Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How Much Cash Have You Made Programming???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 04:38
I'm Just Wondering How Much Money People Have Made Programming In Dark Basic... Post Here How Much Money You Have Made and How You Made IT...

I've Made 35$
I Programmed A 3-D Pong Remake And Sold 7 Copies to my freinds at 5$ apiece.
Anyone Can Destroy...But Few Can Create...
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 06:44
That and "how much do you weight" are considered the two rudest questions ever. It's right up there with "What's your alingment?"

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 06:48
3" to the north

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 07:06 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2003 07:11
In other words "nothing" ", I weight 235 6'1" and where's my Azimuth , I misplaced mine. Last time I saw it , it was pointed at the north star.

It's not the size of your code but how efficiently you use it!
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 07:18
Oops, misspelled it, alignment. Last time someone asked me what was my alignment, I smashed their head in with my +3 Warhammer of Thunder.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 07:53
Really? i would've expected that was a little rude to do in the middle of a Bar ... plus where can you buy +3 Warhammers at this time of the year?

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 08:56
Nah, it was some loser's henchman in the middle of Elimdor forest, I only wished his master was as weak, the guy was a huge Ranger.

As for the Warhammer, just look for Fredant the Arcane. He ussally is around these parts on the 174 of spring.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 14:23
I've made around £30 over the last 15 years or so (first sale was a music program from the C64, and the last was a doubly-linked list module for the RiscPC).

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 14:32
Hey i had an idea of how to make some money, get permission from paramount to make a trek game, then make a rip of starfleet command for the GBA cool?

Tha D'lithi'om CRR'ist'lls Can'na Tek it Cap'n!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 14:50
oh oh oh ... can we say how much we've made from the industry in general?
ya know i've had 2 offers this year for my services, paying ...
not gonna say how much though - cause i only know the inital payment (which isn't to be sniffed at) for my original work + a small percent of royalities, which also should be pretty good ... probably about the same again as the inital payment

however industry wise, over the past 4-years i've earnt $475,000net (to the nearest 1,000)
before that although not professionally myself and brent earnt around $280,000 for FUBAR Technologies - most went back into computers and software though, surprisingly expensive SGI machines and such were...
(i've put it in dollars cause it sounds like more hehee )

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 15:00 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2003 15:01
Hard to say because i've been salaried on most of my commercial works, but when I was at school I earnt £12.50!

Industry-wise. That's so hard to work out - total up all the money i've ever earned and then take off what i'm still owed...

So to match Raven's scale of 4 years i've earnt from the industry a figure in the region of £30,000 of actual received wages. Maybe it's just aswell i'm unemployed now (following the last firm going tits up), temp jobs pay about the same as that and are a lot less stress.

EDIT: You can buy +3 Warhammers from the Revenge shop in Bankruptsville. Although personally I preffer the 'Mace of Utter and Repeated Bludgeoning'.

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 16:44
A big 0$...but of course I almost never program.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 16:56
When I was about 11 my spectrum game "Lester the panty theif" made me $25. That was at $2.50 for a c90 cassette with the game on it and a hand scrawled cover insert. Nothing at all since then

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
n3t3r453r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 17:23
You sold game to your friends???? Hm.. strange.. in our country people doesn't asking money from their friends and doesn't asking money from other people for project which prise is less than $10

I'd like to change the world, but God doesn't want to give me sources!
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 17:34
Well, I think you're reading words that ain't there pal, I didn't have any friends when I was 11, I sold them to the guy at the milkbar who stocked homemade games like this in a little stand on the counter

n3t3r453r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 17:42
@Danmatsuma
Sorry, my message was written for Game_Creator. Not for you.

I'd like to change the world, but God doesn't want to give me sources!
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 18:11
Tehee my bad

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 18:18
You gotta remember that the US encourages capitalism, and a kid there is encouraged to be 'enterprising', they generally wouldn't see that as a bad thing. My country seems to have borrowed that ethos too, at times it seems like the only thing driving people is a lust for money, but that's a bit different, there's no real culture here to fill the void...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 19:29
perhaps... but its encouraged within the UK, and Russia, and well most bloody places, else you'll be poor - and quite frankly that isn't something alot of people cept hippies like

but still i've never heard of something so absurd, i've never charged my mates for anything ... i mean its just not something you do to your mates

personally i blame poor ethics from the parents myself, what actually shocking is they paid it!! you try that with your mates in the UK they'd either be like "aww c'mon i'm ya mate, give us a free copy!" or they'll be like "WHAT?! Your out your f**king mind!"

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:08
I have made a staggering £0.00 directly from programming and don't really intend to ever make any.

I have made about £100 in donations over about 4 years from fixing peoples hardware and software problems as well as making old computers usable and fixing other electrical equipment.

I don't really find money a great reward for work and don't think money is the best thing to be motivated by.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:09
Hehee I've been poor and I've been rich, but i found the value of money is not what's printed on the paper, it's in what's sitting on the liquor cabinet shelf

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:18
you mean ya trusty guns & guniess?

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:28
Black'n tan, till the face can't be felt, then onto the single malt...

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:34
'That and "how much do you weight" are considered the two rudest questions ever. It's right up there with "What's your alingment?"'

who cares if you think its rude. its only rude if its asked to a particular person, duh. u cant be offended unless you reply

Always has, never will
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:47
i've decided to take offence :: pouts :: ... now i want chocolate or beer to make up for it, and i mean the GOOD stuff!
:: crosses arms ::

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:54
Chocolate filled beer balls, hmm , nah, not even Danmatsuma could eat that.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 21:23
Are you kidding? Beer anything get's at least a second glance from these greedy peepers

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 23:26 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2003 23:27
Most of my games are written for friends and me to play so I don't sell them - mind you I tend to make my games free downloads anyway, but I can semi-relate to the issue because when I was at school I used to buy boxes of sweets from the cash and carry and flog them to the other kids.

