Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How is YOUR project coming?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 23:08 Edited at: 5th Apr 2003 23:37
Hey, I think this thread should be like a users journal. You can all post there saying what the name of your game is, and what you worked on today Ill start

Project: Eternal Destiny
Halbros Productions

Today I did a lot of coding. I fixed up the camera so it appends to ground height better. I placed a dummy object being the player, hid it, then put the camera above that. Now there is camera collision and the camera wont go through the ground.
I also coded in entering/exiting towns. The music changes, and there is a brief text image saying where you are. With this complete, I will be able to easily code in when you are liable to a battle or not. That will either come later today, or tommorow. Eternal Destiny is currently at 716 lines of code, and is coming along rather well.
[EDIT] I just added in some new effects. If you are outside the town, then you are liable to battles. This is only if you have talked to a specific person. So now that random battles are working, the only thing really left to do is hardcode the town stuff (Interaction, Shops etc) Oh ya, and that battle system

Cheers!
RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 23:35
BombKid (based on BombJack)
Well the plaster came off my wrist!!!
Soooo I did everything that was too tedious to do before, or impossible like graphics tablet stuff. It's still pretty sore though so I'm still using the left more, good to be sort of ambidextrous, using the left hand for the mouse and the right on the wacom now...
Wrote (rearranged) some music using a commodore 64 to get a retro sound, can't stand midi..
Touched up some of the characters to get them in size
Ate a lot of smarties and gingernut snap cookies...
What was I saying?
Oh yeah, made an intro screen, level selection routines, made the character do a 'lil dance when he completes a level, modeled the bonus screens and rendered them to avi's, Mucked about with different camera roving routines then decided not to have any 'cos they looked flash but interfered with the gameplay...
Consoled my girlfriend on her grandmother's stroke, showed my bro the game for the first time, argued with him about the flashy camera routines, (he liked them) ate a roast beef, ate a box of chocolate biscuits, drank strong coffee, ate some ginko fortes, fixed bugs in my code too numerous to mention, went for a jog in my asylum pyjamas which are bright green and have 'alfred hospital' written on the back, brought together the various functions I wrote, included my custom atmosphere function so I can start on lighting and fog colors for the different levels later... Posted to these forums a bit, in this half crazed state some of it might not make any sense....
Wrote bomb collect counting routines, currently working on a death sequence...
(((((((((((((())))))))))))))

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 00:42
Project: CannonBalls (based on Bust A Move)
By Me

In the last 2 days I asked about stuff to improve on these forums, so I added a background, I then 'cartoonified' the background. I added smoke from the cannon, and fixed a few bugs with the escape key and name input. I tried out some music and scrapped it, I tried to record some sound effects and failed with the voices, but gained a squeaking sound (me going eeek, speeded up ). I also added an animation of two pirates stabbing each other in the side, its not as high quality as it may sound (1 and 2 frames of animation ).

I am aiming to remark the part of my code that isn't so far so other people may understand my poor quality programming.

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 02:11 Edited at: 6th Apr 2003 02:14
Project: Forum avatar

I made a 3d model of a naked bird and made her my avatar. Gonna put the bones in next (if I can work out how) so I can make her blink when the camera is in her face and have her fly off or something.

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 02:37
you need 3 layers around the top of the eyelid and then 2 on the inside of the eye itself pulling out the later of the inside 2 layers to give her an eyelid which will actually be able to blind animate even with a skeleton.
certainly not an easi task and i'm amused quite alot on how many professionals fail miserably at it (^_^)

so i'm gonna wish you good luck, cause ya gonna need it

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 02:48
No no making the eyelid is a piece of cake, the hard part is i've never done bone animation before and i've no idea how to attach the bones to the model. Up to now i've just done limb animation but it looks pretty naff - i'm trying to learn boning with this model to, well, to learn the better way

Hehe, guess what Raven - we've threadjacked again

*whistles innocently*

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 02:53 Edited at: 6th Apr 2003 02:55
lol... if you've never animated an eyelid before then i'll leave you to figure it out

thats something else amusing to me - people who model something to look nice and real and forget about how it'll react when animated (^_^)
then they wonder why it doesn't looke right ... can't help but kinda laugh at them for a while - well until you get off the floor and decide to help 'em out (^_^)

hey we've not threadjacked - simply threadborrowed

[edit-]
to get this a bit back on topic, i'm currently working on a short tech demo which should be available later tonite (or morning for most of you guys) with full source. Decided to screw the Retro Comp, got more important things to get on with - then i'll just buy the blasted subscription (^_^)
lol the only one who misses out here would be my bro who kinda wanted a GeForce4 Ti ... he's still piss'd that i gave a friend my Quadro cards lol

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 03:37
In a vein effort to stay on topic i'm going to finish writing Hyperbowl tommorow, the fourth and final retro entry for Banshee Studios.

