Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / The Matrix1Utils plugins collection

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 17:02
sorry for not beeing able to respond any sooner - I'm not realy sorting the array based directly on the values it holds - more like the array holds some memory pointers, and I want that batch of pointers in the individual item referred to in an sertain order.
The problem for me is to insert, move the individual structures, and then delete the original entry, rather than just say 'move item X to position Y'
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 18:24
'Delete and insert' together in an array sound very like 'move and update' to me, and that can be done with a single ROTATE ARRAY like so:

It's still up to you to search the array to find the original item you want to delete and where it should be inserted though.

If this isn't anything like you are aiming for, then you need to provide more information on what you are doing and what you want to accomplish.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 01:08
I just downloaded and installed the entire package. I can't wait to get into this a n poke around.

I'm hoping I can make stuff a little easier with this entire suite of add-ons and plug-ins.

I am in the process of rewriting some Think Pascal source (from Macintosh) into DBPro. It works, but it needs more work...

Hopefully, I can get it completely converted, and add some needed stuff that I have requests for. Thanks for this great package.

--If you're looking to upgrade this, please do so! There may be a few bits that are a bit odd to use, but I will see what I can manage.

[/url]
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 19:03
All requests are gratefully received. Now for the bad news ...

You need to update again!

Here are the details for this latest release - every plug-in has been updated in one way or another:
Matrix1Util_01 - 1.1.0.4
- Updated DLL dependency code
- Decrypt/encrypt when loading a file into a bank.
- Do not map to media filenames when mapping a file into a bank.

Matrix1Util_05 - 1.1.0.7
- Added new command set for fast user-level free-lists.

Matrix1Util_07 - 1.1.0.6
- Added missing command CURVE BEZIER

Matrix1Util_12 - 1.1.0.8
- Added new commands & functions to control limb lighting, ambient lighting, fog and ghosting at the limb level.

Matrix1Util_13 - 1.1.0.7
- Updated DLL dependency code

Matrix1Util_14 - 1.1.0.1
* Added function WINDOWS IS 64 BIT

Matrix1Util_18 - 1.1.0.9
- Expanded cull modes available for SET NEW LIMB CULL command.
- Added new functions to retrieve object scale.
- Added new command FIX OBJECT SCALE

Matrix1Util_22 - 1.1.0.11
- Fixed a problem with parameters for DATAFILE DATASTRING function.
- Fixed return value for DATAFILE MEMORY function - now returns number of bytes read.
- Added commands for directory stacking.
- Ensured that files are correctly & cleanly flushed and closed on program shutdown.
- Added new function to get the current string type.

Matrix1Util_23 - 1.1.0.1
- Added 'alpha' versions of the ansi colour functions.
- Added new functions to get colours by name (using the CSS3 standard names).

Matrix1Util_26 - 1.1.0.2
- Empty string can now be used when setting a callback to disable that callback.
- Added a new callback to intercept windows messages for the DBPro window.

Matrix1Util_29 - 1.1.0.2
- Added new commands to load and save simple and UDT arrays to datafiles.

Matrix1Util_31 - 1.1.0.1
- Added command to add the contents of one lookup to another.

Shared code
- Fixed a bug in the internal 'free list' implementation (when the list is empty and trying to return an item to the list).
-- This affects various plug-ins

All
- Standardised initialisation and shutdown code in all plug-ins (the methods I use have changed over time).
- Minor code changes in preparation for a future switch to VS2008.

Here are all the version numbers for plug-ins that were changed only due to standardisation and VC++2008:
Matrix1Util_02 - 1.1.0.8
Matrix1Util_03 - 1.1.0.5
Matrix1Util_04 - 1.1.0.7
Matrix1Util_06 - 1.1.0.1
Matrix1Util_08 - 1.1.0.4
Matrix1Util_09 - 1.1.0.5
Matrix1Util_10 - 1.1.0.3
Matrix1Util_11 - 1.1.0.3
Matrix1Util_15 - 1.1.0.4
Matrix1Util_16 - 1.1.0.7
Matrix1Util_17 - 1.1.0.1
Matrix1Util_19 - 1.1.0.7
Matrix1Util_20 - 1.1.0.9
Matrix1Util_21 - 1.1.0.6
Matrix1Util_24 - 1.1.0.1
Matrix1Util_25 - 1.1.0.1
Matrix1Util_27 - 1.1.0.1
Matrix1Util_28 - 1.1.0.1
Matrix1Util_30 - 1.1.0.2
Matrix1Util_32 - 1.1.0.1
Matrix1Util_33 - 1.0.0.2

There is one command in there that I haven't been able to test personally and I'd be grateful if someone could do this for me as I was kind of coding blind with it - it's the WINDOWS IS 64 BIT() function.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 20:00
Here's an example of loading and saving arrays added in the last release:

As you can see from the code, you load and save arrays via my datafile commands - sorry but the commands LOAD ARRAY and SAVE ARRAY were already taken. Doing it this way also allows you to save multiple arrays of different formats to the same file, rather than having one file per array as DBPro provides by default.

