Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Violent Darkbasic games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 14:01
Are there any good VIOLENT games/demos/screen shots that have been made using darkbasic? because I was thinking of making one myself and just wanted to see the power and some ideads.
Charlie manson is not the messiah he's a VERY NAUGHTY BOY!!
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 15:16
Although I can't recall any really violent games, and i've not written one myself there are aspects from some stuff i've done which if combined would add to the atmosphere.

I always wanted to write a game where the blood didn't just land on the floor, but splattered onto the players camera view and slowly dripped down... I did this effect ones on one of my Amiga versions of Blood Bowl, but those where early days and it didn't look too great.

I did particle blood effect in Dangerously Hidden, but that was before I understood how fogging affected the particle system so isn't great. My Gettin Shot Up game features no actual blood and guts, but if a character dies near you they say some rather amusing lines such as 'Oh dear, I appear to have lost half my face... urgh' etc.

Other than that, doing some 3d object plains with heart and lung textures on that come flying out of the body as it dies should do the trick.

For real effect though it isn't so much the special effects that make a game seem violent, but the weapon you use to kill the enemies. Take traditional household objects and show them in an application that isn't so innocent, for extra impact use items we normally consider dainty, such as flower stems being used as a garrot...

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 16:00
I have one in the works It's kind of a reaction to working so bloody long on my game for the retro comp, BombJack, which is soo cute it's sickening... Actually maybe I'll put a gore mode in that
I'll let you know when there's some screenies in this thread if it's still around by then

A plastic spoon makes a lot more mess than any knife

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Phonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 16:29
Has anyone seen a game heading for x-box called "Hunter the rekoning"? the violence in that game is sky high.

Charlie manson is not the messiah he's a VERY NAUGHTY BOY!!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 16:41
nope... seen Primal? good game that
also there was a particar DB game i remember which was considerably violent and had alot of obscene language in it (^_^)

but for the life of me i can't remember the soddin' name lol
i'm sure the creator will come forward to take blame

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 23:37
Strutt your Stuff was quite violent, its in one of the old DB galleries at darkbasic.com.

I love that game i can't kill the first boss though...

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 03:42 Edited at: 6th Apr 2003 03:42
thats the one i ment ... just didn't remember the name

[edit-]

for some reason i had the name "who wants to be a million frags" in my head, go knows why either

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 19:50:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 19:50:47