Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / My FPS Demo. MUST SEE!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 13:25 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 13:27
This is a demo from my fps engine. It shows how far i have got into making it. This demo shows some of the graphical caps. The HDR shader is evolved's but i hope to replace this with my own. The engine works in the same way as the source engine. You can put an entire game in a directory, and if you point the engine to that directory, it will run the main script, and that will run the game scripts.

Here are some screens

There are more screenshots and a demo download, avaliable at my site. http://www.scratchyrice-dev.co.uk

Tell me what you think

-General Reed

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1GB ram, Geforce 6600 GTX, 80GB HDD
Vist www.scratchyrice-dev.co.uk
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 13:50 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 13:51
i see what could be a fairly nice looking map be totally spoiled by a poor usage of bloom, just because you have the option to use it doesnt mean you have to, do you honestly think your game looks better with the shader? cause imo its looks terrible.

and as for the engine for all we know it could just be a mouselook and move, but alas its still better than some things in the wip/program boards these days .

[edit] just realised this is in the program announcements board :/.

Hallowed are the ori.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 13:53
it looks terrible on the screeny's...WAY to much light.

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 13:54
I agree completely with DarkCoder on this one, the level's look very HL2-esque, but the shader is working overtime.

What kind of gameplay elements is there? Or is it all just a bunch of objects plonked around the place, a shader on top of it and its a finished game for you?

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 13:59
BTW,it jumps a little bit to high,about 1 and a half floor?

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 14:10 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 14:21
Hmm, yes i think your right on the overusage of light. I will have to build in light sectors or something, so when the player is in a certan section, the light is set to a certain brightness. Or the closer the player gets to a light source, the brighter the light gets. At the mo, the HDR is set to 2.0, i have tried it on 1.5, and it looks much better. Obviously youve never heard of snow blindness.

@Dark coder - The engine infact has physics and a gui built in, a demo will soon be release to demonstrate these.

@Kentaree - NO THIS IS NOT A FINISHED GAME FOR ME! - sorry put it in the wrong board. This is just the very beggining, i have been using DBPro for 3 years now, but have sadly not had the internet untill recently, so i have not been able to show my work. This engine is being build to host a Chavkill game that i thought of a year ago. Typical that someone brings out a title "3d chav killer" not long before i start on the project.

P.S. Press the ` key, and a console will pop up. It only has two commands at the moment set_bloom_on and set_bloom_off

Thanks for the comments, but this engine is in very early stages of development, so be patient.

-General Reed

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 14:20
Ok, I must apologise, both for the comment about the "finished game" which is probably a bit harsh, and the not noticing the demo. I was actually pleasantly surprised by this. While it is not very technically advanced, I like the feel off the controls, and it has a nice visual aspect to it in game.

Not sure if it's even really ready for a WIP post though, it needs to do a bit more first

General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
I forgive you Kentaree, i just felt i should show what i had done so far thats all

Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 17:32
I think the over use of bloom shaders is quite... unique. I think it looks rather cool.

Jrock is pronouned Jay-Rock
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 18:02
Yes... i think the 3rd picture looks very cool. But the 1st and 2nd not really... in the first picture there's nothing to see except the sky, and the second is very dark, how you might have already noticed.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 18:09
I think that you may want to tone down the bloom a bit. Otherwise it looks NICE!

General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys, i think i will go along with what the majoraty of you say, and put down the HDR a bit.
-general reed

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 20:23 Edited at: 17th Aug 2006 04:48
Dark Coder, Kentaree, are you mad or jealous or something, that looks great! Without bloom it woulb be nothing. Don't take it away General Read!

Bloom is a great way making things bright without having to turn the monitor brightness all the way up. If it looks to bright to see for them, that's good! If you can easily see everything, then it's not realistic. It's supposed to be hard to see outdoors and looking at the sky.

Take this screenshot of one of my games for instance (not advertizing). This is poor usage of bloom I regret to say. See how you can look at the sun with ease?:

Bloom is there to make things realistic. Those other guys don't get the point.

Quote: "it looks terrible on the screeny's...WAY to much light."

That's the point. Pile it on!

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
EsteemDE
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats the point? So the point is to blind the gamer? Still terrible even if that was your plan...

Current Project - Dark NET System Framework DLL
Percentage - 14%.......Lines of Code - 9,171
This Info Updated - 6/18/06 12:10pm
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 21:14
Yes it is, realizm is what I'm after. Complain all you want.

Uncle Sam
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 22:17
the shader isnt bad,but the ligh that is annoying.its from everywhere and its hard to even see where to walk at 7:00AM...

e-Drome website
Dark Eternity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 22:23
the shader is a bit overused yeah but it reminds me of counter strike source in that way, anybody tried de_dust with full HDR? it is a nightmare, bloom is best used in mroe discreet ways like a higher brightness when you look higher and to brighten characters faces while out doors

Scorched Skies is waiting,can you help

AMDAthlonFX-62,NvidiaGeforce7900 512MB X2,RAM4GB
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 22:36 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 22:37
Quote: "Bloom is there to make things realistic."

