Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / SARS Virus ++

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you guys think?

Will we all die in few years?

I live in Canada, and few of my friends are on quarantine. I feel pretty sick myself. :-s

Cheers.
There are two types of people in the world: The ones who summon and the ones that create. There is a big difference...
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope not

Do not anticipate the outcome of the engagement, let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment - from "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 23:33
What are the symptoms?

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 23:47
I dunno. Im sick right now, but Im in my own little corner of the world. Safe in my hard plastic bubble of my room

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 02:08 Edited at: 6th Apr 2003 07:43
Man has been in a constant struggle with germs, viruses, ... since the beginning of time. Sometime we win and sometimes we loose. Luckly most just mutant in to a harmless state or our anti bodies counter them. But so far so good for mankind.
Your probally OK , people have survived not everyone who gets it is going to die.

It's not the size of your code but how efficiently you use it!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 02:43
symtoms are the same as for flu ... cause its erm, just a nasty variation on the flu.
somehow i doubt we'll all die - if these was like when the bubonic plague hit, then i'd say theres a bloody good chance alot of people will just drop dead before our bodies learn to adapt.

however they already understand how it is different have are working on a vaccine for it, personally i give 'em about 2-3months to have results, another 2-3 because of beuracracy for testing - then next year no doubt we'll all have a nice new jab to add onto the vaccines we have to take every 5 or so years :: thinks "oh joy" ::

i mean with the quarenteen & vaccine on the way, i wouldn't fret over it ... now if it happens to be a polymorphic virus like HIV - then we're all seriously buggered

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 02:54
I've got a mild case of needlephobia , I really hate to say this, and don't think im racist or anyhting, but alot of things could be avoided if we just stoped people comming into the US. Think about it, racism, desieses, ect.... (athough that will NEVER happen)

As I walk through the vally of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
- Psalms 23:4
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 02:58
Yeah, that'ld end alot of things: culture, new idea, people to blame evertything on...

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 03:03
-but alot of things could be avoided if we just stoped people comming into the US

Heh the US is a good destination...If it'd be that terrible I guess it's in Irak that they'd go...you should feel proud to live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world...

You should also be proud that they aren't ostriches like France,Canada,Germany and such...

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 03:53
blazer you'd have to cut off alot of things to make sure you were 100% safe... so many things most countries wouldn't be able to handle it.

if it was a simple matter of keeping the other races as it were out of the US then i'm sure the Quarenteen would be 100% fool proof. however it isn't because there are literally hundreds of possibly was people could become sick and the fact they're not even sure how it spreads make a quarenteen pretty useless.
you can't look at it as if the US is the ONLY country in the world that could be affected. and so far i've only heard that 1 case outside of China and the Asian subcontinant has been diagnosed with this virus ... and he is in the UK.
but not dead yet, and no other cases which is something to kinda be relieved about

it just one more reason to have the states more paranoid than it already is, if they start on about how saddam or osama has like released this as biological warfare - well then quite frankly we can all safely assume that the whole US government has completely lost it and needs to be put in a white padded room.
thats not to say though could actually stop anyone comming into the country, i mean christ just look at how poor thier security is on thier airplanes and such - you can tell they've beefed up security, but its still possible to get onboard with all kinds of crap you could do damage with.

plus those boarder points are pathetic, because you can't protect the whole boarder the size of the canadian-us one ... i mean damn they can hardly protect the US-Mexico one!! plus all the coasts.
really if you banned people then they'd still find a way to get in and they'd spead the virus before you can do anythnig about it

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 05:03
I dont know how feasable that is Blazer, to quaranteen the whole of America and live in total isolation from the rest of the world would meen America would have to invade and conquer Canada and that just wouldn't be cricket (at least until you've finished in the Middle East).

Additionally America thrithes on it's trade agreements and any quaranteen would meen that Americans can't go out there and compete for trade, you wouldn't be able to ship anything out, or receive goods in. I thought not making money was akin to sacriledge for a Ferengi, er I meen American.

SARS may well have a dramatic impact as a disease, but what is a dramatic impact in modern diseases? 100,000 dead? 250,000 dead? Maybe 1 million? Or even 10 million dead?

That is only 1 large city's worth of dead people. What's more if they are all immigrants into America who die then it wont matter right Blazer? Tell you what mate, why not harvest some into a petrii dish and set it off in Queens, get the 10 million dead out of the way in New York and it's problem solved...

