Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Anyone know about web servers?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2003 14:17
I was wondering if any of you can point me in the direction of good websites/books on the following topics:
- Streaming Media
- Web Serving

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Incandescant
System: Athlon TBird 800Mhz, 320MB RAM, GeForce 2MX440, DX8.1
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2003 16:42
Gamedev.net usually has alot of stuff... and not just for games development, Devnet is another one, but search for 'Devnet Java Tutorials'
as annoyingly it isn't actually devnet.com or anything like that

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Marcusmole
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2003 18:44
if you need hosting vapournet.com is good

Mole of the mini variety and general all round dude
Incandescant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 17:20
I'd like to learn how to turn a linux box into my own web server really, and how to stream media so that video clips can be watched but not stolen

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 17:36 Edited at: 25th Mar 2003 17:57
Are you using RedHat? It pretty much does it for you,otherwise you really need to read up on it because there is too much to explain here . For the media just look around there are a ton of products/programs try searching www.download.com thats cnet's site. Most web cams have streaming software as for the security well anything that can be displayed can be hijacked very easily no matter what protection is on your end.
Remember google is your friend there are loads of how to sites out there.

It's not the size of your code but how efficiently you use it!
darkCorridor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 19:39 Edited at: 25th Mar 2003 19:40
http://www.shoutcast.com << that is for streaming media Shoutcast is like the server software and then you use winamp to like play media etc. im not sure if you can stream video.

[br]mikey
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 20:03
see this is why i prefer Windows Server .Net cause everything is all setup for using it as a server machine (^_^) ... just install the nessary software, and if you proxy through a Linux server (nothing more than proxy) it gives that added protection

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 20:22
If you are going to set up a linux box as a firewall for a windows machine why not just take the little bit more effort to setup apache as well?

It would save a box as well.

Streaming video will eat bandwidth as everytime someone wants to see a video they have to stream it insted of downloading it once and reading it off their harddisk. It wont stop everybody from saving it either.

http://freshmeat.net/
Is a good place to search for software.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 20:24
Windows Server .Net has Apache, SMTP, POP3, CGI-BIN setup as standard (^_^)
there are a few more but you'd have to ask Jake about what they are if he ever comes on cause i haven't a clue lol

Incandescant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2003 14:38
Ok thanks for all your help gus, I'm gonna give Red Hat a look.
I know how to set it up and everything (vaguely) but how do I get a web address i.e. www.incandescant.co.uk to point to my box running apache??

Thanks again

P.S: Raven - we use linux coz it's free aswell as secure, whereas windows server costs more than I get in a year ( I am a student) and has well known security leaks. Just my two penneth

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2003 21:29
check out DNS places, they will sort you out on domains.

I can find some URLs if you want.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2003 22:31 Edited at: 27th Mar 2003 22:34
Don't get too happy on the security issues, wait to you see the updates your going to have to install even on Linux. And their not service packs either, one by one by one-- you get the picture. Or wait for the first script kiddie get on your system.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 19:01
RedHat Linux isn't free... however i'm confused, are you looking for an online server or setting up your own?

if you're gonna get one that is online, 1on1 are the only company i know which are offering realistic Windows Server 2003 servers + Unix Servers.
The point i'm trying to make is you have 2 systems, one which is a standard system (doesn't really matter what) and you install linux on that.

On your server you then install Windows Server 20xx - you get the security that comes with Linux (however Unix is more secure, and to be honest Windows Server is as well) ... but that way you get ALOT more at your disposal, such as php4.1x | apache 2.x | CGI-Bin | Java 2 1.4.x | SMTP/POP3 | .Net 1.1x etc...
all as standard and setup to work with each other without bugs.

Norton have designed the Firewall systems for Windows Server, which might let you know roughly how protected they are
add to this that Windows is far easier to setup, use and update that any Linux, Unix, FreeBSD, Solaris, BeOS, etc... systems

(^_^) i mean really the only true things that will open your server up to the net even on something old and basic like WindowsXP (which isn't in any form a server OS) is php or java scripting which has loopholes.
if you install something like phpBB2 as your forum, then you've just defeated the whole security you've agonised over getting into place because it opens up a whole layer of your system for its own use but also can be hacked quite easily.

The only true way to make sure this doesnt happen on your is to make sure the scripting is rescripted specifically for that system.

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 19:39
Red Hat is free:

http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=7

Anyways,

Windows has its advantage and disadvantages.