As for the eyelid, I was thinking about just doing a limb animation for it, possibly making four limbs coming from different directions as afterall she isn't human

First though I want to pose her and make her do stuff, so I gotta figure out how to make a bone skeleton thingy and it's pretty hard just working out which menu I should be looking at! This might just be time to look at some tutorials... Darn I hate tutorials.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 03:56
depends what your working in really... but most of the time its just a case of placing and then enveloping the skeletons peice of piss when you realise there's only 2 controls involved for rigging and another 2 for actual animation.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 04:13 Edited at: 6th Apr 2003 06:02
I'm using 3D Studio Max 4, so it's way more complicated than it needs to be

EDIT: WOOOHOOOO Sussed out how boning works Um, time for bed....

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 05:25
FOCUS!!!

Eternal Destiny:
I just recieved pro in the mail, and after an install problem, I finally got it to work. For some reason, Pro doesnt seem to like Mat_Edit matrices. We are currently working on a fix for this.
Tommorow, I dont know what I plan to do. Hopefully I get an email soon about Character FX, so I can start learning how to animate. I guess I will model some more, and try and get some big stuff done.

RPGamer

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 14:17
Project: CannonBalls

I have done the 'ready go' thing and have made some ending music. No game music still. I fixed the cannon to go to the centre gradually like in the game when you press the up key, not immediately, I fixed the name entering completely now (hopefully) and the game is pretty much ready for entering, but some music would REALLY improve it !

Still 2 bugs that I cannot fix, and they are really annoying.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 20:36
Eternal Destiny:

Trying to convert to professional! Man this is annoying! Grrrr Mat_Edit matrices not working! Trying to solve this....Did a UV today, posted in the 3D section with a couple new screenshots.

RPGamer

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 20:47
Project: Succession: The Betrayal

A 3d FP RPG.

Been working on more areas of the world and finished 3 more this weekend. ("Dwarven Mines" and "Riversdale") Also been updating the website, re-modelling and texturing some of the in game models and mucking about with the ingame clouds. Added an INI file to the game and fixed a major problem with loading levels.

We're also currently sorting out the level editor we made for the game so we can import particle fx and put in entities such as ambient sound and portals.

RPGamer: By the way, I really like the look of your Eternal Destiny shots. Its gonna be a good one, I think. You got a demo yet?

GC
http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/
Succession: The Betrayal developer
Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 23:39
Project Creature Tournament
Darkness games

so far a battle engine is well under way just gotta add magic and a win or lose system.

Started on the concept art today and a few creatures up already.

The first tournament i hope will be done this week or during easter.If i can get the saving thingy to worek on time.

Models still have to be modelled.(i like that saying)

Transport system and training system is 80% complete and the first island will be done in mat edit in the next month or so (if the battle engine looks up to srcatch of course)

Thats about it havent done a lot today as been busy takin it easy on the forums.

Darkworlds are all around us
most of us are still half asleep
Current project : Creature tournament
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 01:01
Eternal Destiny:
We are pushing for a demo I just made some changes to the matrix. I added in a new texture to the ground in the town area. Erm thats just about it Been doing lots of other stuff today

Still trying to get Classic to Pro working Check out my post in the Professional forum and help me out! PLEASE!!!

RPGamer

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 01:20
CannonBalls

Finished (for now) and entered to the comp. Its on my site, so anyone can download it but Rich can't seem to download it, I hope my direct upload worked !

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 07:20
Classic to Pro is simple enough... however if you want some real speed outta changing and a simpler setup you'll take you Standard version and then recode it entirely from step 1 using DBpro features

my work is a secwet, so i can't say - but its progress i can report is good

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 08:14
I just had to knock my entry roughly into shape and enter it, in an unfinished (to my mind) state, 'cos I'm under way too much pressure from other things and on top of that I've contracted some horrible flu... My head's a swimming sea of neon explosions but i think I did pretty well considering the following:
Broke my wrist at the start of the comp
Got real sick with a cold
Decided to move out of the flat I shared with my girlfriend.
Hired a removal company
The removal company turned out to be crooked, and I don't know where any of my stuff is, like all my musical instruments, second computer, research, artwork, backup cd's...
My cast came off on friday, but my photoshop installation promptly corrupted, starting with the text function going crazy, so because my install disks are who knows where with those dodgy removals and storage people I can't fix that, and had to use windows paint to do my text, import that to photoshop, but now pshop won't even show any image at all, just a grey screen, I have to work blind, saving to bitmap and opening in paint to view!!
And 3 hours from completeing my rgc entry, I'm feeling sick AGAIN, my brain's gone all cloudy so I just scrambled to concentrate long enough to rar the thing and upload it as is, I really gotta sleep now, but it's my girlfriend's birthday today
heheh, sometimes it seems like everything's against you, but you've really just gotten used to havin' it good

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 10:28
hehee... i feel like days like that are the good days mate

Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 22:23
Project: Creature Tournament
Darkness games

Well since school finished i have completed my character selection thank god it was driving me nuts.