Of course that had risks, older bullies (had a fair amount of stock stollen, got posted several times etc.), once even had the bag knicked and found my course work all over the playground and the sweets gone.

That said I also made a fair old whack of money for an 11 year old. It was good trade right up until the canteen started complaining that morning break trade was down. Perhaps I shouldn't have opened up shop in their actual que...

So in conclusion I guess it depends on whether you consider the other kids friends or not, I certainly wasn't friends with the whole school afterall.

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 00:01
wow...28 replies and only 7 of them were about the topic... most of them were flaming me for asking a stupid question...lol

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 00:06
oh... and what is so wrong with dishing out money for a freind who worked hard on something...i've given my freinds around 45$ because they worked hard and deserved some cash...ummm...that's about it, and thanxs to the 7 that did reply to my question.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 00:49
Most of my projects are freeware and/or open source.

However, I reckon to make £100 to £200 per year from the software that I do sell (not over the net, but programs I write for friends such as trainers for games).

Current Project: Retro Compo. Entry.
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 06:50 Edited at: 4th Apr 2003 06:54
I think you got your money's worth, for free information.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 06:50
if u count other languages like director and actionscripting then tonnes of money before the big I.T. fallout now its mediocre but im waisting my time on my game instead of being infuriated and insulted by art directors who cant cut n paste, let alone produce the required material in the first place.

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 06:59
A little cryptic but..
I like your game concept indi - what I saw - real good graphics.

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 07:37 Edited at: 4th Apr 2003 07:38
You have posed 2 different questions.

How Much Cash Have You Made Programming??? Approximately $600,000
I'm Just Wondering How Much Money People Have Made Programming In Dark Basic... I'm down about $200

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 11:14
hehee Dan (^_^) well we know that DangYankee has been in America waayyy to long. Mmm Thorntons have done Beer Chocolates and other Alcoholic Chocolates for as long as i can remember - i did say either/or but i wouldn't mind both as Thorntons is just the best chocy people in the world (imho)
even thier diabetic stuff is pretty good
:: wonders if there's a thorntons in LA ::

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 17:57 Edited at: 4th Apr 2003 17:58
There is no accounting for taste.... ... blah... blah.... I know of rum chocolate ...., but beer.. yuk. Most the places I've been in the middle east alcohol, is pretty much baned. But that's not to say you can't get some mighty good "who really knows what it is" concoctions. You don't see pink elephants but rather pink camels. And the ways fun camel spiders.

I'll look up Thorntons for their stuff.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 18:48
Maybe I'll invite saddam over here, you know, to kick back and get away from things for a while, so long as he brings some of that fine arab wine... Hehee I bet right now he'd take me up on that if he could, no-one'd suspect hussein to be spending the night on the couch over at danmatsuma's place (well, maybe dang would)..
I LOVE rum chocolate, and most anything alcoholic that's not ouzo.
(and most anything chocolate that's not banana, which is the paradox, as rum comes from banana)
That said, I do like most other anisette-tasting liquors, like sambuca and absinthe mmmmmm yum... it's just that ouzo was my first experience with alcohol, and well, let's just say it tasted better coming up than it did going down

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 19:04
Mmmmm... Rum ... Gggggggg

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 19:18
There's no way to make that sound as good as it does in reality using text raven, but her's my version:

quequequequequekquekquekquek

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 23:40
Re: "Beer Chocolate" - Well if you mean Beer as in "American Beer" (Lager) then eww that'd b gross. However if you meant actual English Beer (Bitter / Ales) Then I have tasted some quite nice ones

Re: Selling things to friends - Well if my friends have worked hard on a project that I think is worthwhile I'll pay them and Vice Versa, I once wrote a book, photocopied and stapled it myself (low budget but cool) and sold over 100 copies locally at £3.50 each and every1 said it was excellent and well worth the asking price (The content, not the shoddy presentation )

Re: "Enterprising Kids" - Hmm near me, a young boy of about 8 broke into the local school, stole a box of staplers and went knocking door to door trying to sell them, does that count? lmao

Re: "How much money etc" - Money made throught programming? Well, more than enough to support myself and my family Through Dark Basic? Umm lol not much at all, but hopefully a lot soon, when Kangaroo2Studio is finally released in stores *crosses fingers and hopes the last 3 years haven't been wasted*

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 23:46
Might have to look into this english beer chococlate, sounds too good to be true ))))))

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 03:18
I hate the taste of beer, personally I enjoy saki, especially plum saki.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 03:19
Mmmm... Pommie Beer (^_^)
hey anyone know why they Aussies call us a small kind of apple?
oh dan ya know, i'm not sure if my ftp does it - but i'll see about recording me doing the homer "Mmmm ... Ggggg" hehee its funny ta hear (^_^)

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 04:56
OK we have WAY to short attention spans! FOCUS!!!

Me, oh wow its hard to count, lets see here, *whips out calculator* hmmm I guess ive made about NOTHING!!! A big whopping $0.00 I hope that will rise someday

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 07:55 Edited at: 5th Apr 2003 07:58
Quote: "OK we have WAY to short attention spans! FOCUS!!!"

What did you say?, I missed that. I believe we were talking about Chocolate filled with beer balls.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 08:23
One thing NOT to try is black jelly beans with wistkey, *shudder* I almost lost it when I tried that.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 11:55
Mmm Blackcurrent Whiskey ...

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 15:46
did you guys have jelly shots in your respective countries? My favourite was the spicy tequila jelly with chilli's --<o o o (drool)

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 20:49
Point set and match

Just look above for how short attention spans we all have!

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 07:10:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 07:10:45