Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / No more computer? :(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 01:34 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 01:35
I just got my report card today. I got a 75 in English. My mom and dad say that I'm grounded from computer. They say that I spend too much time on "that stupid Dark Basic thing".
I didn't get a bad grade because of Dark Basic. I got 95's in all my other subjects. Just not in English. I hate English. I hate to read and I hate too write. Not to mention my awful handwriting. Why do I have to study English that I will not use as much later instead of program, which I love to do, and may even be my career? I think I know enough English. I almost never make a spelling or grammar error even on the Internet.
I can't go on the computer at all on weekdays, but I may have an hour or two on weekends if I'm lucky. I probably won't post on weekdays for the next month or two so don't think I don't like posting here anymore!
I don't know what to do. I may even have to go outside to pass the time!

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors." -Anon.
<--- Uh... Um... Oh I forgot
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 01:48
thats pretty harsh but you should argue the point that dark basic is a good way of learning with all the math involved and the fact that in db any spelling mistakes will mean your programs won't work so it will teach you to be more accurate in your spelling and grammer.

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp

http://www.apollo-design.com
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 02:00 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 03:41
Exactly my point. I told my mom that but she didn't believe me. Besides, in English, all we do is read and write. Most people on the internet nowadays spll thngs lke dis. i dnot. And then there's people in my English class who can't tell thier from there and spell simple words wrong. Thats not what my teacher looks at. She knows that I have good grammar and spelling, but I don't add enough details. I am a very slow reader from a book. I wind up reading as fast as I can, miss details and get a bad grade. I can't stand looking at little words on paper for more than a half hour.
I wish books were written like programs. Then it would be easy for me to read. I guess all I can do is wait until my grades get better. I can't stay on much longer today.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 02:37 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 02:38
"I just got my report card today. I got a 75 in English. My mom and dad say that I'm grounded from computer. They say that I spend too much time on "that stupid Dark Basic thing" "

Is 75 a percentage figure Andrew? How bad is that? (on a scale of A* = Full marks to E=20/100)

What is everything out of?

I learnt more geometry / trigonometry doing DBPro than I did in my maths class (GCSE + Free Standing A-Level Module)

I don't get why so many DBers and maths people in general find English so difficult. I can manage both quite happily so far (though the limited A-level stuff that I have been doing hasn't been easy, its far more fun when you do it in DarkBASIC, where you get a 'reward' for your efforts)

Current Project: Retro Compo. Entry.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 03:11
show your parents some heavy trig in DB until there heads explode and relent

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 03:21 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 03:32
Lol.
My parent's will never change thier mind though.
Math is not a problem, I am doing great in math. I even made a Pythagorean triples program in DBP and my teacher almost had a heart attack when I told her I had about 10,000 combinations of triangles!

The grades I get are percentages. I am in "Advanced classes", in which a passing grade is 85. 75 is, quite frankly, a horrible grade. In normal classes, as in most schools, failing is about a 65. I get a number as a grade, but there is also a letter marking system.
This is a rough chart (rough being the main word).

A: 95+
B: 80-94
C: 75-79
D: 68-74
F: 65-

I hade school very much. In my opinion, it is a waste of time, at least in the upper grades. In lower grades, it was important to learn my letters, how to write, etc. I know how to write a sentence, write with correct grammer and spelling, but I don't really want to read 30+ pages a night in Shakespere or analyze a poem. I do like science and math, but not if I have to go to school. Alot of the math and science (physics mostly) I know, I have learned in my free time. Most of the stuff they "teach" me I already know. I don't get perfect grades because I simply don't care. Maybe I do spend too much time on the computer, but I think it is way more important than school. I do learn other subjects like social studies, but those don't really matter to me. If I want to know something I will learn it on the internet. That is how I know how to program. I have never gone to classes, or have any family members who can program [modern] computers. I am going to stop typing now, my fingers hurt.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 04:51
i dislike very much the way the school system here in the states are setup... here all students are graded on a classroom average.. When in fact I believe they should be graded on a personal average.. Those who are recessed in certain subjects or in learning all together can feel good for getting an A in something because it would mean they really worked for it.. And those who can easily get an a in a subject normally, would have to work just as hard as the recessed person to get that a, even tho the recessed and the advanced person would have a very big difference in quality of whatever it was they accomplished..

The downside some people might think is that then when the recessed person get into the real world, it wont be so easy, he'll have to work even harder.... but on the other hand, I believe the ACT/SAT are setup quite well(at least, for those who can take a fill in the circle test well) because those are on a national average, and the extremely intelectual will be separated from the recessed so that all people who took the test will fare well in whatever they can do..