There are several things to note:
- The DBPro saved array format is completely different to the saved array format I've constructed, so you can't save an array with the built-in command and load it using the new commands.
- An array has to be dimensioned before you can load or save the array, even if you give it no elements. This is due to the fact that the array has no 'type' within the runtime until it is dimensioned, and until it has type, there's no way to set up the array with the correct amount of storage. If you try to do this, the plug-in will throw up an error telling you what's wrong.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 21:58
The last release also added another new function callback - you can now intercept the DBPro window messages before DBPro get them, take some action on the message, then either decide to allow the message to continue to be delivered to DBPro, or stopped.

Here's an example that captures the close message that is caused when the close icon is clicked:

Other things you could do include:
Capture all keypresses to provide a customised input system.
Capture the windows move message to stop the window being moved, or to limit its movement to a fixed area.
Capture resize messages to stop the window being resized.

A possible future enhancement is the interception of messages from other 'windows' related to your program, so make sure that you use the HWND parameter in your function to confirm you are getting messages for the window you think you are (for instance, use the GET DBPRO WINDOW() function).

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "you can now intercept the DBPro window messages before DBPro get them, take some action on the message, then either decide to allow the message to continue to be delivered to DBPro, or stopped."

When a DBPro window is being dragged it does not run. This is very bad if that user is the host of a multiplayer game and throws off timing routines. Is this something that can be worked around with this new addition?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 22:32
Sorry, no. There's no way around that problem with my plug-ins that I'm aware of.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 00:48 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2010 00:51
@ IanM,

This is brilliant. Thanks v much.

The load and save array with UDT functionality is excellent.

Assuming cant do UDTs on UDTs (etc) on arrays or multi dimensional yet? Just checking. Still amazingly useful.

thanks again

[edit]

Fix Object Scale - does it set an object of whatever size to 1.0?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 14:53
The save/load commands will handle UDT's of any complexity, and arrays of any number of dimensions (up to DBPro's limit of 9 dimensions).

The fix object scale will apply the scaling that has been applied to the object and its limbs to the limb meshes and limb offsets, then it will reset all the scales back to 100% at all levels.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 20:00
@ IanM,

Wow. That is fantastic. That could be a dll all in itself. For the lazy among us, like me, this makes any number of things so much easier...

Thanks again,

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 21:55 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2010 22:00
@ IanM,

Why is there a difference between:-

and

why cant you save array to datafile MyStringArray(), 1 ? is it because the array in the second one has strings in it?

how would you save say a multi dimensional array LandsArray(10,10)

where it was dimmed as an array as type Landy

and Landy carried a number of strings and integers?

I suppose the easiest thing would be if you could just post some code about how to save and load a multi dimensional array with a udt with perhaps a/some udts on that where within the udts there were some strings? (no need to post in the code any of the data, just so dumkopfs like me get the idea)?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 22:09 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2010 22:15
No, don't read so much into the code
Firstly, that code was mostly put together from the pieces of code I used to test the new functionality.

Every time I add a new array command, and if it's appropriate, I also add an equivalent to do the same for an array pointer too. That's the only reason I had for using the arrayptr versions of the commands - you don't have to use them at all.

The only reason that I picked strings in particular was because strings are handled slightly differently than straight numbers in DBPro and I wanted to specifically test for those to make sure they were handled correctly.

[EDIT]
Oops, missed most of your questions

You don't need to do anything special to save a multi-dimensional array, whether it contains a UDT or a single data type:

When you load it, you do exactly the same (except open to read and load array) and the array will be recreated in all its dimensions - you don't even need to presize it or specify the dimensions:

See? You don't need to do anything different at all.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 22:13
@ IanM,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Phew. That's a relief. I'm off to put those commands through their paces.

These load and save array to/from datafile commands deserve mention in the next newsletter...

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 09:05
@ IanM,

What if I save an array using these commands in one program and then load the same array in another program - what happens to the UDTs associated with the array? Do I have to do the type command for the udts in that second program too before I load in the array or does the load command load in the relevant udts as well as the array?

