Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Dumbow & Cool Level Editor and Competition!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 02:14
http://www.drewsgames.com/leveleditv1.zip

Size: 24mb
Functionality: V1. Build your own levels for Dumbow & Cool, and test them out in this all-in-one editor / runtime package. No other downloads needed.

Features:

Create levels for Dumbow or Cool
Matrix manipulation
Add coins
Add platforms - timed, moving etc...
Set time limit
Test out in real time!

Competition: ...

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 02:21
Competition: Although there are not too many things to play around with in this first version, the competition is open all the same.

Create a level!
Send the folder "data/custom/#" of relevant level via email to DrewCameron@ddrw.com
It may be included in future versions of D&C, with your name in the credits!
If you send in 5 or more finished, high quality levels, you get a free copy of Dumbow & Cool!

At the end of it all, the overall best user-submitted level will earn it's creators £10 over PayPal (and a free copy of D&C). For more information on Dumbow & Cool, check out http://www.drewsgames.com

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 02:21

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 03:06
Wow, did this thing relaly need three posts?

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 03:36
Hey Sam, Shut up. Look at what he shows before you judge. This isn't some newb posting a lot because they don’t know about the edit button, this is Drew Cameron. The three posts each have separate info on them, encouraging you to read all of them. Also the fact that this is awesome should make you less critical.
No, it doesn't need three posts, but considering each post is full of information and are all for the intro of the thread, it really doesn't matter. Sorry if I sound harsh, but this isn't the kind of thing people get mad at. When three posts are made in a row which lack any information, then it's annoying.

Awesome editor Drew. I've just tried it and was making huge levels in minutes. I'll give a full review and make some awesome levels when I have a bit more time.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 03:37
Count me IN!

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 07:32
When i test a saved level it gives me an error...

something with lin 8000 and more bumbers after the 8000...

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 10:50
The forums were being gay when I posted and it wouldn't let me edit.

Look at the post times / edit times to prove it.

I look foward to receiving entries!

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 12:14
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 13:47
Quote: "The forums were being gay when I posted and it wouldn't let me edit."

Indeed, I think there's a lot of us that are having that problem. :S

But I downloaded the editor last night, but I didn't try it out. I'll give it a go, and see what it's made of!

Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 02:09
I'm doing it.
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 05:57 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2006 07:44
hmmm i think i'll give this a spin.

edit: Good job drew! I had a little trouble when i first started it but i was soon on my way to making a nice little level with it. Question though: Can you place where the bad guys are? When i tested my level i saw some in the distance but there wasn't a tab that let you put them in the game.

The nintendo Wii. Okay...
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 10:08
In future versions you will be able to place Studes, yes.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 03:13 Edited at: 4th Jun 2006 03:17
Quote: "Hey Sam, Shut up. Look at what he shows before you judge. This isn't some newb posting a lot because they don’t know about the edit button, this is Drew Cameron. The three posts each have separate info on them, encouraging you to read all of them. Also the fact that this is awesome should make you less critical.
No, it doesn't need three posts, but considering each post is full of information and are all for the intro of the thread, it really doesn't matter. Sorry if I sound harsh, but this isn't the kind of thing people get mad at. When three posts are made in a row which lack any information, then it's annoying.
"

Well, excuse me! Now that I know it was a forum bug, I apologize. But, if there had been no bug, then you can't just assume that because someone is a good user it's ok for them to triple post. If there were no bug, its an obvious attempt to increase the number of posts.

Drew, sorry, since it was a bug, you're ok. And by the way, nice job.

Bizar Guy, no need to explode over so small an issue. All I did was offer a small question as to why some people post 3 times. In fact, I tried to edit my post to say that he did a good job, but couldn't, becasue of the bug! I should of realized it then, but he should have put all of the info in the first post the first time, then he wouldn't have needed to edit it in the first place. Maybe he already knew the edit button wasn't working.

Quote: "Look at what he shows before you judge."

By the way, I judge based on the quality of the user or his work, which is something too many people on these forums do.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 11:37
Quote: "Drew, sorry, since it was a bug, you're ok. "

Oh, okay. I'm glad to hear that. Thankyou for your forgiveness.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 01:35
Holy schnit somebody enter the competition holy schnit!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 02:44
Quote: "Well, excuse me! Now that I know it was a forum bug, I apologize. But, if there had been no bug, then you can't just assume that because someone is a good user it's ok for them to triple post. If there were no bug, its an obvious attempt to increase the number of posts.

Drew, sorry, since it was a bug, you're ok. And by the way, nice job.

Bizar Guy, no need to explode over so small an issue. All I did was offer a small question as to why some people post 3 times. In fact, I tried to edit my post to say that he did a good job, but couldn't, becasue of the bug! I should of realized it then, but he should have put all of the info in the first post the first time, then he wouldn't have needed to edit it in the first place. Maybe he already knew the edit button wasn't working. "

I'm sorry I exploded. However, I wasn't exploding because you didn't like his three posts. I was angry that he had just posted an amazing piece of work and the first reply said nothing about it but that he shouldn't have posted thrice.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 03:48
Downloading now...