For instance...say the recessed individual, even though he had all As in highschool(which would be quite an accomplishment with said way of learning) would not be able to get into Princeton without a good SAT score...

However the advanced individual would get a very good score on their SATs as they had to work very hard to get good grandes in highschool and be able to go to wherever..

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Newsgroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMag/
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 05:24 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 05:26
Quote: "... here all students are graded on a classroom average.. "

Classroom average? I'm not graded by a classroom average. I'm graded based on the work I put in and my participation. Where in the US are you?

I took the SAT's in a special program. I thought they were set up well too, even for me. At least I know what to expect. I hope they don't change them by the time I have to take them for real.
I just don't understand why it's Math and English. I'm good at math but suck at English. I can do the multiple choice, but it's the essays that I'm bad at.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 05:34
hey andrew your school uses percent over the GPA?
first time i heard my friend got 3.4 as her GPA so i was like "damn, what didn't you studi?"

and she was like .. Noo thats a pretty good score.
confused the hell outta me, infact still does Raven's brain hurts, must think less about US marking system

personally i don't see whats so bad with a C, i mean english is a stupid subject anyways ... but it'll bring your adverage down which is the thing i hate about the system you guys use, so you've gotta do well at everything to have a good grade.
i wouldn't worry, just like sit down and study a little more - they can't complain if you studi like halfhour more a day where they can see (like the sitting room)
i mean they will complain, but that way you can use the defense - "but i studied! you guys saw me!" if you make that pitch to your dad rather than your mom, cause moms live in thier own world of what you've done.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 05:47
Quote: "Classroom average? I'm not graded by a classroom average. I'm graded based on the work I put in and my participation. Where in the US are you?"

LOL don't kid yourself, unless you're going to a private school you are based on a classroom/national average, actually, it might be different cuz you're in advanced classes but.. tell me, how many classes of yours use a 'curve'...How many classes are you in where everybody gets the same worksheet and you all get graded the same scale on that worksheet?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 05:49
the work you put in is probably the same as everybody elses(cept maybe english, or something where you get to use your imagination) And participation is a very small part of the grade, not enough to make much of a difference usually

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 05:57 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 06:01
I don't understand. I hope that I am not graded on a class average. You mean that if someone in my class gets a 65 on a test, that my average will drop too?

I go to a public school and advanced is graded the same as regular, except the work is harder and scores are expected to be higher.
When we get a worksheet, everybody fills out thier answer and then the number correct is divided by the amount of problems to find the final score. The score on the report card is your average of the specific quarter of the year.

Quote: "LOL don't kid yourself"

Why am I kidding myself? This is the way it always has been. Do you really think that I am so stupid that I don't know how I am graded?

Is it different in high school or something? Is there something that I don't know?

Participation is a large part of the grade. If I don't do work in class or go to sleep or something, I am not going to get a good grade.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 08:25
Quote: "When we get a worksheet, everybody fills out thier answer and then the number correct is divided by the amount of problems to find the final score. The score on the report card is your average of the specific quarter of the year."

what if someone very intelligent breezes through, they learned nothing... what if someone hasn't learned the work very well, they will fail the worksheet because it's just way too advanced for them, they too, learned nothing.. Same with tests

As for what a 'curve' is, say everybody in the class did poorly, then the score of the highest person gets a 100%, and everybody else gets pushed up the same percentage..

The problem with our school system is, if too many people are not getting the idea of what's being covered, then the smarter people would suffer with boooriiing work... but it works the other way too...if the entire class does well with what's being covered except for a small number of individuals, those individuals will suffer from work that's waaaayyyy too hard... Thus your grade is based upon the average of how well the class is doing and where you fit in among the class.

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 09:29
Iam going to have to make a confession, when I was a kid ..long time ago in a galaxy far away , at 16 I was a pot smokin rebel thoguht I got a guitar was going to be in a band, had a girl who was into stickshift drag racing , take yer butt on any time any where.. We would drag down the strip....and kick butt (for younger)..
But I loved the cartoon J. Quest "lasers, computers got me hooked"
Now I have kids and they scare the hell out of me. I have become the model of a conformist. The thing that drove me was the thrist too learn. Now my kids are 13 and 15 ,
My point is we had dreams too, all parents "they want "you" too have the good life too" , and they know it's not easy. So they make you work for it. Probally a bad idea but they are only lookin out for you.

It's not the size of your code but how efficiently you use it!
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 09:46
But I did get the highest score in the Northeast testing center for technology in '77 for vocational schools at that time. Damn showing my age.

It's not the size of your code but how efficiently you use it!
Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
andrew wait til lyou go to college, I got a 230 on my english report but in that class a 230 is a c!

Never stop in the perseverance of knowledge.
The Key to life's secrets is on that road.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 17:08
Yes, If I get a bad grade too, the first the the parents go for is the computer I hear it all the time.......

