Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] How to become a moderator or administrator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 20:27
How to become a moderator or administrator???
I mean, I'm quite often dwelling around these forums and I often see a whole lot of familiar other names. How come there are just so few moderaters?
I mean, someone like for instance Raven or so should at least be a moderator.
What does someone have to do to get that kind of status??
By steel will thy flesh divide
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 20:37
beg alot to Rich... and not act like i do also tend to help
if you notice how i am around these forums, i actually prefer the freedom of being able to bitch people out rather than having to be all responsible all the time (^_^)

it's great not being a mod cause after i make a mess i don't have to clean it up - mwhahaa

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 21:11
May God have mercy on our souls if Raven (the flame king) ever becomes a Moderator

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 21:27
would certainly make things more interesting around here eh? hehee

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Superbeest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 00:49
Haha, yes, but I think it is nice to be able to edit some post or even clean up things around here. Some post just contain crap (like this one ) But what you said is true, you can't flame anymore than. But it does have a kind of status thingy.
You know, this forum is also my startpage. Boot the pc, forum comes up (explorer autorun). Is often handy. To bad the site is a bit slow. But well. Guess being a moderater or a admin will just stay a dream for now. Or I can stalk Rich forever, asking, no begging . Hmm don't think he'd apreciate it.
Back to reality again

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 01:03
you want to stalk Rich... well he lives at

ya know this site is one of the fastest php based i've ever been on, but then on DSL its loading up within a matter or 2seconds lol

Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
it's fast for me and I'm on dialup

Do not anticipate the outcome of the engagement, let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment - from "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 02:58
I'm supposidly at the top of the list, meaning I'm going to be mod the next time he needs one but he seems to have bypassed me :S

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 03:22
I think the basic requerments are advanced knowlege in DB and/or DBpro, being peacemaker, not flaming, and being to make good judgements without letting you feelings effect them. I won't make a very good mod becuase I'm too open minded, I wouldn't lock flamebaits untill it comes to blows. That and I'm still a novice when it come to Pro.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 04:36
lol... i wouldn't be so sure Arrow, as i've not been told i'm actually off the list of possible Mods - but somehow i have the feeling i've been bumped downto the "only if we're desperate" list

don't feel bad raps, i thin puffy only became a mod to get him off of Rich's back to be honest (^_^) ... which isn't to say this is the way to become a mod :: thinks Rich is gonna beat him later ::
what i ment to say is erm...

oh would you look at the time

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 06:37
um ye ok,It isnt a pretty job.

If raven or any other disturbed person ever became a moderator then they would have access to your ip address.

This isnt good if an argument is started and your pcs address is abused with spam or an attack due to difference of opinion.

You can lose all of your hard work if u dont back up.
Thats a pretty nasty recursion for a simple difference of opinion.

Some people abuse power and others try to channel it along a positive stream.

If u dont like the way I deal with a situation Im still big enough to understand if I was wrong if shown.

Raven u dont have that quality which may give u an indication of why u wouldnt suit the job anyway.
Also u were banned forever at RGT, thats not exactly a good score card.

I think we have a space looming but I have to talk to Rich first,Yarbles is still missing in action and I dont know why he hasnt appeared on the net for over 4 months so Im a little concerned.

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 07:22 Edited at: 8th Apr 2003 07:24
You guys need to kiss and make up. really , we won't look and think your gay or anything. , Not that gay this a bad thing ))))))

It's not the size of your code but how efficiently you use it!
Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 07:33 Edited at: 8th Apr 2003 07:33
One thing is for sure, if I were a Moderator I'd be tempted to get a court order saying that "Raven and Indi must remain 50 posts apart at all times".

Anywhere I see you two together on a subject, ANY subject, you're always at each other's throats.

Well, more like Raven is trying to flame grill Indi with his flame thrower, while Indi tries to scare Raven with his "Adolf Hitler in a donkey outfit" disguise.

Now I could be wrong (being a little sarcastic now) but I sense you don't like each other much.

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 07:41 Edited at: 8th Apr 2003 07:45
Quote: " i've not been told i'm actually off the list of possible Mods - but somehow i have the feeling i've been bumped downto the "only if we're desperate" list "

There's a list?

Quote: "Not that gay this a bad thing ))))))"

I was gonna post something about being more confident, but I figure I better not, this is a Mod-Bait, after all.

You mods know our IPs huh, no womder I only see one of two of ya at a time, I think the total I've seen is 5, including Rich. I've being in some other site with totally insane Mods, they'll ban you for life just for looking at them wrong. To walk the fine line of nuetrality, and to always be cool headed, can't say I've always done that. Plus I bet reading all these post takes up a ton of time. Do you guy divide up the work or is it first come, first serve?

