Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / If they released DGSDK v1.2 compatible with Dev-C++, would you buy it?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 09:54
If they released DGSDK v1.2 compatible with Dev-C++, would you buy it? Hopefully your answers will help in making Lee and Mike decide if they shall spend time and money on this matter.

Now, before this thread get's locked, take a look above (on the previous page), there are no rules for posting, and this is on the topic, therefor, it should not get locked unless there is a good reason.

As for the question, I will.

IMPORTANT! READ THIS!!!!
Before you say that's impossible, think of this, www.devpaks.org has released a DirectX 9 SDK (6mb!) for free. It has everything needed to get DirectX 9 up and running. It may not be easy to convert VC code into true C++ code, but it IS possible. Also this will be more specifically supporting the compiler, meaning it might also be possible to make things with Code::Blocks as well...

NOTE: If this does persuade Lee and Mike, be happy that now you don't have to buy VC, and the download size is much smaller.

I finally have a NEW computer!!!
Windows XP Pro, AMD Athlon 64-BIT Processor, ATI Radeon Graphics, Windows Vista compatable, DirectX 9.0c, 2 Hard Drives, 6 Extra Drives, etc. etc.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 11:21
As was discussed in the other thread, I'd love to see a mingw/dev c++ version of the dgdk, but I think that the priority for TGC is to get it updated and stable before they port it over.

I do think they'd have a larger user base with mingw support because there's plenty of stubborn people like me who don't like using Visual C++

Your signature has been erased by a mod
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 11:46 Edited at: 13th Jul 2006 11:46
Find me info on calling COM from GNU GCC (Dev-C++) and I'll save TGC the trouble of porting it!

Paul.

Home of the Cartography Shop - DarkBASIC Professional map importer
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 15:24
Quote: "www.devpaks.org has released a DirectX 9 SDK (6mb!) for free"

And is that 9.0c?

If so, which version is it based on? June 2006, April 2006, Feb 2006, Dec 2005, Oct 2005, Aug 2005, June 2005, April 2005, Feb 2005, Dec 2004, Oct 2004, Summer 2004 ... and I'm positive that I've missed a few.

So which DX bugs do Lee and Mike need to code around just for Dev-C++? What new ones have been introduced in this Devpak?

Quote: "but it IS possible"

Never said it wasn't ... but reasonable?

It's NOT just a matter of 'compile and it'll work'. If it was, then they would have managed to release a dev-c++ compatible library when they tried the first time!

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 15:55
I spent some considerable time this morning researching the possibility of interfacing the DGDK.NET toolkit into Dev-C++ using COM/OLE Automation. Now I'll say that the information on OLEAutomation support under both GCC and MinGW is scarce to say the least. Unless provided support is available, maybe by using the COleDispatchDriver class, which I don't think it is, then the only other alternative is to use Python. Python apparently provides OLE automation support for embedding COM servers into code. Not sure how though.

Paul.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 08:15
@IanM
DirectX 9.0c

I'll check there myself to show you what version...
Here is the web page, go nuts: http://www.devpaks.org/category.php?category=DirectX

Here is the exact page: http://www.devpaks.org/details.php?devpak=136

The exact page tells you all you need to know.

Here is the home page: http://www.devpaks.org

There you go.

I finally have a NEW computer!!!
Windows XP Pro, AMD Athlon 64-BIT Processor, ATI Radeon Graphics, Windows Vista compatable, DirectX 9.0c, 2 Hard Drives, 6 Extra Drives, etc. etc.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 15:07
That page doesn't answer the question. Each of the releases of DX 9.0c had different bug fixes in - which version is this devpak based on?

The fact that the site doesn't tell you means that Lee and Mike need to guess and hope that they get the right answer ... otherwise you'll be on their back with bug reports.

And as I keep on saying, it's not just a matter of getting DX right - there are compiler and library differences too. What may compile correctly under Visual C++ may not compile under Dev-C++, or worse, may compile but act differently.

I'd much rather they get things working correctly under the compilers that are currently supported first.

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 15:20
IanM, I completely agree. Spoke similiar views about the differences in compiling in the other thread. Had the same problem with the Importer. Just compiling doesn't cut it.

Paul.

Gervais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 16:25
The main goal for now is to get an update so that at a minimum that we can all have the fixes and new functionality that we can find in DBP 6.2 and support for VS2003 and VS2005 then when time permit they may expend to other compiler

And remember there is a new version of DirectX coming too so lots of hard work for TGC there too and I am sure that we all want to have access to that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 19:36:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 19:36:25