Can we make our own tiles btw?

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 12:55
You sure can, in a kind of workaround way.

You'll find the relevant tile things in /3D. Edit it. The images that decide the levels look are: "BGP1.bmp", "MatrixP1.bmp", "waterplainP1.bmp" etc... That is to say, the skysphere, the water plain and the matrix.

Just send across your custom tileset and images when you enter levels, and I'll alter the code to allow for your 'theme' if I include your level.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 00:38
Is it possible to play the level with cool? Or even better, with both dumbo AND cool?

I've got a level idea cooking up, but I'll need to test it with both Dumbo and Cool. I still can't get cool to work. I'll enter the compo, but it will take a while as I am a busy stude...I mean dude.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 12:49
Click on the Cool tab on the right and save before you click 'Test', then you will be playing as Cool.

The game's core engine doesnt' yet allow for time attack levels featuring both Dumbow and Cool, sorry.

Look foward to what you cook up!

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 15:22
Ah, TIME ATTACK levels. That makes more sense. Alright, will see what I can do...

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 03:23
Everytime I try to test out my level, I place my starting position, hit test, it starts up, screen remains blank, voice says "yeah another job well done" and it goes back to new/load win.

It should go back to editor, not delete your level.

Also, when I cycle through platforms, the back arrow doesn't go back, it just goes forwards. You got two forwards arrows.

Overall, my first impression of the editor was "very proffesional". Not very usable though. Looking forward to actually creating something once I get this sorted out!

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 11:53
Quote: "Everytime I try to test out my level, I place my starting position, hit test, it starts up, screen remains blank, voice says "yeah another job well done" and it goes back to new/load win. "

And you have placed some coins? I forgot to do that at first. :p

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 11:58
You need to save your level, Megaton, before you test it. Added to ToDo list.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 01:29
No entries? Bah, humbug! See this is why I gave up programming: too much effort for no pay back.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 00:09
I just finished playing the actual game and I've got to say it's one of if not the funnest DB Game ive played yet.

My only crit is (SPOILER):

Ill play around with the editor and if the compo is still on maybe get an entry in. If I come across some spare monehs Ill be sure to donate them to the game.

- RUC'

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 12:52
Yes the compo is still open, and I am infact working on the karting game today.

The deal is that I work on this for a week inbetween Milk Paton episodes.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 11:51
Okay, I'll be working on this again tommorrow morning. I'll be posting updates in the Dumbow & Cool Large Upgrade thread in WIP since that seems to be the happening place now.

Mods, feel free to lock!

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 16:57
Drew I think people would be more willing to submit levels if the editor wasn't so buggy. ATM the collision is weird when testing, coins can only be placed on matrix locations (not platforms), the new level feature seems to leave some of the previous level data still, there's no delete feature for the platforms... I think I remember a few more just not sure what they were. I had a crack at making a level but until the editor gets fixed up a bit (if it does) Im not going to be entering (though by the looks of things I could win ). Still a great game (loved the GUI/enter screen for the editor), keep it up!

- RUC'

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 20:33
Quote: "ATM the collision is weird when testing"

Am aware of the rest of the problems, but the collision is EXACTLY the same as in the main game. I've said this before, but I only have 1 week a month to work on D&C, and then I have to drop whatever I'm doing on it until next month. Its that time of month again, so I will be fixing it all up.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 08:40
I noticed when I tested the games, if I went into collision with a high matrix tile on the slanted part of the tile, it would either position me at the top of the matrix tile or the bottom. Whereas in game, you'd be positioned where you collided with the matrix, slant or no slant, and slide down if there was a slant.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 11:58
No actually the same would happen in the game, but thanks to keen level design you never find really steep slopes, or at least, not often.

Ekko
Years of Service
User Offline
OOHHHH! I wanna try it!
Drew, you need more bandwith if your going to be posting such awsome things
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 10:58
Yeah. MilkPaton.com, DDRW.com, Drewsgames.com and MrWaldie.com all run off the same hosting account ha ha. Back August 1st.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 17:12 Edited at: 20th Jul 2006 17:12
And for no particular reason I suggest uploading it to another service, such as this forum, due to the fact that downloading a 24 meg file probally is a good bandwidth killer. My god drew... what have you done... you blew your bandwidth away in 19 days.

Either means you have exceedingly popular work... or just an excessivly over taxed server.

Your Mod was deleted by the Government.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 20:23 Edited at: 20th Jul 2006 20:24
Well you can send me money via PayPal or wait because my money is being saved up for something immense.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 22:10:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 22:10:42