Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / OK not exactly on dark basic but didnt know where else to ask :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 19:49
1) Please reply if you have experience in Delphi 6 programming even if you are not able to answer the rest of the questions.

2) Does anybody here who knows about Delphi 6 know anything about the internet stuff you can do with it.

3) Does it have the same internet capabilities as Dark Basic Pro. (can you do the same stuff with delphi 6 intenet as you can do with dark basic multiplayer)

4) Could any body give me the equivilent commands or tell me what i have to write in each property box of the client and server tools in delphi 6 for db commands such as...

Set Net Connection
Create Net Game
Join Net Game
Send Net Message
Perform checklist for net sessions (although i get the feeling that one wont just be one command!)

I would really like to be able to get two computers to send net messages to each other using delphi 6.
Im sorry that this is not about DB Pro but i didnt know where else to go to (and im sure there must be some delphi 6 people around these forums)

THANKS! [img][/img]
I have a word of advice...
..don't piss on an electric fence!
BoB Vila
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 20:17
why don't you just make the server in DBP?

Bobvila.com made me take off my avatar! (dunno how they found out)
Terabyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 20:21
i want to write it using delphi 6 because delphi 6 uses the windows API and i dont really want a program using up 100% of the cpu! plus if i could write a program using delphi 6 i can give the middle fingure to some imature gits at my school

klukk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 21:37
The net commands in DBP are really...really high level encapsulations of the DirectPlay API. Maybe there's a Delphi library on the net that encapsulates the API in a similar way, but I doubt it. Now, I haven't programmed in Delphi for a couple of years now (las version I saw was 4), but all it had were some socket/HTTP/FTP components, but I doubt that you'd be willing to write to a standard tcp/udp socket as that's much more work than using the DBP commands, or the DirectPlay API.

I would advise you to take the middle ground and check out some Delphi libraries that encapsulate the DirectPlay API (just type "Delphi DirectPlay components" into ye olde Google and away you go). Bear in mind however that this will be much more work than using the DBP commands.

Cheers,
Klukk.

- If nothing sticks to teflon, then how do they make teflon stick to the pan???
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 21:50 Edited at: 7th Apr 2003 21:51
personally i'd use DarkBasic Pro to access the Winsock2.DLL and use windows own sockets to develop what i want. IanM made a good start with is IP grabber

ping.c

ping.h

perhaps later if i have a chance i'll show you howto import this data into DBpro using DLLs instead of the the C's headers
but that basically creates a socket, IP address, then uses it to send and receive ping information using the network available.

and believe it or not the C code isn't that differenct from the DBpro code you'd use for the same effect, just would requite some creative use of the types or pointers (or both)

[edit-]

incase your wondering, this is the ping.exe they supply with Windows95 and above

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 23:09
@Frobscottle

What version of Delphi 6 do you have? If, like me, it is the personal edition then the commands are limited. However, look for socket,example in the index, there is a good example of the Send Net Message equivilent there. As for checking for connections, it isn't simple, you normally have to specify the IP of the other machine but on a local network this can be done more easily.

"using up 100% of the cpu!"

Just use SYNC OFF and under P4, DBP apps use about 2% of the CPU time.

Current Project: Retro Compo. Entry.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 23:38
The first site too look at is torry.net. Don't know exactly what you want to do but you should take a look here http://www.torry.net/internetpacks.htm. Take a closer look at the Internet Component Suite.

Ogres have layers.
Terabyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 11:14
so does anyone know of the top of their head what some of the commands above are?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 05:16:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 05:16:18