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 08:27
Quote: ""Raven and Indi must remain 50 posts apart at all times"."

I second that.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 08:35
raven can remain 1 forum apart at all times if he persists to swear and make my job here harder than it should be.

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 11:00
Me Me Me Me

But after a year of pestering Rich i need to change tactics.

Whats that he said about a bigger community needing more moderators.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 11:35
Just remember Raven, newbies only count in the event of a tie - and mods score double points...

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 12:40
You guys really want to know one of my main criteria for a moderator? Simple - age. Not DB experience (although that helps), not how many messages you post, but quite simply how old you are.

No offence to the younger generation here, but I want mods who are over their testosterone induced boughts of flaming and require serious anger management classes. Teenagers don't like to be told they are wrong, hell no-one likes to be told they are wrong! but more often than not a mod (or DBS in general) will be targetted as such and it's damned hard to rise above it. I'm guilty of retaliating when I shouldn't have done, everyone is and being a mod doesn't mean you are no longer able to argue your point or tell people where to go when they're just being anal about something (and let's face it guys, we have quite a bit of that here!). But with age DOES come experience and ability to not let things bother you as much as they might otherwise. This is important, I want mods my own age (or close to it - mid 20s) because they understand this too.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Superbeest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 14:51
Hmm guess I have to wait a few years. And don't flame anybody, and read every post. Post werever I can, and so on. O

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 17:27
Well I guess I'm boarderline then, I bet 21 is counted as 16 due to the sudden and unregualated introduction of alcohol, lol.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Dunno why everyones jumping to be mod, its goto be the most thankless task on the net.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 18:07
lol don't ask me, i'm quite happy enough not being one
i guess its some sorta powertrip people like - but the resourceful netbody will get that power some otherway anyways

as i've said if i had to be a mod then there's no way i could be how i am now... its kinda like when you get married or serious with someone, find all that laddish behaviour you used to do has to kinda stop as you get your ass reponsible (although that doesn't appear to be the case more and more recently)

Raven Vegeta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 20:31
Note:

"if you notice how i am around these forums, i actually prefer the freedom of being able to bitch people out rather than having to be all responsible all the time (^_^)"

Say the truth Raven, u don't bitch other peoples, u do even worse, u bitch peoples good work and steal other peoples work and clain it was made by you... Besides, u pretend to be a big shit that u r not...

Note:

"it's great not being a mod cause after i make a mess i don't have to clean it up - mwhahaa"

Well, that u really don't do. Ask forgiven or say sorry does not belong to ur vocabulary... Ur parents really made a bad job givin u education.. they suck as parents (^_^)

Watashi wa Eletronic Arts de shigoto o shimasu!
Raven Vegeta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 20:32
Note:

"lol don't ask me, i'm quite happy enough not being one"

wrong.. we all know u wanted. U got jealous when Puff became one, remember?

Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 20:38
I wonder if Shadow Robert doesn't like Raven?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 20:51
lol ... saying he don't like me is an understatement.
Shadow Robert - don't attack me parents for any reason, you don't know either of them and you have no right to say if they raised my properly or not.
It's not thier fault YOU don't like me, and you best pipedown cause i ain't have you or any other moron insulting them

Raven Vegeta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 21:20
U can insult whoever u want without know them either... so hold back and shut the f*ck

Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
o.O *rolls eyes*

Never stop in the perseverance of knowledge.
The Key to life's secrets is on that road.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 22:35
Age, hummm....

Well i am 16. Big deal. I get mistaken for being 18 in real life, 19 once.

Over the phone i get called Mr. Pittuck casue i sound/speak like someone quite a bit older.

I have deep thoughts on philosiphy and was meant to A* all my subject. But they got boring and insignificant in realtion to what i needed. Hardly any jobs are taken on GCSE's any more.

I have my views and opinions which are mostly quite educated. I listen to people before making judgments.

Also i have a good grasp of enlish asn i cannot stand impropper swearing, some light swearing (which is technically not swearing) i can stand but not some of the fing and blinding that occours some times.

I get annoyed too, but only with good reason.

The Raven v. Simple debate is a bit childish, although there will always be people that dont get on....

