Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DB/P Gallery

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 01:38
Hi,

I've been thinking about setting up a site like the Gallery on the DarkBasic.com site, although with this one you can advertise any game as long as it's made in DB or DBP, unlike the hand picked ones in the DB Gallery. You'd have to host your games unfortunately as it would be too costly for 'us' to provide free hosting for you. If the site goes ahead I will hopefully be partnering with Mike from VapourNet to bring you some low-priced basic hosting packages, just enough for you to host your game/s, and enough bandwidth to allow people to d/l it, this is mainly directed at Angelfire/Tripod etc... users who have limited bandwidth, or for those who don't have money to spend on a normal priced hosting package. The server space will be provided by WavyVirus and a mate of his. You can make a new entry about your game providing download links, a general description of the game, and possibly screenshots. Other users could then try out your game, comment on or review it themselves. There may also be a form for other users to provide a mirror download, in the case they like it so much, that they'd like to host it and help reduce bandwidth use of other sites. The form would simply be a contact email address and details on the game or games they'd like to host. I or any moderators there may be would then be able to pass the file if needed to the user wanting to provide a mirror, and/or get details on where the file is being hosted, which can then be added to the sites database. At the moment I am still in planning stages, as I would not like to work on something that people wouldn't use, and that's the reason for this poll. Please vote, and post any suggestions or questions you have.

Copied from my post on the RGT forums, only due to the fact there's a poll option, so please vote there and if not just state Yes or No here. Again with any questions or suggestions.

http://www.realgametools.net/forums/index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=14434
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 01:46
I think the boards are popularity enough for any game; if you want to present it to a wider audience, then a showcase website may not be the trick, because if you're looking for a good game there wont be much different between a "Dark Basic New Releases board" and "Dark Basic Showcase"

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
Scilynt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 02:03
The showcase on DarkBasic.com only shows a handful of the games that are produced with DarkBasic or Pro. And think of it this way also, if you were an average gamer looking for freeware or non-commerical would you enter a search engine and look for DarkBasic Pro Games or DarkBasic Games, I'm guessing you won't as your an average gamer with proberly little interest in programming, you would type in Freeware games, Fun Games, or something to that effect. So, the showcase site would not just be to pass around us DarkBasic or DarkBasic Pro developers, but anyone wishing to find a game to play.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 02:40
I tried something similar and went back several months on Program Announcements adding games and utilities I found. However I got a poor responce from new submissions and it seemed for all the work I was flogging a dead horse. I've now removed that section from my webpage but can send you the links I collated if you want a headstart.

I don't believe I see anything in your suggestion that would achieve a different result to my effort i'm sorry to say.

Instead I am thinking of soon writing a 'community' section which just covers high quality titles written in any language.

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Scilynt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 03:21
I know of a few attempts to do things like this, but none that have been properly organised. To be honest, I've never heard of you, and therefore not your site or your attempt at this. So far it seems RGT folks are more interested in this than people on here are, but there does seem to be a 'different' style of people here. I'll also decline the offer of your links as I would prefer people to add their own games, demos, betas, alphas etc... Also I think this is a pretty good time to start 1) The Retro comp is almost over, so there will be a flood of games, and 2) DBP is getting to a very stable state, and hopefully more DBP games will start taking over.

'and it seemed for all the work I was flogging a dead horse'
This is way I've posted this info on RGT, here and also the DBDN forum, I can't think atm of any other DB/P related sites, but if you have one and would like to post this on a news page or forums and link to here or the original RGT post, then go ahead.

Although you 2 haven't posted yes or no, I'm guessing both are no, and the results are currently +8 -2.

Cya
Sx2

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 15:21:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 15:21:38