Just occurred to me, sorry.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 14:29
Quote: "Do I have to do the type command for the udts in that second program too"

Yes.
The UDT's have to have the same internal size and layout for you to load them. That's part of the reason why the arrays have to be dimensioned before you can load data into them.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 19:12
Does this need to be updated too?

Quote: "Copyright © Ian Mold - Matrix1 Software 2006 - 2008"
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 21:27
Nope:
Quote: "Normal protection provided by the Berne Convention is life of the author plus fifty years from death ... Under UK copyright law for example, the copyright duration is typically 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies."

That basically means that it doesn't matter what year I put in the notices, I've simply got 50 or 70 years of extra copyright protection after I die.

Is that a brain-dead law or what?

Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2010 16:02
Hi Ian,

I'm running WinXP Professional 64 bit service pack 2 here, and the Windows Is 64 Bit () command is returning 0.

Cheers,
Wilf
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2010 18:43
Thanks for checking it out for me.
Do you mind if I use you as a guinea-pig to get that function right?

Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2010 08:59
No problem, but I'll be away from the 64bit machine until next Monday.

Happy to help in any way!
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2010 11:09
Hey IanM,

I was working on a project yesterday and I needed a card shuffling routine. I noticed you don't have a RANDOMIZE ARRAY function. Could this possibly be implemented in a future release as I can see its useful potential.

There is no rush however as I quickly coded my own shuffling routine in DBP but i'm pretty sure its much more trivial in c++

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2010 14:25
Two reasons I've not provided that:
- What random number generator should I use (the DBPro one, or one of mine ... and which one of those)?
- It's easy to code your own

and one reason that I should:
- Despite it being easy, most people code it incorrectly, mucking up the final distribution.

Here's a correct solution to the problem:

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2010 13:16
Yep, I used the same algorithm for my shuffling routine.
My project has now moved on to the GDK, which means I can't use you're great DLLS

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Sakuya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2010 07:31
Hi

I just tested the Windows is 64 Bit() on a Windows 7 64 Bit
and it returned 0 as result
freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2010 20:03
Hi Ian,

I'd like to use your sort array command instead of my crude out-of-place array sort. Yours is only 2000x faster . . .

But I need to know for sure, is your sorting algorithm stable (as in , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Stable_sorts)?

Also, does this command work on float fields?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2010 20:52
Using the default setting, sorting is not stable, however you can switch to using the merge sort on your array which is.

http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk/Matrix1Utils_Help/Matrix1Util_29/set_array_sort.html

Or you can stay with the faster introsort and include an extra field to include last in your list of fields to sort to maintain the stability.

All of DBPro's standard types are accepted and treated correctly, except see the sort command for 'special' rules on strings, which I may also make optional at some point.

freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2010 21:16
That really helps, thanks!

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 05:22
Any known issues with the Hex to Decimal command?

I was using it today in my program and it seems to have caused the subroutine that it was being used in to lose it's pointer to it's return point. As soon as it hit the return statement it crashes to the "Your program has an error and must be shut down... blah, blah..." message box.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quick question on your draw to commands.
Quote: "Drawable = IMAGE ALLOWS RENDER ( Image Number )"

What makes an image drawable? I am making a minimap of sorts for my game. I take the map, make an image from it, resize it to a standard size (make a bitmap, make a sprite, resize sprite, paste sprite, get image) and now I want to paste other images (start location, home location) to this new image and I am being told the image is not a render target.

If you need more detail on how the image is created let me know.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2010 12:33
@GIDustin
Images can only be drawn to if created using 'set camera to image' or the command from IanM's plugin.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 06:55 Edited at: 1st Apr 2010 06:55
Found a way around the renderable image problem:

May not be pretty, but it works.... /shrug

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 05:13 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2010 05:14
Hey Ian, I tried using your File IO plugin for file i/o bu whenever I use datafile datastring or datafile string$ the plugin crashes with a generic "This program has encountered a problem and needs to close" type of error. The module name in the upper right being your .dll.

The code was:

Layout.txt is just a plain text file with 0's and 1's. Any insight?

Edit:My DBPro version is 7.4 and I'm using your latest update.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 14:55
Perhaps you could send me a copy of the layout.txt file, as I can't currently reproduce your problem.

@GIDustin,
Quote: "make a bitmap, make a sprite, resize sprite, paste sprite, get image"

Make a renderable image, make a sprite, resize a sprite, paste a sprite. Job done.

