Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] How to become a moderator or administrator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 18:42
we have the same deal here now Rob with 'DBPRO vs whatever' simply because most of the users just can't contain why they say about the other products and its stupid.

Martyn there is one, just sign up again ... no doubt the mods are given a rundown of roughly what they should look out for. Although i'm not sure as when puffy was first made a mod i helped him make alot of decisions conserning things.

quite frankly i can see alot of people here who just havn't got the attitude for being a mod, with fun&games aside i'm not the same as a mod as i am as a user - but really the whole difference is as a user you have people keeping you in check and you don't need to be responsible, kinda like when you're around your parents again you can loosen up - but when you're a mod you suddenly become the parent, and you have to be alot more responsible about what you do.
mainly because people will look at you and think "well if he can do that and he's a mod, then surely i can do that too!" ... you have to relise you actions affect others, that maybe a slightly serious veiw on what you do - but the quickest way things goto hell in a forum is when people believe that they can get away with things because the mod does. The best way to stop that is to stop doing what you were.

but that aside ya'll still are assuming that i ever actually asked to be a mod ...

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 18:48
"which means that any discussions like "Blitz vs. DBPro" are instantly locked and deleted - which can feel a bit patronising and people feel a tad oppressed at times, so they don't want to speak their mind."

I actually have to agree with this policy. I will delete a DB/DBPro vs. X post if it appears here. Not because I want to stop flame wars but simply because I don't see why we (DBS) should pay to promote another package, even if the comparison does turn out in DBs favour. If you want to learn about package X go and do your homework on one of their forums.

Other than that I'm not sure what else we'd have in a AUP here (bar the obvious stuff). We're pretty leinient (spelling?!) really.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 19:20
"Not because I want to stop flame wars but simply because I don't see why we (DBS) should pay to promote another package, even if the comparison does turn out in DBs favour. "

Rich, they allow those kind of posts on Blitz' forums though and we need to put our side up. Besides, DBP is always compared favourably here so I really don't see what the worry is. I respect the decision, but last time there was a long thread on this, it was generally a very fair, mature discussion.

Current Project: Retro Compo. Entry.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 20:11
Most of the time that isn't the case though and even the "mature discussion" we had last time contained various immature spoutings! (again, they may have been in DBs favour, but it still doesn't look good). I don't believe it's fair to either package in the comparison. What they do over at A.N.Other forum shouldn't matter to us, product slagging gives a bad reflection on the company hosting that discussion even when its meant to be fair and constructive. It's something I'd rather steer clear from (and I support Guys for doing the same).

If a thread was along the lines of "I can do X in package Y at Z fps, but in DB it runs faster!" then I wouldn't object - when there is a good explanation of something specific that's different, but if its as generic as "X vs Y" then we hit rough waters.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 21:53
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 22:28
The day shadow robert becomes a mod is the day when the Earth is absorbed in to Jupiter's gravity becoming another moon. Seriously, the only time robert posts is when Raven had said something. I'm supprised that he didn't get banned for the flaming this guy did, I can't remember a single post this guy did that wasn't a flame.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 22:45
if Rich would apply the ban feature we might not have this problem.

unfortunately i cant do that

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 23:03
I have not read all the post just some of em but i really disagree with the age thing, the way i see it you are either capable or incapable of doing the job regardless of age, i personally think it is weather or not you have a good attitude and are responsible enough for a task like being a moderator.

also if any moderators do read this post can you tell me how to pay for dbdn using pay pal.

Thanx

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp

http://www.apollo-design.com
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 23:16
I kinda agree with lcfcfan, I have a brother who's a good 5 years older than me, and I can safely say I'm more mature than him ^_^. Maybe another criteria would be to try and keep out of current moderators' hair, its always useful not to have someone against you from the word go.

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 23:23
selecting based on age of course is a disagreement, but there should be a minimum age - just to protect DBS's asses in the light of possible legal matters.

remember a few forum operators have been taken to court by parents in the US for thier children moderating and having like stuff all on this screen like women doing things to farm animals that'd make you a vegitarian for sure lol ... i mean apart from this breaking the TOS its also the fact that the legal guardians can't protect them against this kind of material if they're moderators as its basically thier job to shift it.

