Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / The Matrix1Utils plugins collection

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ian thanks for adding those ZONE commands, now it is much easier for me to work with sound containers, portal zones etc.

This is one of the best free third party extensions out there available for DarkBASIC Professional. Cheers!

AMD Sempron 1.8+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP Pro SP2, DirectX 9.0c (Feb2007), DBPro 6.6
http://www.myspace.com/producerolby
Coin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2007 12:54
One command - perhaps I should say two - that I would find useful occasionally is SWAP. This already exists for arrays, but commands like :
SWAP FirstValue,SecondValue
SWAP FirstString$,SecondString$
...can be handy, too.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2007 21:26
Unfortunately, DBPro doesn't have pointers to variables, or variable references, so it's not possible to implement a variable swap in a plug-in (aside: It is possible to swap the contents of two strings, but only if they are exactly the same size).

If you do need a swap function, then you can install the DBPro preprocessor by D Man (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=89899&b=5) and use this code:

Coin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 02:48
Oh, I see. However, I think I'd prefer to keep it simple with a function that uses global variables.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 03:36 Edited at: 25th Apr 2007 05:41
Hey, I'm loving this library! There's a couple issues though. I'm trying to use 2d zones for collision. Can they accept floats? The ZONE function never seems to return a number..

Secondly, fast len() gives me an error.

Quote: ""Could not determine parameter type of 'FAST LEN(bstring$)' at line 533."

That is my line.

Lastly, the worst of all. I get this error every time I compile any program now. Whether it uses your functions or not. (The program still runs, but I get this error before the program runs, and I lose the line I'm on in the IDE >.< )

Quote: "Duplicate POKE BYTE in Matrix1Util_04.dll and Matrix1Utility.dll! Command in 'Matrix1Util_04.dll' command-table unrecognized (POKE BYTE%DB%Poke_byte%Address, Byte)
Duplicate MIN$ in Matrix1Util07.dll and Matrix1Utility.dll!
Command in 'Matrix1Util_07."

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 10:07 Edited at: 25th Apr 2007 15:11
fast len works for me:

I'm also sure that I said
Quote: "If you have the original Matrix1Utility and/or the Matrix1Extend1 plug-ins, then you'll need to delete them before starting up DBPro."
in my first post Just remove any of those two plug-ins and those 'duplicate' errors will go away.

[EDIT]The zone commands are currently based on integers - I think they'd be better if they were based on floats, so that's what will be in the next release.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 16:07
Quote: "If you have the original Matrix1Utility and/or the Matrix1Extend1 plug-ins, then you'll need to delete them before starting up DBPro"

I was just thinking this morning that that might have been the problem.. I totally don't remember installing them, but meh.. Shoulda checked... Thanks.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2007 05:50
Yep, that cleared it up nicely...

So anyways, I don't wanna rush ya or anything, but is there a chance the zones will be updated shortly, as I'm looking soon to deal with collision, and I'd love to use this lib if it'll use floats, rather than some other solution..

This way I can handle collision and true zones all using the same functions...

Thanks

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2007 22:20
I've attached a new set to this post.

Modifications:
Matrix1Util_07
- INTVAL returns a double integer now.
- Added double integer variants of many other functions.

Matrix1Util_16
- Internal changes for minor speed increases ... not that it matters much - this is already the fastest string handling for DBPro

Matrix1Util_21
- Changed zones to use float ranges instead of integers.
- Fixed Zone Exists function - was off by one.
- Corrected string resource for Zone Exists.

Does that help?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2007 01:54
You're my hero

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 20:15
Idea for new function:
Now that you have both array pointers and function pointers working, could you write a function to sort an array with a function. So say I had a function called compare:

And say I wanted to sort an array of integers using this function, you could write a command to sort an array, with one parameter being a pointer to the function I want to use to sort it.

If the function returns -1 then A should be higher up than B.
If the function returns 1 then B should be higher up than A.
If the function returns 0 then their order should be left alone.

sort array with function myarray(0),<pointer to compare function>

It should work for any type including custom types as well though

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 21:28
I have been looking for a while to add improvements to the array plug-in so that you can sort on different fields of types within the array - I wanted to be able to provide a completely automatic mechanism where you just specify a field number. Unfortunately, at runtime, there's no information that you can get hold of that tells you how the arrays type is formatted.

Doing it this way makes it the coders problem instead (which is bad) but allows them total control (which is good), and should be easy to plug into the code I already have (which is fabulous).

I'll create a new copy of the source for arrays from source control and have a play about with it. Thanks for the idea

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 22:41
lol, I'll be waiting for the update

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 12:18
Thanks again, Mr M, I've been using your Dlls for many years now.