Basically, the original point of renderable images was to avoid those slow GET IMAGE commands.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 19:52
Here it is:

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 21:13
Can you send or upload the actual file. I have no problems with the data, so the problem may be with line endings or 'invisible' characters.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 00:57
It's attached to this post.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 01:35 Edited at: 5th Apr 2010 01:41
Ian:

Your "find free memblock()" command returns a value from 1-256 according to help files, but only 1-255 are valid. On a few instances it has returned 256 and crashes my game. I can avoid it by using the optional parameters and setting my own limits, but I thought you should know.

Thanks!

Edit: Been trying to reproduce the problem but I cant seem to... If I ever had memblock commands fail, I just re-compile the same project and it goes away. Not sure how your commands randomly pick numbers, but my test project finds free memblocks in the exact same order every time I compile/run it... Not sure how a 256 got in the list earlier...

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 02:48
As far as I can tell, that function works correctly.

Here I get 256 memblocks created using FIND FREE MEMBLOCK, then try and allocate one more - the report should be that all memblocks were created correctly:

In actual fact, it's OK to create a memblock with an ID of 257 too, which that function doesn't take account of.

@Dar13,
Sorry, still can't reproduce the problem.

Here's the code I used with your file:

About the only thing that I can think of is that the correct runtime libraries may not be included on your system. Check in your windows System32 directory for the files msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll - if one or both are not there, then you should download the last link in the first post of this thread and extract the contents of the zip file into your system32 directory.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 02:05
I just retested it and it worked. I guess my computer just needed a reboot. Thanks for all the help.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 00:20 Edited at: 19th Apr 2010 20:52
I had found one of your .dll's that was intended to load files on a seprate thread. But it doesn't work with the newer versions of DBP. Is it included in this pack? or gone?

swis
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Yet another request if you have the time. Is there any way to see your current location within a file when using "open to read"? Is this something that you could gain access to? Like a "position in file <FileNum>".

I would be using it when loading a large map file to display the load percent to the user. If the file was simply bytes and longs you could easily calculate it, but there are strings and memblocks as well which make it only slightly more difficult. Access to the variable that holds this information anyway would alleviate some time and calculations.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2010 14:56
Did you mean OPEN TO READ, or OPEN DATAFILE TO READ?

If it's the first, then no, there's no way to know your current file position within DBPro's file handling.

If it's the second, then yes, naturally I'd include something like that within my own file handling.

If you are using DBPro's built-in file handling, I'd suggest switching over to using mine instead. It's a lot faster, a more complete implementation, and it's not difficult to switch either.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
I was using OPEN TO READ. Your datafile commands look like they could work, although there are some missing commands there too. I am using WRITE MEMBLOCK and READ MEMBLOCK to add images/sounds into the file as well. Is this a possible addon for later? I could rewrite the routine to just save the memblock size, and then save byte-by-byte too I suppose...

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2010 19:47
The missing commands are due to me ducking some of the issues involved and providing a catch-all command. You can implement memblock and memory bank saving using the WRITE DATAFILE MEMORY and DATAFILE MEMORY commands.

Currently you could save memblocks, banks and memory addresses, and for memblocks and banks you could save partial data from them, so that's why I ducked the issue and just provided the basic tool of memory addresses.

JohnBarbarossa
Years of Service
User Offline
Ian,

Is it correct that not all the keyword (for syntax highlighting) and helpfiles are updated?

I have succesfully implemented the new feature to capture the close button (many thanks for that btw!), but the commands don't light up in the editor nor are there any helpfiles for them.

John
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 15:04
If there are missing keywords or helpfiles then that's a bug. Refresh your keyword list in the editor, and if the problem still occurs, let me know which particular commands/function are missing and I'll fix it in the next release.

JohnBarbarossa
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't know I had to use rebuild keywords. In previous updates the editor would automatically update the keywords on startup. I noticed that it did not do this this time.

I found the new commands for saving UDT arrays in the helpfiles but not the commands for capturing windows messages (but I guess now I didn't know where to look for them, and that they were probably already there).

I used rebuild keywords and everything is ok now.
Thanks!

John
Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 16:58
I wouldn't call it a bug, but it appears that UNQUOTE$() does not remove left/right (open/close) double quotes, only neutral double quotes.

Spritzen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 17:06 Edited at: 26th Apr 2010 17:07
I'm using your very helpful bit of code I found in the DBPro section to allow me to link vectors into my UDT

However, I now get an error exiting the program. The error is nothing specific from what I can tell, helpful as always. But I've actually commented out every piece of my code to leave me with just this function to cause it.

Is this anything known? I'm presuming it's something to do with Find Free Vector()?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 07:15:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 07:15:17