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 23:32 Edited at: 9th Apr 2003 23:33
oh yes definatly i agree raven there should be a minimum age but it's a bit unfair to be judged on something cos of your age people should be judged on their ability which i know is hard to do on the net cos you dont personally know what all the people are like but once you have found someone that you think is responsible then age should not matter.(apart from the minimum age thing of course)

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp

http://www.apollo-design.com
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 23:57
Basically as true as that is and I know 'cos I felt excactly the same way when I was a young'un, If you're not at least 18 in most countries, you legally shouldn't have access to 'adult material' and so being a moderator is out of the question on a purely legal level.
As far as maturity goes you just have to look around these forums to see that I'm perfectly immature at least 1/2 the time, and I turned 30 at the end of last year

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Raven Vegeta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 00:07
Note:

"The day shadow robert becomes a mod is the day when the Earth is absorbed in to Jupiter's gravity becoming another moon. Seriously, the only time robert posts is when Raven had said something. I'm supprised that he didn't get banned for the flaming this guy did, I can't remember a single post this guy did that wasn't a flame."

I don't actually give a single dime for what u think buddy, but one thing I know, Zelda is the best RPG I've ever played

Watashi wa Eletronic Arts de shigoto o shimasu!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 00:11
hehee... hey we're not called immature now - we're called Men Attributed with Childish Hospitality Often or MACHO
its quite funny really, cause deep down men never grow up - or do we and i've just been not told when... hmmm... i think i need to ask alex, perhaps give her some nice small strawberries might help her give me a nice biased answer

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 00:18
I love helping people Thats why I would like to be a mod, so I could give something back to the DB community for all they have given to me

I agree that they arent thanked enough, which is why I started the thread "Praise the DB Staff" I would really enjoy being a moderator, but I honestly dont think I would be chosen It sure would be nice though.....

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 00:19 Edited at: 10th Apr 2003 00:25
Danmatsuma-- Yeah but there is a big difference in playing around and having a fun than others who are just being a Dumb Obnoxious Racist Kid or DORK.

It's not the size of your code but how efficiently you use it!
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 00:36 Edited at: 10th Apr 2003 00:38
True, as you grow older, I think you become even more and more childlike, and past a certain age even babylike.

Think about the similarities between an elderly person, and a baby.
Toothless, uncoordinated, shrivelled, hairless, incapable of coherent speech, the list goes on!

And I'm doing excactly what I was doing when I was 10 years old now, coding in basic, the only real difference being that I'm old enough to not feel bad about feeding the kitten strawberries and cream without having to ask for permission...although sometimes asking for permission can be fun

[edit]

Oh yeah dang, I got an acronym but I really shouldn't use it here

*ASMPLOL!!*

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 00:43
You start out in diapers before you know it your right back in them.
PS not at that stage yet (long time to go) , I heard your mind wizzing by.

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 01:00
@Rich:
Why not let everyone who wants to be a mod, be a mod. I think that persons will soon realise it's not that fun. It's only fun if you would misbehave, and than you could ban that person from the forum forever!

Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ 256 MB Ram Geforce 4 TI 4200 128 MB
www.cuso.tk
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 01:12
@Rich

Fair enough I guess, and stats or whatever can be skewed either way. Still, DBS can rely on its publicity to get it noticed, whereas a certain other competing product can't.

"remember a few forum operators have been taken to court by parents in the US for thier children moderating and having like stuff all on this screen like women doing things to farm animals that'd make you a vegitarian for sure lol ..."

Seriously? Anyhow, that IS the US, where you can sue for anything and everything according to some people [I don't live there, I wouldn't know] We should be a bit safer in the UK.

@RTSpider

Trust me, that really isn't a good idea. I remember somewhere where that policy was tried out, and the results were something akin to Lord of the Flies, but less civilised. Sigh - human nature is such an annoying problem, unfortunately even recoding DNA won't get rid of this ill.