Advantages:

Much more connectivity
security
easy to use interface

Disadvatages:

Microsoft.
most Viruses are aimed at Windows servers casue MS releases info on what the security patches do to secure the system. About 5 hours later there is a virus or 2 infecting the computers without the update.
Microsoft
Loads of updates.
Microsoft.
Not very easy to work with on the admin side, software costs money
Microsoft
The comfiguration is done through a interfacem not a config file
Microsoft

All i can say is that with Apache HTTP server you can get loads of support, upgrades, modules etc. for free as it is open source.

Its fetures are amazing, you can run just about everything through apache. Apart from ASP, but no major worries there. PHP, and most CGI langs work with it. There is wonderfull amounts of logging options. The config is through a single file, so back-ups can be made (not registry based).

OK it may be harder to set up than windows ones, but the amount of controll you get is a major plus point.

As for security, get a proper firewall OR set a windows one up as a proxy and put Norton on there, restirct all ports other than the ones apache and the audio streaming uses (Apache is port 80 but defult, but can be changed). Also there are loads of free linux firewalls that can be put onto the Linux box as added security (most norton beating viruses cannot beat linux ones)

Well i hope this helped...

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 19:50 Edited at: 28th Mar 2003 19:50
You can also use the linux box as a email, news and ftp server if you wish.

Say do you have MSN, my addy is martyn.pittuck@ntlworld.com

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 20:06
I would think that microsoft would be out because of the price.

Run as little stuff as possible and most of the security vunerabilities wont affect you and you will need to do apply less patches. Write or addapt a firewall script (there are hundreds out there) and you should be ok.

Do a websearch and spend a few hours reading.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 20:09
thats the Red Hat Alpha ... i wouldn't touch that with a 10ft barge pole!
just personal preferance, but with good reason.

Martyn you used Windows Server - or is this based on Windows NT based Servers?
because Windows Server is different, updated automatically (oftenly under a few MB which for a Tx/OC connection is literally a min maybe 2 to update) - it doesn't ask you for the download unless it requires a reboot, which most for Windows Server won't as they install and the system does a resource Reboot where it suspends the data flow to the UPS you have for 30seconds, wipes the memory, released all of the system drivers and DLLs then reloads from the updated files. It's back online without rebooting or going offline - just causes a minor annoyance to customers which you can setup in the UPS a temp page which says something like "The Server is currently unavailable" or even just bump them to a mirror for a second.

it is just far superior to use over Linux for many reasons, and i'm stil gonna suggest using Unix over Linux.

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 20:29 Edited at: 28th Mar 2003 20:30
Hey guys i was thinking about making my own web server using windows how would i go about this, i was thinking of using windows 2000 server software although if possible i would rather use win xp if possible, the main thing i dont understand is having people connecting to my server to view web sites and how to connect a domain name to a site on the server, any help would be appriciated.

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 21:22
Search for some open source web servers, there are a few small ones and should show you how they work, it's proberly not worth the effort writing one except for the educational experiance.

I think the redhat alpha from that site would be a bad idea but then anybody with a bit any sense would download the one for their processor.

I am sure windows is just as secure as linux and proberly as easy to patch but why pay for what is avalable for the price of a download and cdr.

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 04:16 Edited at: 29th Mar 2003 08:35
lcfcfan -
Windows server 2000 your ok. If you used XP you would have to have XP PRO, XP home does not have it (maybe using third party software). Second I do this at home only to play around or develope-- You could pay sites that offer different server set ups, such as .net , php with mysql, straight HTML and so forth. They usually charge for other services such as domain name (me@myworld.com) , e-mail services (smtp, pop3,pop4,) , telnet, ftp... You got the money they will get it for you as long as it fits the platform. I could do at home for free, if I really wanted to I could. But I have the knowledge and sources (router/setup, backdoors and friends/beer donations accepted). Most ISP's (don't confuse ISP's with server set up sites above)only give you a 10-50meg home page maybe a static IP but most likly a dynamic IP address.
You could put up a rudimentory site at home,just keep giving out your IP address and see what you can get away with , ftp probally work, whatever you got try it. But ISP's are going to block most services (they want mo money).
If ya have a specific question shoot away.
PS DON'T DO this on your main computer, unless you like surprises. Get a second computer.

I can't stress this enough , the more you open up the more a target you become.

Linux is open source how ever Redhat doesn't sell linux they sell you, without being legal + don't have the box in front of me, they are selling you the convenience of packaging the setup and customization and support. Whew.

Incandescant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 17:23
Obviously a lot more to this whole thing than I imagined. I best get Googleing!

Thanks for your input guys

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 13:42:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 13:42:27