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 06:50 Edited at: 6th Apr 2003 22:25
actarus- Iam not trying to be mean and Iam not PCU so am just going to say it -- Irak IT's IRAQ .Somebody has to tell him, Only your friends will tell. Sorry actarus.
Blazer -- I don't think it's needles thats the real problem. But to say that you have these feelings is a good thing.
I must be in a bad mood,my daughter faints around needles but I lovingly tell the nurse if she passes out .. go for it. Smelling salt works good afterwards.
From SARS to Canadian Bacon "the movie"

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 11:46
I don't fear any virus or biological weapons of mass destruction (please read that sentance out loud in your whiniest vioce so you know my excact view). It all bull crap, West Nile Virus, don't me laugh. It's stupid, I can't believe how many people worry about this stuff. How many people have died from any of the stuff we've talked about, minus HIV? This fear of germs has gone too far, in the words of George Carlin "It's rediculus, and it goes to rediculus lengths. In prison, before they give you a lethal injection, they swab you're arm with alcohol!"

EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 12:57 Edited at: 6th Apr 2003 12:57
The thing to think of is with every virus there is always some people who are immune, so when everyone else is wiped out they will still be here

-EdzUp
Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 14:41
I heard a woman from Manchester went to Singapore and came back with the Sars. That's kinda bad because I live in Manchester...

DarkBASIC Professional is the best programming utility.
8/10 Housewives agree!
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 17:30
-actarus- Iam not trying to be mean and Iam not PCU so am just going to say it -- Irak IT's IRAQ

It's ok you couldn't know in any way that it's how we write it in French and seeing how illiterate some are,I rather keep it French...or frog for you guys

I just love it more with a 'K' like 'Killing'...

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 22:28 Edited at: 6th Apr 2003 22:30
Fair enough, I did forget .Sorry I am a big dummy at times.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 22:48
yeah but Daz if the virus must be transmitted by touch for example then there is slim to no chance you'll get it, unless when she came back she touched like a thousand people ... because with virus like this they'll test everyone you come in contact with before you knew.

they show the name on the news thats on almost 24|7 ... alteast here it is, i'm sure you guys must get some of the more popular channels like CNN CBN BBC News24 etc...

personally i think its a little disturbing that a kid has the veiw that seperatism is the best way to stop problems, but hopefully as he grows up that veiw will change. there are alot of virus that are rampant all over the world that are killing millions, and there's no mass hyteria over HIV or AIDs anymore - but thats probably the biggest killing virus of all time at almost 4million per year worldwide according the Red Cross.
and they're not even close to comming up with a real cure as due to its nature the blasted thing changes its make up as soon as its threatened ... and becuase it wraps itself around the white blood cells its almost impossible to drain all traces or kill the virus in standard means without killing the patient.

its so weird how humans being probably one of the most fragile of creatures on this planet have evolved to the level they have - and its very scarey some of the routes that are being layed out as our possible evolution as it were, as you know that soon Cybernetic Enhancements will be on the market - i don't mean like some silly Sci-Fi movie, i mean the reality of what stage of development we're at is Cyborg enhancements ... with experiements currently being carried out for medical purposes, but as only the richest countries will have these things available (America springs to mind) it'll be a case of the highest bidder will be able to afford to enhance themselves in this fashion.
No doubt be taken up in the same was as plastic surgery, sure some will disapprove but after a decade it'll become standard practise.
With the Internet growing and information flowing more and more freely albeit oftenly wrong, that kind of future is a very worrying one.

do you think that perhaps there is more and more there is out there nowadays that perhaps isn't getting enough attention - suchas Cyrogentics is also a technique not just theoritical but a practise being performed by a small group of individuals... this is happening all over the world too. Alot of Science Fiction is quick quickly and spuratically becomming science fact, suchas Teleportation of Molecules has been made possible by an Australian team of scientists, Atomic Fusion generators are currently being developed in Oxford, Heinberg Plasma weaponry is being developed in Utah. You take your eye off the world for a second and you'll notice that the stupid problems around the world are being overcome in the background by inventions which could give our leader a possible power which is devastating to think about, as that sort of power in the hands of children is bad news.

Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 23:07
Yes, Raven, fear my 13 year old, news reading eyes and the information they gather. Don't be afraid, be very, VERY afraid!

Muahahahahaahha!

C'mon, I said 23 words and a smilie in 2 lines, all I was saying was that it has happened. You go on about evolution, sci-fi innovations and power in children (sounds fun). You mentioned some good movies aswell, Robocop, The Fly and others, and I agree it's getting a bit scarey out there, in the big, wide world, but we're here for you, Raven, chill a little and get back to the important things (namely Dark Basic and helping little n00bs like us).

P.S. I kinda glanced over your post so I might be a little inaccurate, but I hope you have had as much fun reading it as I did typing it!

