Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3D Modeling

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ty yellow, and I will attempt that, if not, restart - Raven. =)

Tigerdane
Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
Ty yellow, and I will try to do that, or restart, Raven. =)

Tigerdane
Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, there is a second page, I thought it wasn't posting. Haha!

Tigerdane
Slick
Years of Service
User Offline
Jerico2day that is the greatest link of my life
so many emotions so little time

i too am fluent in so many languages but modeling is a bitch u solved some big problems my friend

cheers

Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol, Same here, Slick.

Tigerdane
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 00:26
no prob mate

Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
Here, I finally got an animatable object! =) But, there is a setback. She has the UGLIEST head, I will have to fix it soon.

http://www.geocities.com/bm_opi/Animated.html

Tigerdane
Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
Hrmmm, how would I animate this model for DBC compatibility?

Tigerdane
Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, duh, Jerico2day gave me a tut.. hehe.

Tigerdane
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 19:01
Woah yeah she's got a face like davros, but it's been cool watching this develop, I remember when I first started modelling, the tears, the joy, the broken keyboard and monitor... but it's all worth it in the end, once you get the technical skills down it leaves you free to imagine just about anything and be able to bring that to life, kinda like being able to record your dreams and play them back

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 19:11
Oh yeah, the question, got carried away there

In dbc, you need to break your mesh up into separate objects, so wherever you want her to bend, you need to part the mesh there and detach the faces into separate objects and round off the ends of these new objects somewhat to make it look sortof like there isn't a break. You can hide the join with a ridge in the clothing, or follow the ethos generated by this limitation, which is to create models that tend to wear mechanical looking gear like exoskeletons etc. Anyhow, once you've done that, you'll need to set up the linkages, which means you need to learn how to move the pivot points independantly of the mesh.
When you cut her up, instead of one mesh with one pivot, you'll have several meshes, each with their own pivots...
learn that, then move the pivots to where you'l like her to bend, so for the forearm pieces, move the pivots to the shoulders, etc.
Once you've done that, you need to link the different pieces together, in order of importance or influence, so the wrists to the forearms, forearms to upperarms, upperarms to upper torso, if she's going to have separate parts to her torso, make the final linking point the pelvis, then when you open the model in dbc, the links will cause the model to have numbered limbs.
You can animate her in milkshape first, or use dbc to rotate the limbs, they'll rotate around the points where you put the pivots in any case

Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
Um, ok? =) I didn't really understand that. But when I did it my way, something happened to the shoulders and knees, like you said. I will try some experiments. =P

Tigerdane
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 18:12
Well, I'd had a few last night!!, That Should read TO prepare a model for dbc, you need to break your mesh into separate objects, in whatever modeller you'r using
The reason being that mesh animation (animating vertex movement) isn't supported in dbc.
So it looks to me like you've built a single mesh model there, so you need to seperate it into limbs, to give you multiple pivot points which you can rotate, be that in dbc or the animation/modelling package you're working in.
You still need to learn how to use the modeller, but the principles above are for preparing a model for use in dbc, specifically for animation.
Try using like, a box and an oblong, move the oblong's pivot point to one end, then link the oblong to the box.
Now press animate, create a key, move the time slider along and create another key at this new point in time. Then rotate the oblong somewhat. It should rotate around the pivot point you placed.
Export this simple model as a .3ds, and you now have one object, with one limb(well 2 if you count the box), with some animation date contained in the .3ds file.
If you load that object in dbc, and do the loop object command on it, you should see it animate the same way it did in your modeller.
Doing this simple animation with primatives in a simple way might help you work out how to apply the same principle to a more complex structure

Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
I suppose haveing DBPro would make everything easier. Should be in within the end of the year.. haha. I oredered it about 2 weeks ago, still waiting. (From UK to US)

Tigerdane
Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
Just got Pro.. =D SO HAPPY!.. mwhahah!

Tigerdane
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 00:27
Well now you have to learn about bone animation, which in one way, is much easier, and a lot cleaner, but on the other hand, involves some new concepts like bone influence envelopes... and not only that, bones are essentially the same thing as i've described above, (separate linked objects with pivots at the joints) it's just that you use them to deform a mesh, ooh, come to think of it your're in for fun fun fun with getting your model to deform properly for the first time, you have to design the mesh to deform around the joints which really only trial and error will teach you, though there are some great tutorials out there I think in milkshape there are some premade skeletons you can stick inside your mesh to start you off, try tools->half life->default female skeleton

Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
I already have a skeleton, and most of my animations.. hehe.. Just need to remake the damn head. =)

Tigerdane
Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
Why can't I load my object into DBPro? It just shows a black screen? =/

Tigerdane
Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline

Tigerdane
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 19:29
did you try just :load object "an.x",1
with no other code, looks like you're scaling the object veeery large, your camera may be inside it, also, i'm not sure about pro, but the distance you're moving the camera back looks a bit far also, if the max range is 5000...

Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
I did try just loading the object. After that I scaled the object larger, because it was smaller in the modeler, then this morning I resaved the model a different way, and now it works.

Tigerdane
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 08:12
im max and such you have to reset the setting for it to be standard size...
for Max you must set the Generic Units to Centimetres, then set the conversion Unit to 0.01 Metres

or atleast that was right for DB Standard, Pro however annoyingly uses a different size scheme which i've not done any tests on yet but i think its around 10x larger which means you'd have to change the Metres to 0.1

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Howitzer
Years of Service
User Offline

It depends on the reason you are downloading it (I don't sell my copies). I would rather get the program for free than spend enough money to buy a (crappy) car. Besides, KaZaA won't be around forever...

Cause I Support Peer 2 Peer Networks!

Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
I set the size to 1.0 instead of 0.1 or even 0.01 . Worked for me. =)

Tigerdane
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 12:28
lol tigerdane. you should make one large post, not seperate posts that are only 1 minute apart . But no one is stopping you

--------
http://www.stellarblue.vze.com/
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 23:10
HAHAA ... try posting with just code guys

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry about the posting thing, I usually don't think about what I am saying. =) Then it all comes to me.. haha...

Tigerdane
Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
I just modeled a car, but whatever I do, I can't texture it.. =P. What is the best method of UVMapping a model from Milkshape?

Tigerdane

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 13:52:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 13:52:32