Rich will appoint mods when and where he sees fit obviously, whether or not dangling his fiancee over a 500ft. cliff or mailing mysterious weighty brown envelopes to his home address would help, I don't know.

Current Project: Retro Compo. Entry.
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 01:21
hehe, yeah you saw it comin' dang

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 01:39 Edited at: 10th Apr 2003 01:41
I pretty happy with the mod we got now, although when I noticed that DarthPuff was one I kinda got a little worried, lol. I think with few mods it's better too, last thing we want is a ton of mod stepping each others toes and starting mod flamewars.

Quote: "I don't actually give a single dime for what u think buddy, but one thing I know, Zelda is the best RPG I've ever played "
Then why did you send me two e-mails saying "I will **** ur e-mails around the internet as much as I can... " and "stop sucking his **** for gods sakes u mother ****er"? Ya know, the only time I ever sent someone an e-mail about a forum post was they asked for something.

@everyone else
By the way, I didn't see that second page so my last comment was off topic by then, sorry.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 03:55
Rob i wouldn't be so sure, the TOS are the same ... and although i doubt the legal system will ever been clear enough in the UK to have quite the "i'll sue ikea cause i stubbed my toe on thier shelfset" kinda attitude, there are alot more cases now of just purely stupid things - just watch the news every so often, i mean christ the government are even punishing parents for something thier kids do without thier knowlage now - the whole system is going to pot because of american influences (no offense ment, but the US legal system is just one of the most open and useless in the world) ... so now people are getting the idea that claims like this are civil.

just look at how many claims companies have popped up, thats just ambulance chasers on TV!

Mmm... and yes dan i have a very nice late lunch - something about giving a cute lil kitten strawberries at lunchtime that is so much fun
i think i'm gonna shower in a min though, sand gets everywhere when your on the beach hehee

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 07:11
When a fat guy sues McDonalds because he's overwieght, then you know the system is screwed up.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 07:18
When a women sues mcdonalds because her coffee burned her when she spilled it, you know the system is screwed up. Oh wait, that happened. Well that's America for you...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 07:21
Quote: "Oh wait, that happened. Well that's America for you..."
So did my story :-s

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 07:33 Edited at: 10th Apr 2003 07:34
At the risk of flame damage , it's not the system, it's the jury, please, this throws the blame back at "OMG" You, last time I checked it was the jury that awarded the huge sums and tried them. Ya know Iam not trying to start a flame but if you all actually tried to change the system instead of bitch about it. I might have some respect for the rant.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 07:57
oki so we're off it being the american legal system and onto it being the american people
well tamatoe-tomatoe lol

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 08:12 Edited at: 10th Apr 2003 08:35
Your not even in the equation.As you point out and complain about. So why do it now? Maybe concentrate on your legal system. unless your going to improve ours. Look I just want people to start getting involved instead of this "this sux that sux , well thats been going on since the beginning of time.
by the way what is a tamatoe?
You know this one of those times I really don't think we are going to agree on. Some how seems pointless, but I dont believe in just
complaining endlessly to no end.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 08:30
its a " vegeta -bull "

I know how to spell it thanks

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 08:43 Edited at: 10th Apr 2003 08:44
I got my spell checker close by just in case. I edit a lot to check spelling , I know anal retentive. humm is that spelled right ?

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 09:39
Unless your in deep thought, then it's hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

In the end no one has room to talk, we all have been in the wrong at one point or another. Personally, I find it deeply anyoing to see stupidity in people. you turn on a tv to any of those daytime talk shows and see how bad it is. Now one might say that that's not how we really are, but if enough people watch it to keep it on air, then who's to blame. I think the only reason I'm complaining about the situation is so that other may see my point and maybe enough will start to think on thier own. Ingorance bugs me to no end, stupidity, arogance, megalomainia, they all drive me complete nuts. More people need to think for themselves, start taking a few responcablities and stop trying to excape the blame, no matter where they live.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 09:58
moerators have been chosen so ill lock this mass-debate

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 03:16:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 03:16:24