise, ugh:
They took a Akira Class TNG ship, fliped it upside down and put on a Enterprise style saucer on it. A "deflector"
but no deflector dish and TNG PADDS.

Darn them

I personally am just ignoring the entire thing, they could have factored in Romulans for Klingons
and it would work, or advanced it less then 100 more years, but no, they had to make up their own. Invalidating
every piece of history to date and it will never fit in with the rest of the series. Oh ya sure you get new action
fans but you loose every single ST fan in the process.

Let's not even go into the sexual inuendo from a VULCAN, and Frenegie.

Star Trek is over!
I know what you thinking, when Voyager returned it destroyed Star Trek, the Borg Queen is dead and they can destroy a cube with one torpedo. But You know what? You're wrong.

The Borg
First off there are (in theory) 4 Queens in reserve, Remember there are 6 Interflexing Nodes, Voyager destroyed only 1, now (and this was accepted as fact and acknowledged in Voyager) that the Enterprise-E destroyed the Borg Queen, then voyager destroyed another Borg Queen. How can there be two queens you ask? Well look at it like a computer there's a primary queen and an auxiliary queen, when one is destroyed a "princess" is activated. Now the queen in the Alpha Quadrant and the Delta Quadrant are dead but what about Beta and Gamma? And don't forget there are 6, 5 now, Interflexing nodes. So we can assume there's a node in each Quadrant, since each only has exit apertures so they need a way into each quadrant, and that leaves 2 in unknown sectors.

The Unknown
One such sector could be Galaxy M33 - The 33rd object in Messier's catalog of nebula and galaxies. In 2364, the Enterprise-D was hurled some 2,700,000 light-years to M33, with the help of the Traveler. They got back on course but all it would take is for one Starfleet captain to be assimilated for them to know about it and set up a node there, and if they didn't that means 2 still undiscovered Sectors.
No one has ever explored M33, well no Starfleet vessel making it its great fodder for a story set after Star Trek: Voyager. With all of Voyager's enhancements and STABLE quantum slipstream (serioues with all the scientist inthe Federation, the failed voyager one could be worked out) exploring outer universes just got easier.
Course with no Starbases there...it become a space race to colonize M33, Gamma and Delta for the Federation, The Klingon, and Romulan Empires. And with no safe haven to retreat two even the most advanced ship is at a disadvantage when it's alone.
3 areas to explore, at least:
But that's not all, there's 1 other unknown sector, possibly 2, lots of material after Star Trek: Voyager. Voyager actually is a godsend, it resent the playing field to the original series exploration of the unknown, but ups the ante with no safe return.
And heaven forbid you get 2.7M LY's from home and lose your slipstream drive! The Delta quadrant and Gamma are dangerous enough, Voyager had no hope of ever returning home within their lifetimes (except Tuvok) and they were still in our own Galaxy!

But what about back home?
There's plenty of material still they're in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, and when you factor in other "dimensions" and parallel universes and temporal mechanics...
How will the Klingons and Romulans react to the Duex Ex Machina the Voyager bring to the Federation? The Klingons created a cloak that can fire while cloaked and only join the fed cause they wasted there resources, but how do you think they would react with all of Voyager's Enhancement in Federation hands. The Klingon and Romulan alliance with the Federation is already tenuous Alliance, suddenly the federation gains enormous potential for conquest, and we know they wouldn't but if an allied country got a death ray how would you react?
Poliical Intrigure, Decension? The posiblities are endless.
Enstead we get ENTERPRISE, which claims its preekirk but has HOLODECKS, FOCEFIELDS, Frengie, Temporal Cold Wars, and now THE BORG!

Skull_Kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 17:48 Edited at: 29th Mar 2003 17:48
i heartily agree . i think enterprise is quite boring.
Why go back to the very start?
Why not carry on the story from endgame?
That would have been brill!

Well whatever. Even if they were to come now,
they wouldn't be able to handle me.
LLX
Years of Service
User Offline
Enterpirse: It's liek The Next Generation only with a Akira Class Starship.

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2003 07:12
i'm not even gonna tell u why its all possible in enterprise force fields, holodecks etc think about it and im sure you will work it out and read my earlier post for how they end up meeting the borg.

and skull kid enterprise is cool

LLX
Years of Service
User Offline
well when you consider this is sapose to be Pre kirk andthey have post picard tech....

EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2003 12:19
For me Babylon 5 is more plausable than 'every human on earth liking each other', B5 is more like it is today just set in the future =).

-EdzUp

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 18:16:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 18:16:43