Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / bsp/x formats

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 21:30
Hi there

Is there any software that can convert Quake III .bsp files to .x, .3ds, .max, or .ms3d? Preferably with textures intact?

I am using ac3d but the results are far from perfect unfortnately.

Any input appreciated Thanks
Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 00:51
there is a BSP->WRL ... you can then use Max to convert that in turn to DirectX
thats how i was doing it about a year ago until i fully understood the format and could back engineer it into whatever format it liked.

Only problem is i've never really made a sucessful DirectX model as they always screw up the textureing (which when you have close to 200 textures for a level is just ridiculous)

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 01:38
Yeah I found a command line utility called 'q3bsp' that converts it to vml, but it didn't work, kept saying couldn't crumple bsp - I fiddled with it for aaaaaaaaages

If you know of a working one tho I'd be happy to hear of it, even without textures it'd b useful Thanks

I'm kinda amazed there's no importer or exporter for 3dsmax

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 06:29
well BSP is a compiled format not a source format...
infact it was designed quite specifically for speed and not to be loaded or saved as a standard format. Converting something to BSP should be the end of its editing life, and it is quite a bugger to actually decompile them as it were.

thats what the .map format is for
and there is another convert which decompiles most BSP formats to thier original .map format - however again there is the problem that Max doesn't contain an importer/exporter ... mainly because of licence issues, but also because you ever tried to work with the Max SDK - it is a bitch, and thats putting it nicely. It's far easier to just use the purpose built BSP editors.

however most of the BSP->whatever format also come with full source, so really all you'd need to do is edit the BSP format data header - setup the new routines of howto handle certain part, like the Spline Patches ... all of which can be found within the Quake3 Tools SDK 1.27h
it is alot more bother than it is worth to be honest, so unless there is a REALLY and i mean REALLY good reason you need A particular BSP world - then i'd suggest just working on a world in Worldcraft, export as DXF and then use Max to texture and Export as a DirectX (^_^)

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 11:59
Ahh I see, prolly won't bother

Its not really important I can get round it other ways, I just wanted a (very) quick fix

Thanks man

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 15:27
if i remember certain channels do freeveiws at midnight for that kinda thing

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 06:03:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 06:03:23