Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Plattform jumper - Box'd

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 19:02 Edited at: 26th Jul 2006 19:03
Yah, it's a new game I made. It has been lurking around incomplete for a couple of weeks since I didn't have the energy to fix the small things such as tutorials for the level editor, which I know no one will read but it's nice to have made some.
This is also my last game with DarkBasic Classic as I recently bought DarkBasic Pro

Anyway, the game is all about collecting keys that is all around the levels made out of boxes. The trick is not to fall of them and to collect all the keys in under two minutes. Of course, you can get more time if you collect diamonds which there are a couple of in every level and that'll give you 20 more seconds each.

There are nine levels, the first one is easy as hell, the last one is a bit more difficult. But hey, I managed to complete every level, so it's possible
It's also possible to add as many new custom made levels as you like. But that is a little complicated since I first wasn't going to include the oh-so-simple level editor and it didn't had to be user-friendly. But then I did include it...

The controls are something many has found difficult, but personaly, I think it's superb.

Naah, I don't know what more to say. Download it and see what you thing about it, then feel free to comment it

http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen1wr3.jpg

www.godhatessweden.com

My name, Stora_tomtefar, means "big santa claus" in swedish.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 00:28
really like it! The falling down animation is great and the game is fun!

but the music makes me tired

Stora tomtefar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 14:11
Ah, thanks. I'm glad you liked it

(My brother who has made the music kindly sais "It's supposed to be realaxing! Idiot!" )

www.godhatessweden.com

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 00:28
Well it is relaxing!

Great game btw, I got owned by level 4 However it appears that you have used shortcuts for the level editor instead of the actual program, thus my computer cannot find this program.

It was fun to jump like that, I like the shadow

Stora tomtefar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 02:28
Yah, the shortcut. I thought that that might cause some problems, but I took the risk. I guess the URL to the program is wrong? Right? The Editor is in the folder named "Baneditor".

And it was actually ZZZ who gave me the tips on how to make a shadow. Nice, huh?

www.godhatessweden.com

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 01:08 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 01:08
Yeah, how did you make it? I really want to know my game could really use a shadow...

(I hope it's not too complex...)

Stora tomtefar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 03:11
No, it isn't difficult at all.

Here's the image:

And ZZZ himself explained it like this:
"If you want to make a simple shadow, put this texture on a plain and ghost it and set dark ghosting to 1. Then just use raycasting to position the shadow."

www.godhatessweden.com

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 04:59
Thanks, but yeah, I know that much. Just the part about raycasting confused me... How would I do it?

Stora tomtefar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 13:06 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 13:07
Well, about that. I wasn't so sure about what he meant, so I just did a simple "2D math collision". I checked the player's X and Z-position, and if this was inside one of the cube, the shadow was shown, like this:

Understandable?
I'm sure there's easier methods, but as long as it works it's fine

www.godhatessweden.com

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 17:10
Oh I see. Thanks. MY game has multiple levels of height, so that probably won't work for me. I'll figure something out.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 23:20
Love this game, twas really freakin fun and hard. Great job!

Applyby has Flies in his Eyes.
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
That was fun. I didn't like the controls alot, but everything else was great! I also liked the map editor. Good job!

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 17:19 Edited at: 1st Aug 2006 21:02
As a reply to the shadow discussion the way i would think to do it would be by using the intersect object command.

I would use intersect object to find the object that is underneath the player (it returns 0 if there isn't one), then position the shadow using the y coordinates of the object that was returned by intersect object. You can then position the shadow's x and z coordinates by using the players coordinates.

psudocode :

Stora tomtefar : sorry i probably can't run your game so i'm not going to try. My computer had a hard drive crash and i'm working from a thinkpad with a 16mb graphics card

EDIT: I decided to give this game a run on my thinkpad anyway and it runs Beutifuly. I loved the music, and even though i was running it on a laptop i found both control schemes easy to use. One think that you might want to add though is you should make the shadow appear as soon as he hits the corner of the box. It is hard for me to judge when to let go of the jump button because the shadow only appears as he gets near the center of the box, which is a little to late for me.

Anyways, Great Job on the game! Really fun!

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Stora tomtefar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 20:48
@Xenocythe
Thank you. I'm very glad you liked it!

@UFO
Ah, thank you!
No, the controls are something that you hate or love. There's nothing i between ^^

@Zedane
Hmm, yes, that intersect object-command should work. I looked it up in DBP. This game can't be using it though since it's written in DBC.
However, great that you liked it, and that it worked
ABout the shadow: I'm pretty sure it's shown as soon as the player is inside the box's area, so to speak. Are you sure your screen doesn't make it look like that? I'll take a look in the code to see what I can do

www.godhatessweden.com

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 04:36
@Zedane: Intersect object returns a distance, not an object number...

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 05:35
Thanks for catching me sixty squares, i must be forgetting dark basic already (I havn't used it in a month now). Well i guess you can then cheat your way out of it by using intersect object (if i remember correctly its a very fast way of checking distances) and then positioning a basic cube that is hidden at that spot and using a collision system that returns objects. Its cheating, but hey i do it all the time. The superfast speed of intersect object might make up for the time lost moving and checking that collision box.

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 22:45
hey, very funny game, defently(?) worth a replay, some time.
I liked the tut, and the music. Maby some faster music for when player is running out off time, would be better, but this is okay.

easy comes easy goes
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 00:12
I don't really know, but I think that a cloned object of the object wished to use a shadow would be set to 1 Y in size and then coloured black/dark purple or something similiar and then placed under the main object, it would create a shadow look-alike thing.
That object could also be animated along with the main object, and so on....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And so on to the main subject; good work big santa

Det är väl så

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 23:34:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 23:34:04