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 23:21
Martyn its not just age, because puffy is 16 (only just) ... the point is being more mature.
there's no need to try and make yourself look like a CV that you've brighten'd up for an employer... i don't understand why any of you would want to actually be moderators.
ya know if it was upto me there are 2moderators i'd actually take off the lists becuase one is just very rarely active unless he wants to add to topics that really he should know better than to add to, and the other because he lets his veiws affect how he behaves around the forum ... which to be honest i think its more an influencial veiw of certain members of this forum than his own.

however personally i think there are a few threads around here which deserve to be deleted as all they do is cause further aggrovation - same goes for members who go around abusing others, they need to just chill out for a while and learn that we're not here to go around attacking everyone.

to be honest ya know oftenly when i've been in positions like moderator or something, when i've been struck off its not because i've done a bad job but because i tend to bend rules on certain things - and its never anything major, oftenly nothing that really matters a lick ... just something that the Admins don't like because they want everyone to play exactly within the rules.
Last time this happened was over at Cybertown about 2years ago, because i refused to get one of the apartment blocks i was the head of down to the 48 person limit - it was stupid, they fired me for being the best at what i was doing... i had 4 Apartment Blocks under my control, and i'd won awards for having them rank Diamond for over 6months since i started. Another one i was fired because i wouldn't ask someone to move thier home from a block that had been opened up on the road to a free one on grass which i'd closed.
I mean this person had been there for almost 4months, and just because the new Neighbourhood Leader wanted them gone - and i wouldn't she fired me from that block too.
Went back there a few months later the whole place was falling apart, like 5-10 people on all the blocks i was on ... was just a waste.

the way i see it, when your moderator you owe those you're incharge of the decency to actually act like someone who is responsible ... however that said whilst you're not one, why should you act like that? without someone like me around here this forum would certainly have alot less entertainment

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 23:27
Crosses off "Be DarkBASIC Moderator" out of "Things that I would like to be list"

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 23:41
:: looks at next item on RPGamer's list ::
Hmm Be RGT Moderator eh? ... good luck (^_^)

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:27
Hey theres always a chance I love being mods, Im a mod at my CS team server fun fun I love authority!!!

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:31
hmm... should we let a dessert with an automatic weapon have authoritah?

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:38
I'm 28 and with customer service experience. I guess I could be a DB moderator. If I think about it, I generally like to help people here and I frequently defend DB.

However, the one thing that stops me wanting to be a moderator here is the lack of satisfaction the role would yield. I genuinely feel for the task of the moderators as the only reward for an internet forum moderator anywhere is respect, and there certainly isn't much respect ever aimed at the DB team around here.

My games probably give me more respect than is ever shown to Rich or Indi on these boards, save for their obvious technical prowess which does not need moderator status.

So to answer the question of this post 'How to become a moderator or administrator?' my answer is another question, 'Are you really sure you want too?'

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:54
PneumaticDryll - yes, you are the right sort of person I would consider for the role. Not that I have any idea if you'd want to or not though.

I guess really I could give Martyn a chance, I mean there's nothing a moderator can do that I can't undo so if all hell goes to pot it doesn't matter too much (other than it looks bad). Hmmmm.... choices choices....

Cheers,

Rich

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:59
Laff... Rich is right, age does bring maturity, wisdom etc but not in all cases. I don't want to name any names but I many young teens or children on this forum are far more mature than some *cough* adults here, so I disagree with age being your main criteria. (Just my opinion of course, do whatever you want ) I could tell you how old I am, it even says in my profile my DOB. Does that mean I'm telling the truth? I could be a 80 year old woman, or a 10 year old child, you wouldn't be able to tell the truth over the internet. It's maturity and such that matter IMHO. (Being part of the community for a while does help as well)

So because of my supposed age in my profile, am I excluded from being a mod? Because if so, I'd like to at least know I'm off the list.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 02:07
If that was the age I went by it might matter, but it's not.

Cheers,

Rich

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 02:23
I have a question that i'm sure is relevent for those interested in moderatorship: What do you, Rich, see as the role of a moderator on these boards?

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 02:29
I guess the following:

1) Spot and delete offensive posts (those full of swearing or that touch on subjects we'd rather not cover)

2) Try their best not to get involved in personal arguments, although I don't say that mods here ought to be the Saint of all Saints. Quite frankly if you're getting jip from some anal retentive, you're allowed to give it back providing you stick within the boundaries of human decency (no stupid threats, swearing at them, calling them names, etc).

3) Help out when you can even if its just pointing people in the right direction.

4) To notify ME of anything major brewing up in the forums, I try to read all posts but I know I miss a lot too.

