Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Disable object zread woes...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 10:59 Edited at: 20th Jul 2006 11:00
So we all know disable object zread is based on the image id of the object (lower ids get drawn behind higher ids), and thanks to LostInThoughts clever idea of using 'pre textured' objects & the get limb texture command, its possible to actually get a NEGATIVE image number. However, ive run into two problem, and im hoping somebody has a creative solution.

1.) What if I decide to load a pre textured model at some point after the main initialization? The pre textured model will have a image id lower than my sky objects, and thus will be drawn BEHIND the sky.

2.) I have a cool perlin clouds system that generates animated clouds via make membock form image. Well make memblock from image WILL NOT WORK with a negative image id, so how am I supposed to texture my sky with this clouds image?

It just seems like the whole zread system is poorly implemented. I hope when the patch comes around we can convince somebody to re evaluate it. If disable object zread was based on the order in which you applied it to your objects, rather than the image id, everything would be so much easier!

All you need is zeal
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 08:33
Anyone have any insight? Best solution I have been able to think of is to just use 'gigantic objects' instead of zdepth. Of course if I do that, I cant use the camera clip plain.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a dll that addresses the issues with zdepth? Or are we gonna have to beg Lee for a fix?

All you need is zeal
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 14:04
Argg so I tried setting things up to use disable zwrite instead, and im still haven trouble. I have a skybox that is the first obejct created (with an id of 1), I disable object z write, yet other objects STILL draw ontop of it! How can that be possible? If a object has an id of 1, and zwrite is disabled, there should be NO WAY anything else can draw behind it right? The results seem very random (some objects are infront of the skybox as they should be, and some are behind it).

Has anyone else had trouble with zwrite? Maybe there is a bug with dark sdk?

All you need is zeal
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 01:27 Edited at: 25th Jul 2006 01:28
RAAAAAAAAWwwwwwrrrr! Zeal MAD!

Heres a project. It loads a simple skybox for object 1, and a simple statue for object 2. Zwrite is disabled on object 1, so it should be drawn first, and everything else should be drawn ONTOP of it right? Wrong, check it out --->

*heres the source.. but I doubt thats the problem

All you need is zeal

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 13:07
While not surprised to see this forum is dead, I don't like to see a living being suffering. I think you have to use zread too.
Not my code, it was generated when the community still was rich:

I do not recommend you those negative numbers, and I think commands work fine "in their way".
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 17:28
Quote: " I think you have to use zread too."

That makes no sense. If zwrite was doing its job, there would be nothing to read anyway. And I CANT use zread, negative numbers jack everything up, and negative numbers cant be avoided if you plan on using pre textured models.

Bottom line, disable object zread is the devil, and disable object zwrite is broken.

All you need is zeal

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-25 12:35:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-25 12:35:03