Worked out how the training engine will work so that will be up in approximatly 3 weeks (if the battle system is finished which it probably wont be as a new idea has crept up and im itching to try it out)

Saving is now almost ready just got to finish off the saving engine.

thats about it for today and probably tomorrow i will fine tune the saving thing.(The computer with darkbasic and my games and engines is on the good computer which my sis is playing age of mythology on)

SpaceInvader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 23:20
Space Combat Sim Thingy

Tried and failed to program some basic AI. Developed a loop which loads mission data and creates the neccesary ships/planets. Fixed a few bugs and created a new one. Backed up the program repeatedly.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 01:55
OK, every in-development project at Banshee that has been publicly announced, and our latest ideas...

Project: XI

Terrascape migrated to patch 4 reasonably well but i've taken the decision to re-write the entire engine from fresh (using a lot of copy/paste admittedly) to fully optimise the engine. The new version, XII, will feature a new technological concept based upon the supermarket model - in that once you get something working, duplicate it.

The unique features of the Terrascape series of engines that have unleashed the power of large scale mapping under DB are now being written at every tier of the engine level, it's highly optimised non-redundant code system should allow for an estimated 1,000,000 terrain objects on the map.

I will personally be happy to see 500,000 terrain objects, but to be honest I don't think these numbers are the absolute capacity yet. Until i've got this engine in place, i'm merely guessing. Just expect it to be BIG, and picture the BIG in a very large font, bold, underlined, and stretched slightly larger.

Project Serial: ARMGDN

Well ESB (released as Episode V: Battle for Hoth) is a murmour in my RAM chips now and so Banshee Studios had a board meating tonight at our usual venue, this time it was Nicks turn to drive so I didn't have to worry about my alcohol intake - this meens it was a long meating - although the journey there in an open topped sports car was not so much cool as freezing.

We've started work on project ARMGDN. This is a project being developed to make maximum use out of the new DBPro optimised version of Terrascape currently under development.

ARMGDN is a strategy and combat vehicle simulator. Though we are keaping exact details on this one close to our chest at the moment because it will be a while in development and because of the effort involved in making this we really do want to avoid giving the technical and inspirational ideas out on this project this time.

Project: NFP

Also in the works is doing something with that Fairy model I made currently on my avatar, NFP incidentally stands for Naked Female Pixie (well now you know why we use a serial system for our projects ). NFP will also use the Terrascape system but unlike ARMGDN with it's 1000 poly units, NFP is using 10,000 poly characters and putting no more than 2 onscreen at a time (there may be some small 5,000 poly creatures in the final design for multiple oppononent combat).

NFP is a role playing game and the first Banshee game planned to feature full motion video scenes. It mixes a linear plot in an open environment so you can do things out of order, but you may end up doing more than you need too if you wander too far off the plot or get stuck and have to search for the next clue.

The storyboard is not yet in place, the characters are being modelled first (unusually) because character modelling is still new to us and we aren't sure what we can achieve in terms of our own (in this case my) skill.

Also the technical issue of such high polygon models remains to be explored under Terrascape and from our point of view in DBPro too, we normally work to very low polygon limits. Perhaps nothing will come of this diversionary project, but it could be our next big release.

Project: Deathbowl (Ready for release as: Hyperbowl)

Hyperbowl has been entered to the competition but is not available for download yet (still waiting for web site bandwidth to drop a bit more). The game is not as complete as we wanted and we're confident it will not achieve a prize winning place in the competition.

However we both agreed that the game fell far short of our own expectations therefor we WILL be re-writting this remake. When we do so (certainly after ARMGDN) we are most likely going to rewrite our Amiga-era remake 'Deathbowl' which features teamplay, player deaths and is everything this game should have been - but of course only a 2D Amiga game.

Rest assured as the buck stops here, we're not happy with Hyperbowl and we will be putting it right.

This is as far as we got because it was my night to buy the beer...

Projects: Others; Dead; Miscellaneous

No further news or decisions on SCC (Space Corps Classic) at this time, although I have some ideas i'll be running past Nick at a future time. Galaxies is still on hold for the time being and I have long since aborted DN (Dragons Nest) as an experiment into .bsp that was best left un-attempted.

Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 21:19
Project: Creature Tournament
Darkness games

I have now finished my saving system and i am pleazed with it and it works great. I am now making adjustmunts to my battle system and to other types of engines withen the game. I hope to start work on the training part of the game next week some time and hopfully then you will be able to train up your creature.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 01:04
Project: Succession: The Betrayal

1. Updated Eclipse Webpage.

2. Started work on a program for the game which will enable us to join many X models models together as limbs, then position, rotate and scale them and then animate them. The intention is to have a flexible app for making character models and bringing them into the game (or any DB project for that matter.) At the moment its little more than a really nice menu (windows like - very pro and good looking) but I'm gonna devote a lot of time to it this week if I can stop playing Freelancer.

GC
http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/
Succession: The Betrayal developer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 23:58:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 23:58:44