Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Why the Hell!?!?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 00:30
Why do they put 'POWER' buttons on some keyboards for switching your computer off, I mean who the hell switches the computer off with their keyboards. The reason that I come to say this is as I am very annoyed at going to press the F12 key to exit my program and accidentely hitting the POWER key! I have now thankfully got into the habit of saving subconciously every time I run my program, but still it gets rather annoying. Just thought I'd get it off my mind... GRRRR!!!

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 00:45
I hate those too, so much that I simply get a screwdriver and pry off the key.
Even better on my other machine i still have an at keyboard with tanklike keys that still work today, cigarette burns and all, better than my new one with all the stoopid system keys, already the arrow keys are getting crackly... but A keyboard only costs about $5, so why not do the screwdriver thing

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 01:28 Edited at: 5th Apr 2003 01:30
Yeah, or I could just enter the setup when the computer turns on but I don't like to fiddle with that as I might skrew up my whole computer. Unfortunately it's not my keyboard to wreck (its my Dads) and it does look like it may have cost significantly more than 5 quid but I do have a £5 USB keyboard that I used for PS2 YaBasic.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 01:37
Well, I always use the keyboard sleep button to switch off my three computers. A lot handier than having to click over Start & shutdown each time.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 01:51
Using XP?

Right click on desktop, properties, screen saver, power, advanced. You can then tell computer what to do if you press power button on keyboard, i.e. in your case, don't don't shut down.

Simple when you know how.

Gronda, Gronda
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 03:09
my power keys are on the left (god bless Logitech) ... but it brings up the quit menu in any of the windows i'm using.

rather than just shutting down it'll open up the choice "Log Off - Shut Down - Sleep Mode" though more oftenly sleep mode is greyed out, and on XP Log Off is Switch User ... but your get the idea

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 03:14
I got a Dell keybourd, the sleep button is lower than the rest, looking level at it and you can't even see the thing. Not that I ever use it though.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 04:57
Hey I was looking next to F12, and a little over I realized I had a My Computer button- COOL! I only use SLEEP I dont turn my comp off very much (maybe thats why its so screwed up) but anyways,,,, Too bad

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 11:52
my computer tends to run for like a week at a time ... but i've bust the fan on my GeForce recently - did you know as a safety measure when they get too hot they reset the computer?
its bloody annoying doing something and suddenly poof! the system resets, right now have a fan sitting down there blasting into the system with the case off - its a sight and a half to see hehee (^_^)

btw my keyboard DELL too... DELL Cordless iTouch by Logitech its a pretty sweet keyboard, and had to bring it stateside as i know the differences betten the US keyboards is minor but i just don't like working on them - especially with the quote and speach marks

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 13:54
Mine is a 'Genius' keyboard. I'm not running Windows XP, I have 98, the only way to turn it off is in the setup as I said. I'll just stick a yoghurt pot or something over them so that I dont press them .

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 15:19
Go into your computers BIOS and set the shutdown to a 4 second delay.... End of accidents Works on Award, Phoenix, AmiBIOS etc....

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 15:42
Jeez you guys have no sense of fun, i mean the satisfaction you get from destroying modern technology is worth the $5
But curse ps/2, I can't use my AT keys on new machines cos they did away with the din.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 16:03
I may get satisfaction out of defacing various PC accesories with a hack saw (HA HA!!! ) but the satisfaction of not being let near my computer ever again is not so great.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 16:11 Edited at: 5th Apr 2003 16:14
Buy a set of keys of your own, then just unplug your dad's and use your butcherized version... there are many other non critical parts to a computer that can also be destroyed in the name of fun, without damaging the actual workings... I think they should put lcd screens on the main cabinet with a face on there, responsive to verbal abuse, so you can "frighten" your machine by shouting at it, and have it react and say "sorry master, I'm doing the best I can..."
Actually that could be just a little background program in db, you could simply record input and measure volume, if it goes over a certain threshold the face pops up and apologizes, then you have the option of tearing it's face off, or strenly admonishing it to be more careful in future...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 16:38
or you could take that tenner you have in your sock and get a brand spankin' new keyboard without the power button

... i'm told some don't come with the brand spankin' option though which is a shame for those of us who might like that

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 17:17
sorry mistress, I've been bad, i know veeeery bad...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 14:55:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 14:55:35