"John you spend too much time using your DarkBasics!!!!" and Im like "Ok Mom"

Wow, thats a tough grading scale At my school its

A: 90-100
B: 80-89
C: 70-79
D: 60-69
F: 50-59

Well I hope you get your comp back soon Yes, I get it taken away for a C as well

Cheers!

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 20:34
English is stupidly done. I used to get good grades usually, but if I didn't it would be because I was no good at analysing poems or something else boring and unnecessary. Just because someone doesn't like to write long essays about boring books (or worse shakespeare), doesn't mean they don't have a good grasp of english. When I was about 14 or so, I got a D for one half of an english exam, but I was the only one who could spell pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcaniconisosis!
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 09:05
English has to be one of the most illogical subjects ever created! Sentence structure does not have to be balanced for a proper statement. There are too many cases (when should I use a ':' and when should I use a "-") and everything is an "Art" in my opinion which as we all know is pretty dang unmathmatical (is that a word?). That's another thing! Why the heck do you put the friggin period in the quotes, but you put it after a parenthesy! Freakin A! I'm going to go crazy! SCREW THE SYSTEM! ANARCHY! IT'S ALL LIES, THE GOVERNMENT IS ENFORCING CLASSES TO LESSEN THE PEOPLE'S INTELLECT SO THE PEOPLE WILL BE IGNORANT! IT'S ALL ABOUT POWER! FRRRRRIIIIIIIIII-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 12:32 Edited at: 17th Apr 2003 12:32
u know what i learned in english this year in college?? i think english is very important to making you sound intelligent...take for isntance which sounds better?

It was that furry, and stupidly ugly dog!
or

It was that furry, stupid, ugly dog!

never thought of that before...and many other things i learned^_^

Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Create a lexical analysis program, that should convince them hehe

Do not anticipate the outcome of the engagement, let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment - from "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee
Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 21:50
i find the grading system in my school really weird i had an a in pe which i positively absolutly hate i hate any form of sport apart from computerised sport or the daily walk i do to get ideas for programming,games etc.

But then they give me a b in english because of one test which i failed because i was ill and the test was on a book we had read the previous lesson.

Our school is a bit odd though 3 pupils have died in the past 2 years 2 this year one a few days ago one was murdered by pupils the other two hanged themselves bit odd wouldnt u say.

Darkworlds are all around us
most of us are still half asleep
Current project : Creature tournament
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 23:38
Yay!!!! Spring break! I am going to be allowed to use it more often now for the next few days!

Creature tournament:

Yeah, I don't know why it is called "Physical Education" I don't learn anything in PE. All they do is tell us that we are going to play football, or soccer, etc. and have to play. They don't teach you how to play because they expect people to know how to play. Then why is it a mandatory class? If you miss a class, you have to "make it up". And whats more, my gym class is the first period of the day at 8:00, so I am usually half asleep.
Quote: "3 pupils have died in the past 2 years "

Died? Ok, your school is worse than mine. No one (that I know of) has died in my school, except from cafeteria food.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 23:54
first class of the day...ewww smelly classmates alllll day

darkCorridor
Years of Service
User Offline
Theres a girl in my class who thinks she can see 'Dead People' and she said a caretaker told her that someone hung themselves offthe stairs but no one beleives it or takes any notice...

But dieing?! Man thats bad if 3 people i knew died (2 hung themselves) i'd get out of there!!

[br]mikey
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 17:34
But you do learn from PE. You learn how to pretend to be playing a sport when really you are keeping a constant distance from the ball and jogging around a bit (I mastered that). Very useful for rugby, but difficult for cricket. Unfortunately participation is inescapable in some sports.
Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 21:17
i know wot u mean shadow. Oh well at least i only have 1 year and a bit in my school and than i can move away form all the death.

Darkworlds are all around us
most of us are still half asleep
Current project : Creature tournament
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 14:04
Having the option of what sport you want to do is a bit better, even if you'd rather do none at all.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 14:58
Darkness that happened at my school too... i figured it was the pressure of needing to get good grades - well cept the other pupils murdering thing.

we had a pretty feirce feud with the two closest schools to us, remember a good few days there were some fights between the gangs involving in some ending up in hospital a few times.
really it was only one other school, cause the Francis Combe guys were always too stoned to do anything much lol

remember one time they came over to our school though and waited for all the guys who biked in - they tried to steal a few of the guys bikes until myself and a coupla mates decided they needed a lesson in cricket

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 15:08
LOL!
The worst possible grounding case for a geek...

I can already imagine your parents:"You're Grounded so GO OUTSIDE" LMAO!

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 13:07:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 13:07:48