Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My hard drive broke!!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 03:59 Edited at: 21st Mar 2003 05:08
Ok, now you can stop laughing, but this is my 2nd broken hard drive.

Well, let me see what I lost overall:

* My 2 Huge tutorials(17 Pages no pictures(1),28 Pages Dark Basic for Dummies book(2)), this was going to be a huge surprise to a community
* My Retro game (Lode Runner, all I have left is a piece of crappy one I saved when I started)
* Pong Online that I worked so hard on
* All my level Creators(All gone! You could save/scroll and stuff)
* My huge project for school(30% of my final mark, due in a week(we had 3 month to do it)
* Also, my CD-RW broke, and I don't have any money to fix my comp

Why does my life suck so much?

This has been such a disaster for me right now, should I just kill myself?

Current project for RGT:

ALL MY STUFF ARE GONE!! ALL OF IT!!!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 04:18
It's my experience that hard drives never really fail completely. The mechanism sometimes dies, but the data often remains on the actual drive. Sometimes even just putting it into a new PC allows you enough access to get the files you need back again. Are there any data recovery firms near you? (or technically minded friends/stores)?

To everyone else - let this be a lesson - back-up your work!!!

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm this could cost me up to 600$!

I don't know... I could, but I am really low on cash. I don't think the data is that important to me right now. Maby later, *puts HD into a safe place*.

thx for that lesson, I agree.

Cheers.

Current project for RGT:

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Btw, what do you guys think about my tutorials? I got way too much time on my hands

Cheers.

Current project for RGT:

Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
what do you mean your hard drive broke? as in, did you hit it with a baseball bat? lol, seriously, what type of hard drive is it, and what were you doing when you started noticing problems?
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 05:20 Edited at: 21st Mar 2003 05:21
ok,

it was Maxtor 40 Gig, my previous one was the same.

By boke I mean: It's heads crashes, so: when I turn it on, it Clicks really loud many times.

I turned it on like 5 times, but I don't want to do that again.

No HD detect/nothing at all.

Cheers.

Current project for RGT:

Chief Voyager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 07:21
what you might want to do is what Rich suggested, put it into another computer, try to nab your files. there is software available that could assist you in retrieving some of your work (if you have the drive in another comp, jumpered and chained as a slave or secondary drive). i've been able to save files from a busted ass hard drive from an old 486 by using a different computer (without excess software, just reconfiguring the jumpers and chain). did you have your drive partitioned into different logical drives or was everything under just one C:\ drive?

You're ate up like a soup sandwich.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 10:18
Why not just get a small job and not do Tuts for a while. 3 weeks and you could have $600 then get the data back in time for the school thing.

Volla.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 12:27
I had problems with an old 20 gig hard drive.(come to think of it thats a maxtor) It wasnt even finishing a format (getting to 99%) ,when i got my new motherboard i thought what the hell ,and tried it out and its worked error free as a slave ever since. They are strange little bastards. :-s

Not-Mr-Thumpy wrinkled his nose, it was suddenly hard to concentrate
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 15:24
What tutorials do you mean?

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 15:50
Yeah I feel for you, when I was in school I stupidly installed NT and it changed the FAT, I lost a lot of work (one years worth) as this was before I had a zip drive and before cdr was cheap enough. I know now I could have recovered all that work, but instead I reformatted etc... Definitely do as suggested above and get to a data recovery firm (they do extort 'cos they know the value of data) if you can't recover your stuff using another pc.
And next time a product fails on you, avoid that brand in the future!! Better to get a cheaper, lower gig hdd AND a cdr than just a big hdd too
Oh yeah, lighning hit my house last night and all the power went, I was terrified my machine had been fryed but seems o.k...Must get a surge protector

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2003 00:09 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2003 00:11
Lol Hard-drives always die on me. Mostly making unsavoury 'boink'ing noises and refusing to read. No that it bothers me much, I back up every night and can get new ones cheap. (And any1 who points out it might be the cheapness of the hard-drives that make them die, um um um well I'm sure I'll think of a witty retort soon )

BTW Sorry to hear of your data loss, sounds like you were working hard Hope you can soon recover it all

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2003 01:44
you need to get a more reliable brand (^_^)
that aside, Rich is right, HDD's never truely die - and OnTrack will take the data off the discs for you ... for like $700

lol which isn't exactly affordable for most people

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2003 02:17
Yep, wise words. But to me, £10 every 3 months is comparitively cheaper than £100+ str8 away I don't mind cos like I said, I keep serious Backups

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
I back up every night and can get new ones cheap

Ahh, that's crazy!

How can you do that! I did backup my stuff, but they were all on the same Disk

Cheers.

P.S: I could probably go to this Computer Edge to work for summer, that way I could gain me some cash!

Current project for RGT:

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2003 04:00
I use a dvd-rw now instead of a million cds and cd-rw,and do it weekly or when I write something extra for my game that I dont want to lose.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
I got few CD-RW,

but I mainly use them for temp burnings.

Btw,

I am getting New SCSI HD FROM IBM!

Cheers.

1PH J00 C4|\| U|\|dER$T@|\||) +|-|I$, j00 |-|@\/3 4lR3Ady w0|\|! - p1r@T$$
Marcusmole
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2003 18:51
if you have two hard drives you can use to boot from the second one and the plug the hd aswell. but you may want to wait for the os to load first then plug the busted HD on the other IDE port. i know pluging a hard drive when the pc sounds dodgy but i have saved many pices of work like that (i used to recuse lost data for people) other than that you could crush the HD so that it would fit in the floppy drive and mabye that would work...lol

Mole of the mini variety and general all round dude

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 13:40:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 13:40:13