Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Factory Escape - Small FPS game using Dark AI

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2006 15:03 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 12:27
Light Fix

If the game is too dark try to download the exe that is attached to this post and overwrite it with the original exe. It may fix it.

-The Nerd

Hi,

I have been enjoying Dark AI very much so far. And I've just finished this small example game using it I just named it Factory Escape because I wanted a name for it... So... Well... I guess you can say the game/demo is about escaping the factory I have learned some of the basic stuff by creating this little game/demo. Now I will start to look into the more advanced stuff.

It's quite a small game/demo with the purpose of showing a bit more of Dark AI. There is only 1 level in the game with 4 enemies. This is what the enemies are able to do:

-See you.
-Hear you(Footsteps, gunshots, etc).
-If you shoot at them from a distance where they can't hear it, they will instead start to look in the direction where the bullets hit them.
-If they got too low energy, they will try to run away from you
-If you manage to hide from them, they will search the area for a short time before moving on the their original position again.
-They can shoot at you.

Also, you can sneak pass the enemies by using the sneak mode! Hold shift down to use the sneak mode.

For completing the level it is required that you kill all the enemies.

Some screenshots:

Yes... I know that you may think how stupid the enemies look. The enemies are just cones. But as I said, this game/demo was made to show the AI itself, not how great the game can look

You can download the game Here - Packed = Around 12MB - Extracted = around 23MB.

I really enjoyed creating this little game. And I hope you will enjoy playing it too

This little game could eventually be updated to improve the enemies AI over time etc...

Also, I may make this game open source at some point.

Thanks to The Game Creators for creating this awsome DLL

Any new ideas are welcome!

Cheers,

-The Nerd

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2006 18:13
cool,
allthough a little too dark when playing it in daylight :/

and i didn't notice i lost life until after i suddenly was back at where i started, which i assume means i died?

the demo was quite cool anyway

my forum - where everyone is an admin
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2006 18:21
Quote: "and i didn't notice i lost life until after i suddenly was back at where i started, which i assume means i died?"

Yes, that means that you died. I know that it doesn't really notify you properly when being shot at. But you can watch the players life with the counter on the left side of the screen.

Quote: "the demo was quite cool anyway "

Thanks!

-The Nerd

Lance
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 27th May 2006 22:09
The demo runs completly dark on my system.Can't see a thing
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2006 22:21 Edited at: 27th May 2006 22:25
Quote: "The demo runs completly dark on my system.Can't see a thing"

How strange... : / Would you mind testing this exe for me? Just overwrite it with the old one. It may fix the problem, but I'm not sure at all. (The exe is attached to this post).

Thanks!

-The Nerd

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lance
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 27th May 2006 23:03
Nice trick.You draw me into the factory with better lighting just to kill me.I should have known.Nice demo,shows off the A.I...
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2006 23:17
Quote: "Nice trick.You draw me into the factory with better lighting just to kill me.I should have known."

Hehe

Quote: "Nice demo,shows off the A.I..."

Thanks!

-The Nerd

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 06:13
wow i liked it the A.I was asome and so was the level design.

Instead of just learning how to program i am also learning how to model in Wings 3D so if you know of any good tutorials let me know.
Duke Blue Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
It won't run, it says there is a dll file missing.

Visit the official Chicago Rush website
http://chicagorush.servegame.com/index.php
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 11:18 Edited at: 28th May 2006 11:19
Quote: "wow i liked it the A.I was asome and so was the level design."

Hehe... Thanks! Although the AI can get a lot more awsome! Dark AI got many things you can set your AI to do!

Quote: "It won't run, it says there is a dll file missing"

Hmm... I need some more information before I can help you What kind of error? Maybe it could be that you don't have the latest DirectX release?

Cheers,

-The Nerd

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 13:39 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 12:27
[EDIT]

-The Nerd

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Good demo: turn it into an entry for the DarkAI competition.

Was the level DBO created with CShop, 3DWS ... ?
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 00:34
The AI was pretty stupid in my opinion. It kept getting lost near the columns and in one case couldn't decide which way to go. (It kept going backwards and forwards). Still, the demos look good.

<OMG></OMG>
NeX, you cant be serious - CattleRustler.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 11:40
Quote: "Was the level DBO created with CShop, 3DWS "

The level was created using 3D World Studio.

Quote: "The AI was pretty stupid in my opinion. It kept getting lost near the columns and in one case couldn't decide which way to go. (It kept going backwards and forwards)"

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Although I'm sure I can improve it

Quote: "still, the demos look good."

Thanks.

Duke Blue Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 01:04 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2006 01:13
The frame rate is unbelievably slow. I couldn't even get out of the first room let alone test out the new AI.

BTW thanks for the cool textures.

Visit the official Chicago Rush website
http://chicagorush.servegame.com/index.php
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 03:16
Quote: "The frame rate is unbelievably slow. I couldn't even get out of the first room let alone test out the new AI. "

Uhh. I ran it with a constant 66 fps.

@The Nerd

I think that this can be improved in a lot of ways. The AI... Well, it wasn't to hard to get undetected through the level, but I think this is your first application using the new AI plugin, so you might just want to get more comfortable with the plugin.

And the sneak mode is just to easy to use. There are absolutely no disadvantages of using it. Maybe make the player walk slower or so?

Even if the enemies detect you, it's pretty easy to get away from them, without taking any damage. Just press Shift and run.

I know this is just a demo showcasing the AI, but I hope you can use some of my criticism to make an outstanding game for the AI Competition!

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And the sneak mode is just to easy to use. There are absolutely no disadvantages of using it. Maybe make the player walk slower or so?"

Quote: "Even if the enemies detect you, it's pretty easy to get away from them, without taking any damage. Just press Shift and run. "

Yes, it works like an invisibility cloak. It would have been more realistic if the enemies always chase you once that you were detected.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 09:09
Runtime Error 3002 - Could not load sound at line 20

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 09:52
test

my forum - where everyone is an admin
my website - new template yay
popr - back in business
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 11:07
Quote: "BTW thanks for the cool textures"

I didn't make the textures. And please do not use them. Most of them comes from 3D World Studio.

Thanks.

Quote: "And the sneak mode is just to easy to use. There are absolutely no disadvantages of using it. Maybe make the player walk slower or so?"

The sneak mode was mostly implementet as a little demonstration so you could see that it is possible.

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 13:43
As I said:

Quote: "but I think this is your first application using the new AI plugin, so you might just want to get more comfortable with the plugin. "

And:

Quote: "I know this is just a demo showcasing the AI, but I hope you can use some of my criticism to make an outstanding game for the AI Competition! "

So please just consider what I'm saying, it was not to make this demo look bad, I really do like it! I was merely trying to tell you what I think you could do better IF this was a real game.

And again, pretty nice demo. With some improvements, you might just go and get yourself a good position in the DarkAI competition!

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 15:30
Quote: "So please just consider what I'm saying, it was not to make this demo look bad, I really do like it! I was merely trying to tell you what I think you could do better IF this was a real game."

Hehe... Yeah. Although I was a bit nervouse this morning(exams). It might have something to do with the way I replied

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 15:37

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-25 18:22:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-25 18:22:51