8/10 Housewives agree!
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 23:47
Hehe, well did anyone see that epidode of I think it was the twilight zone where tis guy who's very rich decides to make his new york apartment perfectly hermetically sealed from the elements, so not even an ant could get in, like an airlock at the front door, spacecraft-like expanding foam in the walls etc?

It's funny, 'cos in the end he's perfectly safe, but goes insane about the sharp corners on his desk, the kitchen benches, etc...

So eventually he's living in this rounded off, padded, gas/insect/virusproof home, and then his mind start's to play tricks on him, he's seeing cockroaches coming out of the sink, and goes so mad he want's to kill himself for releif, but he's made his house sooooo safe that he can't find a single way do do himself in!!!

Jeez, it's the luck of the draw, you could simply get hit by a bloody car, don't worry yourself about anything specific, like virus' or xeno's givin' you germs (*lol*), just have fun with what you've got, and if your moment comes, have something cool to say ready for your dying breath

Oh yeah, has anyone here read "the plague" by albert camus?

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 06:48
i remember one of the outer limits (old outerlimits) where its showing the future and this guy has like this super safe room created for himself, with a super clean apartment cause he hates dirt and bugs. its all nice, white and spotless. a cockroach :: shudders in disgust:: crawls into the apartment form somewhere and he kills it will like a tonne of insect spray... well it goes on an he finds another and kills that... well by the end of the episode theres like a million :: shudders again :: roaches in there and they're everywhere so he pops into his safety bubble room. "Ahh he thinks he's safe" and suddenly they come from every available access area, cover him and burrow into him eating him from the inside out.

made me feel kinda ill and i'm sure it has no relevance here i just wanted to prove you lot will read any old crap

Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 20:46
*NOTE TO SELF*

Go round to Raven's pad with roach farm.

Oh happy days...

8/10 Housewives agree!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 21:02
:: shudders again :: ... i like the UK where there doesn't seem to be any roachs, i heard stories about them like fabled myths lol - but i've never actually seen one in the UK.

ya know its the only thing on this planet that actually makes me physically ill, well apart from gay men who are affectionate - something about a guy comming onto me that make me feel ill, and not that kinda eck i'm gonna be sick ill - that feeling of illness that comes from the bottom of the stomach that you know you ain't gonna throw up on and makes you shudder that you can feel all the way up your spine...

beatles i'm fine with, all those outdoorsie insects i can handle - but there is something about Roachs i find just so repulsive ... maggots too, those stripy ones that people use for bait when fishing - christ they smell like something dead. But thats more cuase that all have that little black shiney point that they have as an eye and they swirm around ... bleck!

its not like most people with spiders or anything, cause i'm not afriad of them ... hell no i can do whatever with these things - they just physically repulse me.
a bit like those creepy letchy guys that try to make time with my girl friends lol but atleast you can hit them

Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 21:15 Edited at: 7th Apr 2003 21:18
I'm like you with the fear thing, except I got an added little fear : girls.

No I'm not gay, they just scare me, I walk past an all girls school, and I hear them screaming in my ears, and giving each other hugs and little kisses when they depart, like it's the last time the're gonna see each other. Something ain't right about that to me...

Not being sexist though, but I heard marriages never last anyway, so..erm...bye..

*Runs away, again*

Oh, and by the way, the UK still rocks! You don't know what you're missing in this wonderful, almost roach-free kingdom! - Ed

8/10 Housewives agree!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 21:33
lol... Mmm the almost-Roach-Free motherland
marriages are cool, and they last too as long as your with someone you actualy love and arn't with cause you feel obligated to be or something.
but there is something just not right about how young girlies act around each other, of course most girls here don't appear to grow outta that. So just i dunno 12yo all the time, if the had the same bodies then perhaps it wouldn't be so bad - but its just sad some 40yo valley girl doing all that screaming craps and crying cause they have to say bye to thier mate in the mall.
i mean christ sake they ain't dieing lol

Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 21:43
Finally, someone to relate to

8/10 Housewives agree!
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 22:03
maggots too, those stripy ones that people use for bait when fishing

Years ago I used to fish for greyling on a river in Wales. I'd spend a few minutes getting a feading frenzy going by chucking in a few hand fulls of maggots. Then I'd put a maggot on my hook and cast it in and throw a handful of maggots in with it. The fish would pounce, the water would splash, bubble, boil - and all that would be left would be my hooked maggot. I would maybe get 1 bite every 30 casts.
So my Dad showed me a trick - you'll like this Raven. The trick was to keep a few maggots in your mouth (under your tongue to prevent swallowing). The maggots in your mouth would wriggle like crazy once they warmed to a certain tempreature. When a maggot was wriggling so much that its hard to keep under your tongue, you quickly take it out of you mouth, put it on your hook, cast it in and chuck in a few loose cold maggots. Result was 3 or 4 bites every 5 casts.
Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 22:15
...Wonderful anecdote there, Flashingblade, now to get my pills to prevent me getting any nightmares through the course of the night