I've been talking with another forum member about a project which uses your file/memory bank / mutex system, but I've taken far too much of his time. So I wonder if you have the answers I need.

Basically, he's using one of the above to create a GUI system in VB, and communicate with DB via some common interface. It sounds like both apps are reading/writing the same area of file/memory in order to stay synchronised. Any ideas on how you would achieve the communication part of that system?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 13:00
Quote: "....but I've taken far too much of his time."

Don't worry about it! I'm glad to help!

I am putting something together for you right now.
As a start, have a look at this thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=68687&b=1
That is where I got started. Compliments to Mr. Jasuk70

The biggest difference is that instead of using the commands:
OPEN FILE MAP from the Enhancement pack, you use MAP SHARED MEM TO BANK from IanM's great plugins

That should get you started!

If you have ANY questions, feel free to ask.

-Ron

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 15:44
Can we see what you come up with at the end?

You can also do this kind of thing with sockets - it can be a little slower, but you remove all issues with synchronisation. It may be worth looking into with one of the TCP/IP plug-ins available.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 16:11
Quote: "Can we see what you come up with at the end?"

I'll put a sample together and show it here. The results are very nice. I am in the process of converting my character creator application to use this method instead of using BlueGUI. Nothing really against BlueGUI, I still use it alot for simpler things. Using VB for GUI development offers a lot of advantages though. The graphical interface is SO MUCH NICER to work with and the control customization is awesome. It is a bit of work to get things talking back and forth correctly, but the results are definately worth it!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 17:36 Edited at: 17th May 2007 17:37
Step 1 achieved - My app inside a VB App This is just the template app from Jasuk70 at the moment. Things aren't talking yet, I need to replace the file map commands and take it from there. Then, it's a matter of converting my GUI stuff. Looking forward to it!

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 19:28
As this is getting somewhat off-topic, and Jasuk70's thread is closed, I have created a new thread here to discuss, all of your thoughts are welcome and highly appreciated!

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106475&b=1

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 20:37 Edited at: 29th May 2007 20:39
Hi Ian,
I'm loving your collection of plug-ins and would be quite lost without them. padLeft$() and padRight$() are an absolute godsend!

I have only just noticed the update that includes the Zone commands but I have been having a look at them and they look incredibly useful. So, thank you for the plug-ins and thank you for the updates.

When you are providing such a useful product for no return, I find it difficult to ask anything from you but I do have a request and as the saying goes: If you don't ask, you don't get. So here goes ....

If there are two or more zones occupying the same space. When using the Zone command, it will only return the lowest number of zone that the co-ordinate lies in.
Would it be possible to change the Zone command behave in a similar fashion to the Object Collision command?

Obviously the 2D and 3D aspects would have to be separated because of the optional parameter. So, instead of changing the Zone command, perhaps you could add these two commands:
return integer = Zone2D(x, y, ZoneNo)
return integer = Zone3D(x, y, z, ZoneNo)

Which would return zero if the co-ordinates were outside the zone and one if inside. If ZoneNo was zero then the commands would return the first zone number that the co-ordinates lies in (as it does now).

I hope that all makes sense.

Thanks for listening and thanks again for the plug-ins. I understand if you can't (or won't) do this, considering the price. However, it isn't much I know but if you do, I will turn this into a real one at the con.

Thanks

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 23:12
Sure - neither of those will cause any problems.

Since I got the mailback from your post I've been looking at the commands provided in that plug-in and looking at what else can be usefully added without being frivolous. I'm thinking about adding a function so you can determine whether a zone is 2D or 3D, and adding a SET/GET ZONE TYPE pair of commands so you can set a user-defined number against a zone too.

Apart from those 5 functions/commands and a little internal reorganisation, that's what I'll aim for.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 07:48
Thanks Ian. You are a star!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 23:40
Quick question about file banks...you can WRITE BANK FLOAT and WRITE BANK INTEGER, and obviously get BANK FLOAT and get BANK INTEGER.
Does anyone know what the VB.net equivalents are? There only seems to be SharedMemory.getByte, SharedMemory.SetByte, and SharedMemory.ToString - no Singles or Integers

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 01:11
If the SetByte method takes an offset then perhaps you can use the marshal/convert namespaces to convert an integer/float into an array of bytes and back again.

Get the new DarkBasic Professional IDE for only $19.99/~£9.85
Http://synergyide.thegamecreators.com
Http://www.digitalzenith.net
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 01:43
The SetByte does take an offset, but I have no clue what you said after that!

Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 13:11 Edited at: 5th Jun 2007 13:34
So I'm pretty bummed out. I downloaded the dll's last week and they are amazing. I especially like the error reporting dll. I used it in my code a lot and it worked fine (I was currently using xp). My hard drive went out (and i had just backed up all my stuff thank god ) and I bought a new computer with vista. I ran some of my older programs, they all ran fine. I tried my current project and it gave me an error. I deleted all the lines with the report error function and it worked. Anyway, long story short, that dll, and that one only as far as i know (tested d3d, worked fine) doesn't work on vista. Maybe its just my setup but here's the screenshot of the error when I used the function report error.

link to screenshot
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/MasonCook/re_screen.jpg

Just letting you know. Hopefully its something that I just need to download because I already miss that dll I figure the problem is that either my machine is missing that dll it requires, or for some weird reason, vista doesn't come with it.

Getting Vista to work error free..... Vista is Hell. (3 in the morning still fixing a few bugs with explorer..)

Edit: Just ripped the dll msvcr71.dll from an old xp computer and it runs fine. I'm guessing not too many vista installations come with that dll for some weird reason.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 12:41 Edited at: 9th Jun 2007 12:41
Quote: "I've been looking at the commands provided in that plug-in and looking at what else can be usefully added "

I'm working on a tile based game (3d plains) at the moment and I have found it easier to generate all of the tiles that may be needed and then instance them as required. If any of the originals aren't needed in the current level then I delete them. It is easy enough to work out if they have been instanced but since you are looking at other commands that may be useful, can I suggest Object Has Instance and Object Has Clone?

Thanks

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 14:09
How about allowing you to get a count of the number of clones/instances each object has instead? I'd need to keep a count anyway to know if they have any.

It should only take a short time to add that kind of functionality. I'll see if I can package up all of the latest modifications with this one and release them later today.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 14:22
Fabulous!

Thank you very much

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 01:24
Here's the latest release:

Release 20070609
Matrix1Util_01 1.0.0.4
Modified all forms of MAKE BANK FROM FILE and MAP FILE TO BANK
to work with included media. Did not do the same for MAKE FILE FROM BANK.
Matrix1Util_19 1.0.0.3
Maintain a count of clones against each object (increment on creation, decrement on deletion)
Maintain a count of instances against each object (increment on creation, decrement on deletion)
Add 2 new function to get counts of clones/instances an object has
(OBJECT INSTANCED COUNT/OBJECT CLONED COUNT).
Matrix1Util_21 1.0.0.3
Rewrite of internals.
Added error checking when dealing with zones that do not exist.
Added 2 new functions (ZONE 2D/ZONE 3D) to check if a point is in a specific zone.
Added 2 new functions (SET ZONE TYPE/GET ZONE TYPE) to set/get a user-specified zone type.
Added 1 new function (ZONE IS 3D) to determine if a zone is 3D

Apart from the changes to the memory bank plug-in, all of these changes are the fault of Scraggle

Attachments

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 22:06
Quote: "all of these changes are the fault of Scraggle"

I can only apologise

Seriously though, thanks again Ian. I have got a lot of 3rd party plugins installed (free ones & paid for ones) but yours is the only one I use in every project.

Thanks

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 00:55
Hi IanM.
Your Matrix utils set is really cool.
I'd like to add support for it in PurePLUGIN and I'd like to know if you agree ?
That mean that PurePLUGIN user can call your plugin directly from their Plugin DLL...

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Odyssey-Creators - X-Quad Editor - 3DMapEditor
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 15:17
I've no problem with that - Help yourself.

Xolatron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 18:13
Thanks for all the work, IanM! I decided today that this seemed too useful to pass up, so I downloaded it and replaced my string functions and DBpro's built in ones in my current project with your versions. The app's start-up time was reduced to less than half of its previous time, and I wasn't even using (in my opinion) very many string functions!

-Xol

FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
hi , first of all : thanks !!!

I have this function:

so , if you call parser("*One*Two*Three," , "*",2)
it will return "Two" . ok , it works fine with Matrix1Utility.dll
with date 23/12/2003 (i think that in other parts of the world its 12/23/2003).

ive downloaded your latest collection of plugins , and replaced this Matrix1Utility.dll with the Matrix1Util_16.dll.

And the function no longer works , i get this message_
Runtime Error 110 - Only Positive Numbers are allowed at line 'xxxx'
and it crashes.

i know that i can replace my function with the new ones on the collection , but ... i want to know why works with a such a older version and it fails with the new ones.

just that
Hey ,thaks you very much for all your work , and specially thanks for the code on the codebase about pathfinding
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 03:36
Quote: "i want to know why works with a such a older version and it fails with the new ones."

