Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / VB: can a MDB be used for an RPG Storage system?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone.

Iv been wanting to make an online RPG for ages, i can do the game, but i need a fast way to store everyones data.

Iv made a MDB file with all the infomation, but is this way any good to be what the game reads from for users positions and everything.

What why would you recomend?

and if this way is ok, how do you set up a MDB file to accept multi-user access and write?

Thanks for your help.
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 15:54 Edited at: 7th Apr 2003 15:57
to be honest your best bet would be to download a copy of MySQL http://www.mysql.com and use that with a DLL such as MrTAToads SQL DLL, I haven't used it but I heard people talk about it.

Access is ok for some situations but I wouldn't recommend Access as an online database as that's not what it's used for whereas MySQL is used for that purpose. MySQL is fast, accepts just over 100 simultaneous connections, which is a split second or less lol where MySQL is concerned.

so, MySQL with online games could make an awesome combination, but it's just a matter of setting up a Data Source Name(DSN) so your user can connect to the database at real-time.

also, you could just write a simple flat file database using C/C++, as C's file handling is extremely quick and would suit your needs instead of using Access or MySQL.

Do not anticipate the outcome of the engagement, let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment - from "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 23:25:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 23:25:15