Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Milkshape - how do I get the skybox textures inside the cube?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 15:31
Hi,

I'm trying to create a Skybox with Milkshape. I have successfully mapped the textures on the outside, but how do I do it on the inside?

I'm guessing this is crucial for a Skybox!
Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 15:41 Edited at: 11th Apr 2003 15:42
Gotta flip it so you can see it from the inside.

In MilkSheep ,get into the face selection set and activate the 'Flip Normals'...

In DBP...

Set object Cull objNum,flag

Where ObjNum=the Object's Number and the flag is either 0 for off and 1 for on...This will flip it inside out.

I think the 'scale object' command will do it too if you ue negative numbers.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 02:51 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 02:52
Thanks Actarus

I have also found that scaling by -1 acheives the same (x and z, not y or it is then upside down).

When I create a 3ds or .x Skybox, the results are pretty dire. Have you any more tips? The textures just look "wrong", I can't even figurer out whats happened to them.

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
cartrbl
Years of Service
User Offline
Does anyone have the PC requirements for Milkshape3D? I looked on the publishers website but didn't see anything. I would like to see which is better 3D canvas or Milkshape. Any help is greatly appreciated.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 15:26
Better?

Performance-wise,Milkshape would win the run but 3dc has it's own charm and probably a coupla' feature that have been added since I haven't used the latest version after 3.2 which Milkshape will just wait for the next build

Also,3dc has a renderer and overall much more features than Milkshape PLUS it's not limited to modeling with triangles but boxes

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 17:19
Milkshape will run on a low spec PC, in fact it runs handsomly on my little P2-400 laptop with cruddy on-board video.

Van-B
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 17:56
It ran great when I tried it on my Toshiba Sat. p1 233mmx 2megs Videocard...I used to model with that without the use of the standard mouse

Bizzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 00:46
Hey there,

First post.. yeah! x-d
Anywhoo I gotta question,

I am currently creating a skybox and I am also trying to flip the normals of said box. The problem is I cannot find the "flip normals" command that actarus is talking about in milkshape3d. Unless it goes by a different name or I have an older version?

Would face-to-front be the equivalent command?

Thanks!

"Its time to kick a$$ and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum" - Duke
Bizzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 03:06
oops.. got it now.. its reverse vertex order lol

"Its time to kick a$$ and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum" - Duke
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 15:52 Edited at: 17th Apr 2003 15:52
Yeah sorry I don't use MS quite much these days...I'm into MayaPLE and GMax right now...and I'd rather use Wings3D than Milkshape

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 18:05
I've now scrapped the ideak of creating a model for a Skybox, it's just as easy and more efficient to do it in code...

6 plains, create mesh from them, bind them together as limbs, textured, rotated and positioned correctly. I wrote myself a little #include to do the work for me, I'll post it if anyone's interested.

It's based on some advice from Rich, but with Plains and a little more simple mathematics to make a genric routine based on the camera clipping plain. You can also remove the floor plain to make it more efficient if needs be.

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 20:26
why make them limbs? if you left them as seperate objects you could use the object in screen command to hide the plains you can't see, giving you even greater speed

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 21:46
Nice idea. But would having to reposition 6 objects instead of just one slow it down? (I keep my skybox centred on the camera position)

Or...should I create one plain as a limb, and gliue the other objects to it. That way, I only have to move one object and the rest will follow, but I can still hide them.

I'm still new to DB, so any help here is appreciated. I may be using the functions incorrectly.

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 22:52
No that sounds o.k

If you're keeping your skybox centered on the camera, you might as well just have 2 plains, one for the front and one for the sky, then just scroll the textures on them to simulate motion, like if you turn left, you scroll the sky textures right etc.

Try differrent ways and use the screen fps() to check which is faster. I'd be interested to see the results.
A real simple thing to do also if your skybox isn't very detailed would be to texture the backdrop with a seamless texture, and scroll it the same way as I just described, then just make a sky plain that doesn't move. This is faster than a skybox, and is what I do, but if you need more detail and an unreachable horizon then your idea sounds fine.

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
iac249
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 22:29
Quote: "why make them limbs? if you left them as seperate objects you could use the object in screen command to hide the plains you can't see, giving you even greater speed
"

I think that DBPro's culling routine would do that automatically...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 13:47:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 13:47:27