It's funny, when I go outside things don't look quite that bright.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe)
Download the free version
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 23:03
Well...that's because you squint when you go outside. You can't squint at a computer screen, so the only way to make it hard to see is having a lot of light to cover of objects, like bloom does.

Uncle Sam
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 23:05
Yes, but after a short while your eyes adjust to the light and you don't have to squint.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe)
Download the free version
General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 23:32 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 23:32
It is more realistic, because if youve ever been out in the snow while the sun shining, the reflecton off the snow is like that!

Thanks for the support sam, i will lower the bloom on mine a bit, but not by much form 2.0 to 1.7 brightness

Anyways in the last screenshot, as you get closer to that post, it is revealed

-general reed

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 23:55 Edited at: 17th Aug 2006 00:10
I cant see any snow - its white everywhere.

General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
look in the skysphere, the mountains have snow on them, and that snow glows up

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 02:09 Edited at: 17th Aug 2006 02:12
Quote: "Yes, but after a short while your eyes adjust to the light and you don't have to squint."

Hahaha, yeah,eyes tend to adjust to light. Anyhow,just try to make a little less bloom and it will be beautiful. The indoor pic(or it looks indoor) is good looking. Good job.

Working on DBIrr. Done so far : objets,lights,cameras,billboarding. To come: Dark physics support,newton game dynamics support(or ode,can't really decide...)
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 04:09
Heh I wish I knew how to use a bloom shader... Anyway I can't wait to see a new screeny!

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 07:23
@sixty squares - In the wip section they have a shader pack. A bloom shader is in that,plus some others I'll never be able to use

Working on DBIrr. Done so far : objets,lights,cameras,billboarding. To come: Dark physics support,newton game dynamics support(or ode,can't really decide...)
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 09:51
Bloom shaders are best handled in their own pipeline, like if you made a duplicate scene, coloured everything but the bright stuff black, then used that as the overlay, the effect is about 100 times better, because it's not affecting everything. I'm talking about the snow on those mountains too, I'd black out everything but the snow, then the bloom shader would make it really stand out, but leave the actual terrain unbloomed. Having a muted sky added to the blooms version of the skysphere would make windows glow, like inside a building the edges of the window would look great, because the sunlight would be in your face, and it'd more like what actually happens. So by NOT blooming the walls inside a bulding, you put the focus on the bloom areas, and the effect is actually amplified when it's realistic like that.

When you bloom the whole lot like that - you might as well smear vaseline over your eyes. Less is definately more with bloom.

''Stick that in your text and scroll it!.''
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 10:43
Quote: "Bloom is there to make things realistic."

Clean your glasses.

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 15:14
Bloom will make the scene more realistic - but you must use it right.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 02:24
Lmao

Yeah, my favorite game would definetly be the one I can't see. "Oh whats that, a mutant? Bang bang! Woops, that was the bomb. Bummer I can't see anything with all this light."

Applyby has Flies in his Eyes.
Eoin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 15:03
Being honest I agree with Xenocythe :p

personally i turn bloom and HDR off when playing, it's just counter productive even if it's more realistic.

back on topic, yes, there is too much bloom

GeeHost.com for all your hosting needs
Dark Eternity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 20:19 Edited at: 18th Aug 2006 20:20
the best way to manage this (like i do in my engine) is to set the bloom to a certain level in certain zones but then when you look towards it you incase the bloom brightness, if you use evolveds shader then it is very quick to load and adjust so a quick tune could be done with a 1 fps drop for a moment and then the framerate is back

Scorched Skies is waiting,can you help

AMDAthlonFX-62,NvidiaGeforce7900 512MB X2,RAM4GB
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Well its a very simple demo, but the graphics are very nice looks kind of like Oblivion, thank you HDR for brightening our gameplay (no pun intended)

Check out my site for the latest on my games.
Baiame
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Bloom is there to make things realistic. Those other guys don't get the point."

I don't know what went wrong with your eyes, but I've never looked up at the sky and seen a massive, featureless, white blob (regardless of weather conditions and terrain). I think most people were suggesting he tone down the bloom, not remove it.
Quote: "See how you can look at the sun with ease?"

But the skymap bloom is then unrealistic by the same logic, as it does not adjust properly.

Anyway, I reckon if you replace mouselook code and tone down the bloom it'll be good.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 04:35
Alright, I played the demo. Here is what I thought:

Pros
-The indoor environment looked very nice
-The camera can go up some stairs
-The target looks nice.

Cons
-I never got to go outside, because the camera can't fit outside.
-The camera collision radius could be a bit smaller on the y axis.
-When I fell from like 1000 feet in the air into the leve, all I could see was ovebrightened bloom until I reached the level.
-Nothing to do. (unless it's just a graphical kind of demo.)

That's all I can think of for now. Maybe I'll add more later.

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 09:58
Kind of cool, I didnt even expect it to work tho, because apperantly me card dosent support HDR, but I guees now it does, steam support was wrong, oh and one more thing, that dude moves way to slow, and the stairs should lead to the outside, you shouldant have to jump through the roof to get outside... but other than that eccelent, might slow down with many enemies tho, maybe good for a myst like game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 22:21:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 22:21:28