That's about it really. Mods here do not have to be champions of DBS, but if you've got something against us/our products you're probably not best suited to the role

Cheers,

Rich

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 04:54 Edited at: 9th Apr 2003 04:55
Well on maturity, I guess I wouldn't know. I've never been older than I am now, so I don't know how mature that is. My cread is to always have an open mind, insted of instantly flaming someone who doesn't agree with me I first re-explain what I said in case they misunderstood. I think I've only been an active part in two flame wars 1) the cursed 'Elimination of Evil' game thread, which has been revived more times than Jason and Freddy Kruger combined, and 2) a flamebait started by Shadow Robert up there going off about software piracy. Neither of those two I'm proud of. Any way If you need some names for the 'mods to be' list, add mine to it. I know it's a thankless task, but half of my free time is waiting for new posts to pop up around here.

I think the real question is what is the reason people what to become Mods?
a)Ego trip/power fix
b)Clean up forum/keep jerks in line
c)get to read deleted posts

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 06:21
So... am I still on the list or not? I don't care either way, well I do but I'm not gonna go chew on you if you say no
I'd just like to know if I'm still eligable.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 06:37 Edited at: 9th Apr 2003 07:00
A lot of young perspectives and so eager to work for free, so much too learn.
Quote: "I think the real question is what is the reason people what to become Mods?
a)Ego trip/power fix
b)Clean up forum/keep jerks in line
c)get to read deleted posts"

Simply put: I wouldn't care about any of that, but I am a utilitarian type I wouldn't do it unless I got a DBDN subscription. Sort of a business arrangment between said parties.
This is just to show how someone over 40 thinks, ha ha, not that iam applying.
PS maybe mods do get access I don't know.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 06:44
Ego trip? For some it might be but... I've never seen an ego like that. Doesn't mean they don't exist of course!

Cleaning up the forums is a definite reason, for me included.

Getting to read deleted posts? Who cares? They were deleted for a reason. Besides, if anyone wanted to read a deleted post, you don't have to be a mod to do it!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 08:15
Remember that ego trip covers a broad field, having friends suddenly notice that nice new title above your avitar would count. Hell I could of used an ego boost today. Ever say something like "hi there" to someone and they say "doing fine, how about you?", like they're stuck in a loop? That happend 7 times today.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 10:46
DangYankee, my sentiments exactly...! You maybe over 40, but you have the mind of a 28 year old opportunist!

Raven Vegeta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 12:29
I could be a mod... I would delete all Raven's posts. He just write long out of spot messages and think he is always right I would be THAT good mod, seriously (^_^)

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 16:34 Edited at: 9th Apr 2003 16:35
On a serious note these forums really need a TOS or AUP or somming with set guidelines.

When i signed up i cannt remember if there was one, but i cannot find a dedicated one at the moment.

The would make Moding much easier as there will be set reasons for locking/deleteing/banning a post or a member and it cannot be seen to be a mutual disliking or personal fallout

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 18:05
"but I want mods who are over their testosterone induced boughts of flaming and require serious anger management classes. "

Unfortunately it isn't just the teenagers who suffer from that, but fair comment.

Seriously though, the only criteria I would suggest for a mod would be an age of 18+, at least one or two years' DB experience and and being a pacifist. Still, I don't decide that

"I could be a mod... I would delete all Raven's posts. He just write long out of spot messages and think he is always right I would be THAT good mod, seriously (^_^)"

From your tone I guess you are around 11 or 12 right? - In which case you are way to young to qualify.

"Raven u dont have that quality which may give u an indication of why u wouldnt suit the job anyway.
Also u were banned forever at RGT, thats not exactly a good score card."

Oh dear, this could turn into another flame war. But it is very important that mods are chosen who don't start flame wars and aren't extremely arrogant, I have seen other forums where this has been the case and the results have been disastrous. I remember another unnamed forum where I am a junior mod, and we had this one guy who lost us half our traffic once he became a full mod.

On the other hand, you need a mod who is tolerant as well, on the RGT forums, the admin, Guy Savoie, is an absolute pacifist, which means that any discussions like "Blitz vs. DBPro" are instantly locked and deleted - which can feel a bit patronising and people feel a tad oppressed at times, so they don't want to speak their mind. Just my experience though.

Why do people want to become mods:

a) They want an ego boost / power trip - not a good reason
b) They feel that there are problems in the forums which they want to sort out - good reason (with caution)
c) If you are a mod it means that you have been recognised as someone with the necessary qualities by the board admin, which some people find valuble.

Still, I am pretty happy with Apollo at the moment, I suppose it could maybe do with just one or two more mods (raps or Kangie maybe?)

"It's not thier fault YOU don't like me, and you best pipedown cause i ain't have you or any other moron insulting them "

This IMO, is a good example of what NOT to say if you wish to become a mod.

Current Project: Retro Compo. Entry.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 19:19:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 19:19:34