Easy. It's a bug in your code that was hidden by a bug in the original plug-in. Change your loop to start at 1 instead of zero and it works just fine. Character positions cannot be less than one.

As the splitting of delimited strings is something that is needed a lot, I added a few newer commands to do the work:

FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks, i will replace my function with the new ones .
Thanks mate.
Im from argentina , BUT it think that 'mate' its something good not ?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 23:39
Yes it is.

Anyway, it's a little later than I wanted, but here's the latest update. Only bug-fixes and help improvements I'm afraid - the plug-in I wanted to include in this release got a little out of control code-wise, so I've given up on it for now.

Here is the modification list:
Release 20070703
Help
- Change formatting on the command help.
- Added plug-in description and categories to the index pages.

Matrix1Util_04 1.0.0.3
- Added 4 cast operators 'double integer <-> double float' and 'dword <-> float'.
- Corrected help for all of the PEEK functions.

Matrix1Util_05 1.0.0.3
- Added FIND FREE VECTOR functions

Matrix1Util_07 1.0.0.5
- Correction to all of the Wrap & Clamp functions - incorrect sorting of incoming arguments.
- Correction to Wrap & Clamp resource strings ... they were a mess!
- Added string & number conversion function for bases 2 to 36.

Matrix1Util_16 1.0.0.5
- Added FIND CHAR functions.
- Added GET SPLIT DELIMITER$ function to retrieve the delimiters of each split word.
- Replaced all occurrences of strchr with a bit-array for fast char lookup.
- Reorganisation of the split string functionality to aid future modifications.
- Amended all FAST routines to avoid unnecessary character accesses, so they are even faster.

Matrix1Util_17 1.0.0.3
- Added 64 bit shift/rotate operations.
- Added 32 bit rotate operations (32 bit shift is already available as << and >> operators).
- Added functions to find the first/last of the set/clear bits in a bitset.

The help pages look a lot nicer, the string functions got a little faster (not that they weren't the fastest available for DBPro already ), added some number conversion functions for different bases, and added a few more 64-bit operations.

So, it's time to update!

Attachments

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 23:50
Here's the latest HelpGen program that I used to generate the help files (if anyone is interested) - the only real changes were on the 'category' output to the HTML files.

I've included the actual help files that I've used to, so you can see what the input needs to be like.

Attachments

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 20:49 Edited at: 5th Jul 2007 20:00
Could you please add boolean = VECTOR EXISTS( vector number ) command? I see you can check which vectors are used and which are not but DBPro is missing an EXISTENCE check command for vectors by default. Thanks.

PentiumIV 1.60GHz, 256MB, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB, AC'97, WinXP Pro SP2, DirectX 9.0c (Feb2007), DBPro 6.6b
http://www.olby.times.lv
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 00:12
Sure. It'll be in the next release.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks.

PentiumIV 1.60GHz, 256MB, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB, AC'97, WinXP Pro SP2, DirectX 9.0c (Feb2007), DBPro 6.6b
http://www.olby.times.lv
Xolatron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 17:57
Thanks for the update

Unfortunately, I found a bug in fast lower$() (and maybe some of the other fast string commands). Thankfully you've got everything split into separate dlls, so I just reverted to the old Matrix1Util_16 1.0.0.5 (from the previous update - the file in this July 3 update calls itself 1.0.0.6)

Here's a demonstration of the bug, and I hope you can fix it :

my computer starts printing 'l' instead of 'listbox' after the first two calls of 'fast lower$()'

Thanks,

-Xol

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 19:25
That's bad

... Here's the fixed DLL (1.0.0.7) with fast lower$ and fast upper$ fixed.

Attachments

Xolatron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 21:02
Thanks. Everything works now .

-Xol

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 07:44 Edited at: 12th Jul 2007 13:01
Quote: "Matrix1Util_05 1.0.0.3
- Added FIND FREE VECTOR functions"

Ian, you rock!

Would you make a function for returning the active camera too?

http://3dfolio.com
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 17:35
@IanM:
Excellent plugin pack
Can I add support to your plugin in PurePLUGIN ?

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 21:53
You already asked that - the answer is still yes

@Mistrel, I'll see what I can do.

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 00:04
@IanM: loool ... I think I may contact a doctor ... Alzheimer Sword above my head :p

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 05:07
Hey IanM, I used your plugin in WeedWorks and I gave credit to you for the use of your Matrix Utils. Very cool and thanks again!

If you want to check it out, here is the link:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=107362&b=8&p=1

Visit the Wip!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:22:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:22:02