Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Operation system

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 18:38
I'm just curious. If it's easy I want to make one. How do you make an operation system. In what language, can you make something that it does run on every computer. So you don't need an os like windows or linux or something. I'm just curious, I don't even know a thing about it.
Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ 256 MB Ram Geforce 4 TI 4200 128 MB
www.cuso.tk
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 18:56
A good language is C/C++, Linux is actually written in one of them. I would think its not easy, as you have to have it handle the filesystem, input, it has to be able to execute programs etc. If you still want to make one, I'd suggest you try to get some resources off the web.

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
If you want to develop an Operating System I would personally knuckle down and learn ANSI C/C++ and ASM.

Before actually trying to develop your own OS, I would develop an Operating Environment System, much like the earlier versions of windows that relied on DOS. Use ANSI C/C++ and ASM to get a 'feel' for what it's like, develop your own GUI for your OES etc... ok, so it won't be a true Operating System that works independently, but you will learn alot in the process.

Do not anticipate the outcome of the engagement, let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment - from "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 19:48
most people start with an independant Kernel and go from there
i think C is probably the easiest of languages to do this in, but if you want to make a true OS - you'll have to start in Binary to explain to the computer the characters you want to use for what code ... then with the characters make a basic language so that it knows howto deal with other things in a logical fashion, then upgrade the language to be able to handle memory management and such.

i mean if i were you i'd goto a computershop near by, and buy yourself an old x86 or 2x86 with some basic components (186 would probably be best) and then tinker using that because
a) you can actually get data on what all of the processor, chips and other eletrical components are designed like
b) if something goes horribly wrong you can always buy a new one for a few bucks
c) its possible the easiest starting point

i'd also grab a book on Circuit Logic as that'll also help

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 22:53
Thank you all. I didn't expect that much replies so soon! I understand now how difficult it is, but I still want to try it. Maybe you know some good web resource, i've searched but I didn't found something. But I'm not English so I don't know what to typ realy in an search page to find something about this.

Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ 256 MB Ram Geforce 4 TI 4200 128 MB
www.cuso.tk
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2003 02:08
try 'Disk Operating System Development' or something like that, i dunno i'm pretty poor at searching the net.
might wanna start by finding out some design schematics - i mean early programmers and device programmers are also pretty good with circuit development

because you need to know the logical flow diagram that the board will follow, from that you program the system to respond to make sure it access such-n-such part (^_^)

a good place to start is by programming chips, Texas Intraments and thier calculators perhaps

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 20:26:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 20:26:02