Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Please help me with networking!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 00:51
Hey.
Ok ... here's the situation -
I have Broadband downstairs, but I also have a Gamecube upstairs. Now I want to play PSO on my cube, using my broadband connection.
I don't really want messy wires running everywhere (I dont even know how to set that up though) but I need to somehow (maybe wirelessly) Share my broadband connection with my room upstairs (to my Comp and GC).
I'm pretty sure this can be done, but how easily and cheaply (I dont have much) can it be done?
Thanks alot.
[url]http://dblow.co.uk/images/comingsoon.jpg[/img][/url]
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 00:59
its gonna set u back at least £100 for a wireless starter kit i reccomend going into ur local computer shop and asking them about something like this, or you could buy a cat 5 network cable for about a tenner and a cheap hub for about £30, or get a second network card in your downstairs pc and use internet connection sharing and use a cat 5 twisted pair cable which will probably cost u £25 all togeather.

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp

http://www.apollo-design.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:26
or you could get 2 bluetooth wireless network connector for £35 from Watford Electronics, they're about the size of the USB dongle that DBS sell for Pro - they can connect upto 300metres, which unless you live in a masion should be more than enough

no messy drivers either, just press the connect buttons when your in the same room and they trip to the same frequency - however becarful around Sky+ boxes ... they can't tell the difference lol so if you end up sending alot of data when you turn on Tivo then you'll have to press connect again and it rescrambles as long as the connection goes into the Broadband Hub, or the connection is proxied within your computer from the network card directly to the Broadband connection it'll be cool

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 01:54
i think i might do that raven good idea!

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp

http://www.apollo-design.com
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 09:53
That sounds pretty cool, Just plug one into my network card and one into the Gamcube (or upstairs PC) port? Only problem is my PC here only has one network port, and the broadband ethernet cable is in it ...

[url][/url]
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 10:00 Edited at: 9th Apr 2003 10:08
Raven, did you mean these - http://www.stuff-uk.net/acatalog/z_ST-DBT-120.htm

Edit - Thing is ... How can I plug them into my Gamecube

Edit 2 - This one should allow me to add a network cable without getting a new network card shouldn't it? Then I could just run the cable to my upstairs PC and cube? http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005Y7DO/ref=ed_soc__1_2/202-0755665-3539826

[url][/url]
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 10:55
The best thing to do would be to hit the shops and see what they would recomend.

Get a list of the products they sugest and see if you can get them cheaper online, if not then buy them from the shop.

£50 MAX should get you working...

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 17:34 Edited at: 9th Apr 2003 17:35
yeah denki the amazon one should do the job... now i'd suggest you if you only have a single card then grab youself a network hub - can get an 8port 10/100 one for about £10-15, get a short CAT5 cable about a metre or something... plug the broadband into 1, plug the gamecube into 2 and plug the PC into 3.

should work a treat - or you could alternatively get a second network card (also about £10-15) and do the proxy method i suggested

[edit-]
oh i almost forgot, contact Nintendo of America (don't bother with NoE as they're german its like blood from a stone) ... as them for advice as well before you do anything because they oftenly have good recommendations for this kinda thing.

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 19:48
Thanks alot, I'll look into this, Amazon do have some cheap hubs and usb adapters so hopefully I can get it working pretty cool. The GC should have no problem accepting the connection through it should it? And also, with those wireless usb adapters, do you get a receiver to put into a HUB?
Thanks alot!!!

[url][/url]
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 20:10
Ok, my munm says this is ok, if it will work -

Connect a USB thing to my PC, Connect an Ethernet wire to it, and then run the wire straight to my GC. Will that work?

[url][/url]
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 23:27
Hmm... i'm not sure

it should be like

and i think you'd need 2 yeah, else it'd just send the signal to nowhere lol

denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 10:05
yeah lol. I just decided to link it straight to my modem after all that ya...

But I heard that consoles don't like ALL networks so I figured this was the easiest way to make SURE it worked.

Thanks alot for your help.

[url][/url]
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 10:14
UHF - Cable modem - Cat5 (into uplink port or dynamic uplink)- Hub(xx ports) - Cat5 - (HARDWARE ROUTER / o r / PC with routing software)

hub - cat5 -NIC (Your PC)
hub - cat5 -NIC inbuilt (Your Mac)
hub - cat5 -NIC (Your Sun)
hub - cat5 -NIC inbuilt (Your SGI)
hub - cat5 -NIC inbuilt (Your Game console)

lol so there it is in all its Correct Glory.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 10:29
ADSL modems are slightly different but its a joke anyway and too expensive. not to mention usually forgotten phone filters required

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 14:07
ADSL is great here - £30 a month (all inclusive - with Nildram I get 50Mb web space too); £70 startup; £15 per filter + a ADSL card which is £15/£20

So, the initial outlay is £100, which isn't too bad really for very fast internet surfing.

I would like ADSL 2000, but I cant really justify the £140 a month or so.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 16:36
I share a cable modem with 3 people which is a crimped 512/128
works out around the same as a 56k account for each person $30 or (roughly 11.5 pounds)and they give us a bandwidth of about 3giga month which is kinda limiting but its ok for where i live.

what kind of ping do u get on adsl?

at worst since im halfway around the world and have to play on a uk server i can get 200 ping to 300 ping.

at best its 50 - 200

late at night is the best time as you know for me because cable usage and reaction time is increased when theres less users on.

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 16:50
I get 40 max on a ausie server

I live in the UK on 600K broadband. MOH:AA the game

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 18:55
hub - cat5 -NIC inbuilt (Your Game console)
they don't have them builtin - you need the broadband modem

OH just a quick thing to let you know, if you're using AOL or any other custom dialer ISP... YOU CANNOT NETWORK THE GAMECUBE (or any other console)

this is because you need the networked machine to know the IP proxy rather than the first machine giving access ... plus they need to be routed to the original machine or with a copy of the dialer because the lines are encoded - you can crack the encoding, not a problem, cept the GC doesn't have the ability for that lol

just warning

denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 21:12
I'm on Blueyonder, it should work fine, now just need the adapter and a cable! Laters.

[url][/url]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 01:59:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 01:59:02