Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Limb alpha mapping?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 11:48
I know somebody made a plugin for dbpro where you could control the alpha of individual limbs, is there such a thing for sdk? All my little bundles of grass are all limbs, and I want to be able to fade them out into the distance. What are my options?

All you need is zeal
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 06:05
Sounds like ill have to do this in a shader on a per vertex level? Cry thats a lot of distance calculations...

All you need is zeal
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 22:08
Well I found the plugin for pro (its a dll) is there anyway to get this to "work" in sdk? Dont have a lot of experience with dlls, so I know ill never figure it out.

Heres the plugin, if anyone can figure out how to get this to work in sdk I will have your babies.

All you need is zeal

Attachments

Login to view attachments
EsteemDE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 22:50 Edited at: 15th Jun 2006 22:53
I got your e-mail just now. I have never written a DLL for DarkSDK so I do not know if you have to write them in a very different way or not. I also dont know the structure of DarkSDK. I think they just took the origional DBP DLL's and made them C++ compatible.

What I would try to do is load the Per-Limb Alpha DLL using the import DLL functions in C++ and import the DLL functions you need to use. If you dont know how to call/import a DLL just google it. Lots of tutorials are out there for it and its in very few lines of code. C++ shouldnt have a problem loading the function for use.

Thing is you will need to have the DLL sent with your game in 1 of 2 ways. 1) put the DLL in your games directory and load it like normal or 2) put the DLL inside the exe itself and load it internally like a resource file. Either way it is simple to do if you look up the code to do it, the code of both methods isnt that much different from each other.

There will be a few outcomes from this. 1) being it wont work at all, 2) being it will work, 3) it will work (meaning no error will occur) but the DarkSDK program wont be effected (it will look for a DBP window instead, and because it cant find it, it will just cancel execution of the function silently).

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 23:18 Edited at: 15th Jun 2006 23:19
I had wondered, but not tried, of the idea of loading a normal DBP plugin, using the dbLoadDLL function because we all know that DBP plugins have three functions which are normally called by the DBPro system automatically (Constructor, Destructor and ReceiveCoreDataPtr) Now, I'm not sure if the dbLoadDLL function will automatically test for these three functions, and call them before returning control to you. Even if they are not called, you can very well setup three function pointers in C++, and manually call them yourself before calling any of the normal plugin functions. Defining a header file with the function pointer typedefs etc.

My guess is that if you manually call ReceiveCoreDataPtr yourself, passing the GlobalPtr object from DGDK, it may just work.

[EDIT[ Disregard all that, it won't work.. (obviously). because of the dependencies required by the plugin for calling the normal DBP function infrastructure.

Paul.

Home of the Cartography Shop - DarkBASIC Professional map importer
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 06:40
Akk im confused. Did we determine that theres no way in hell to get this to work? or is there hope?

Oh I hope there is hope... I started writing my particle system today and realised, hey, I need to set the alpha of these damn particles (I dont want them to just disappear, that looks like crap). Theres a million reasons why we need a way to set the alpha of a limb, this is one plugin we really need.

If I knew who made this plugin I would bug him to make a sdk version, but I didnt see any readme or author file included in that zip. How hard do you think it would be for a experienced 'dll guy' to write such a plugin for sdk?

All you need is zeal
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 07:50
Relatively easy I would imagine, just that I'm tied up with other stuff.

Paul.

Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 21:25
Well thats good to hear (that it doesnt sound difficult). I wouldnt want to tie you up anyway, you keep doing your dot net thing

Ill take my plea to the dll boards

All you need is zeal
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 02:59
Zeal, if you do find out who did the plugin, converting it to a static lib to work with DGSDK, should be a doddle. The same was for my CSM importer plugin, it did not require all that much work.

Paul.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 05:01
Monster made it. I think his email is support@accode.com

Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 07:08
Yup thats who it was (his post was in the code snippets board, I never checked there). I sent him a email, im sure either him or some other kind soul will be able to give this a look.

All you need is zeal

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 19:35:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 19:35:40