8/10 Housewives agree!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 00:49
oh god ... i think i'm gonna throw up

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 03:52
Lol, ah fisherman stories, gotta love them. Back on topic for a moment, like clock work, the moment I brag that I'm not afraid of germs, I catch a cold. Ah, the irony, how I love it soo. At least I'm still abill to laugh at myself, of course now somethings gonna happen to me where won't be abill to laugh it off, ah the power of the pardox.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 04:33
Hehee, went and visited my girfriend sarah last night, 'twas her birthday
We drank a nice bottle 'o red..
She 'aint seen me for a while and I've caught her sars - perilla.
When we woke up there was a giant praying mantis on the couch, all green and stick creatury. I picked it up and just had to frighten her with it...
Put it on a tree outside and it started licking he morning dew of the leaves..
I'm sick as a dog too and personally I don't care if it's sars, I had a bloody great night last night

*slap* that's gettin' a bit romantic for a thread on a killer virus...

Anyway, the point is (sorta) that alcohol, girls, insects, and yes even virii are cool, although maggots in the mouth is where I'd have to draw the line

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 04:45
damn... something Dan draws the line on - Flashingblade now i have to admire you for being able to outdo dan

i hope it wasn't just you enjoying her present last nite dan
ya know i've been told, if they don't atleast 3 erm strawberries (good save raven ) then it doesn't count as a present. i'm sure thats not a problem for Dan 'mr smooth' Matsuma though hehee

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 05:34
Maybe cover the maggots in dutch chocolate and you'd change my mind...

Well she had to work today, so as dificult as this is in the heat of the moment, I put the strawaberries where you can't see 'em, and there's way more than three

Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 20:38
Maybe maggots aren't so bad when they're dead, and taste of jellybabies. Just a thought...

8/10 Housewives agree!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 20:53 Edited at: 8th Apr 2003 20:58
oh great... now i can't ever eat jellybabies again without that thought my head

[edit-]
(^_^) hehee, storing up the strawberries eh ... i was having some erm late dinner with alex last nite :: hopes feena doesn't find out cause he quite likes his, erm Whipp Cream Dispensor :: - now i think most of our neighbours know she had a good few strawberries last nite - as she wanted to play with my Whipp Cream Dispensor when she got up this mornin' i think she liked the strawberries i gave her alst nite

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 21:29
Yeah late dinner, and midnight snacks, and breakfast, and morning tea and brunch, and lunch andafternoon tea, and dinner hehe, it's amazing how many meals you can fit in when you're a healthy growin' boy

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 22:05
hehee... Mmm... i wouldn't mind a brunch about now

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 22:48
Heheehe italics can be soooo sordid

Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 23:12
MmmmMmmMMMmmm....strawberries....:-Y

8/10 Housewives agree!
Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 23:14
Hmm....the edit's gone bust on that one. I've just tried to edit it but it didn't work. Odd...

8/10 Housewives agree!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 23:45
did you say sorbet? Mmmm... lunchtime sorbet, damn that'd be the best!!

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 00:04
sordid sorbet, even better with some icecream with cherries ...on top, with topping to top it off, I love eating that stuff, right out of the box when it's all melty and sweeet

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 00:40 Edited at: 9th Apr 2003 00:40
... damn i don't know if i should be honei or hungry
ya know i'd love to eat straight from the box, i like to nibble on the raisans before starting with the tasty wafers that have some lovely sweet syrup between them.

hehee, so what are you Dan... a plum or peach guy? hehee

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 00:54
a rumplike a peach from the garden of eden that's just plum puuuurfect

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 00:57
I like to start somewhere between the wafers and the peach, and work up to the raisin, savouring that till last What's that? oh I think the cat needs feeding...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:21
remember the kittie loves her cream... especially when its all thick, creamy and bursting from between the wafers

(lol i wonder how long we'll be allowed to go on with this )

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:25
we're not actually doinganything wrong, it's just that we likes our meat'n potatoes, but really LOVES the dessert!!!
*rotfl*

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:29
yeah, and anyhow the longer the kitty has to wait for it's cream the better it likes it

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:34
oh yeah... and you know they love it when they're clawing the floor
anything to hear them purr with delight.
i think its so cute when it gets spilt and they lap it up

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:43
After all, that's why you get a kitty in the first place, no sense in cryin' over spilt milk as they say...
after all, plenty more wher that came from
*asmpl*

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 21:01:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 21:01:46