Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / How many poly's are too many (in your opionion)

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 07:46 Edited at: 31st Mar 2003 08:21
How many polygons are too many for a...
character:
spaceship:
or anything else you wanna post(houses,swords,guns,etc.)

Generally if I had 20 spaceships or characters on a screen moving at once what would be a good polygon count to get at least 30fps minimum.

Thank you for your time.

Clans of our Galaxy
A new space simulation coming in 2004 -yellow-
updates:10 new spaceship models
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 10:43
I would say the limit is reached when your game slows down beyond what you can tolerate on the target system.

You really have to balance this out in order of importance.
I will say it's better to start lower, then build up from there.
You are limited by the shapes you're making too.

For a character model, I'd seriously try to keep it under 800 faces if possible, at least to start with because it's way easier to add detail than to take it away, and most detail stuff can be added with clever texturing.
You can also make three or four models, with higher and higher levels of detail to switch between depeding on the distance from the camera.

But in the end, it's a balance between every element of your program that gives you the speed, not just the poly's, so be prepared for some varied opinions on this

BTW, the question itself is flawed, are your spaceships rounded, or boxy?

for instance, if I want to make a cube shaped thing, well I'm stuck with at least 6 poly's, unless I use a sprite. Or, if i'll never see the back face in a game, I can remove that and have 5. So you can only reduce to a certain point, based on the overall shape of the object.
Personally, I go as far as possible, without losing the impression I'm trying to give

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 15:04
character:2000 and up is too many
spaceship:400 and up is too many

That's all personal though...Goes with the targeted machines too.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 15:36
This issue is widely discussed on this forum. It all depens on what level of detail you are trying to achieve in you game. If for example the player is going to be always at least 20 metres away from it then it only needs a few polys. If however it is a gun that the player is always focusing on then you can expect this to have a higher poly count. Dont expect to use FFX kind of characters poly counts. This will destroy ur graphics card.

Im addicted to Proplus.
Current Project: Eternal Destiny by Halbros Productions
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 17:08
I don't like LOD models personally...

It used to bug me off in Halo especially,I see it all the time when it activates/switches...

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 17:53
Thanks for your input.

Clans of our Galaxy
A new space simulation coming in 2004 -yellow-
updates:10 new spaceship models
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 02:24
i bet most don't even know FFX polycounts
if you want to know your max polycount - take the engine you'll be working on and add objects until the engine starts to slug.

Take note of the polygon count, now you half this because you're game will need around that much for the gameplay - quarter this value if you are planning on an online game or one with greater Ai than normal.

now use that as your MAX Polygons per scene (or that you can have onscreen at once) ... everything is a case of learning howto share effectively.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 02:32
for me: 1000 character
400 space ship

of course im making a real time game

As I walk through the vally of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
- Psalms 23:4
Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think loading up each model will work so well I would load up something that you know will be on the screen at the same time, that way, you know what needs to be reduced. Loading up all the models would not make much sense, since you will prolly try to reduce every model you have..

Tigerdane
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 04:20
actually loading all the models you'll use to memory is a good idea, and reusing then reusing the resources takes alot away from it rather than like loading and deleting whenever they're on and off screen... you just write over with a blank mesh - works much better

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Tigerdane
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I suppose if u do it that way. =P Didn't clearly understand on the other post... hehe.

Tigerdane
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 07:08
well its not the number of models your using, becuase you're loading the models to the resources - most people load each model into the resource they'll be using, so whenever they need a new instance of the model they're go
'load object "whatever.x",object'

instead it is far easier on the program and memory to just go

even better way is to load into memblock the object... and if you have them all in a runlength kinda thing - all you need is the Offset and can create the object from that

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 05:52:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 05:52:52