Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / A big long speech that most will not wanna read anyway.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
People,

I have no clue why a lot of you are here. I see a lot posts with great valid questions, some which I wish I had answers to. But I see those posts with about 5 or 6 replies (I'm not talknig about my questions ethier.) What I also see is a post about swapping partners with all kinda replies, and such other posts were people feel its important for them to put in their two cents because in the end they actually think it's going to change the owrld (Guess I'm one of em because I'm writing this.) Here's the thing: I'm tired of the P.O.S Forum, but I don't wanna leave. I want the forum to change. Pretty selfish huh? Well yeah it is. but guess what, I don't care. I would like to see a lot less arguing and bickering like we're all on the senate floor (or the parliment floor or whatever) I'd like to see some serious cooperation between more than just a few ppl. Here's a great idea. If you are going to post something which you know will just start another rolling ball of crap, then don't do it. refrain! Unless your a drama queen who needs the fix of threads that insult and injure. I recently got my feelings hurt on this forum by a mod. Yeah, I'm a tough guy, and I can take a lot, but I knew this cat for quite a while. Held him in high ranking. And he makes the two most wonderful things in my life seem like nothing more than feces. Thanks! Don't you think he deserves a raise? I do! What a heck of a guy! o.O Anyway. I see a lot of postes like this:

:U R all stpid, cuz u dot know how to code the prgams.

really intelligent isn't it? Calling someone stupid with typing like that ought to be a hanging offense. I've been warned bout my language, but I really wanna let loose now. you can say swearing is a sign ignorance, but you'd just be a pompus idiot then, wouldn't you? It's a form of communication. Like sign language or braile. It's not a professional way to talk, but I don't see many professionals on this forum. I'm no pro. Sure I've used DB products for years modeled for years all kindas stuff...for years, but I don't pull a hundred grand a year. I'm a broke college student with a wife and inlaws to support. But I would like to think I'd feel professional if the topics in this forum ceased to be useless. I'm not leaving these forums unless my account gets cut off. But I'd like to see a new era of teamwork on this site. DB Team: Get patch 5 out, I want my 3ds files back. and guys: be mature. Now you're only going to get offended and write something back that goes like.

Oh yea,...well..yur the immature guy..yea..you...uhh..yer stpid.

If the statement: be mature, applies to you. otherwise you'll agree and move on. (Some of you will agree, and know in your tiny little hearts that I'm refering to you.) It's gonna happen, I'll see the name of one of the main gossipers under this post saying "Oh you're so right, Wayne..You hit the nail on the head." You don't think I'll see through that Bull----? I will. I'm in college but i'm not 19, ok?

In Short can we please try this out, if you see a post that upsets you, be a bit more empathtic when replying...or don't reply. When my idiot brother in law comes in my office and says "Hey dude, Wanna go like a cows butt on fire." or "Hey check out this chick on tv with the blank blank blanks" I smile, shake my head and look back at my computer.

I need to do some maturing too. So get over yourselves guys.

Wayne
Never stop in the perseverance of knowledge.
The Key to life's secrets is on that road.
Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry for the typos. I'm not gonna edit them.
Wayne

Never stop in the perseverance of knowledge.
The Key to life's secrets is on that road.
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 12:56
if it makes you feel good about the santiy of people, i didnt read it, i just glanced at the start and thought hmmm... no
Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Just why should I care?

A waste of my time,
I swear to god.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 15:02
I think you're looking in the wrong places, many people work together for thier projects, it's not that rarem it's just not well documented. To change the forum is like sudden learning you old best friend had a sex change, things can't go back the way the were. Sure, I've sometime not agreed with Indi, he does seam to have it in for Raven, but it's trival. This forum is much better than most. The mods here are much more fair than on other sites. Just becuase you got your feelings hurt doesn't mean the worlds ending. It seam I got a stalker/flamer here that I'm sure won't leave till he gets banned, I don't think it's the end of the world. Suck it up, and take it like a man, whining won't change anything.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 15:04
lol sorry mate i misread the first few lines and thought it was just a pointless message, (i thought you wrote i have no idea why you are readin this) therefore i thought id reassure you that some of us dont ill think about reading it now i know it actually has some significant content
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 15:18
Quote: "swapping partners with all kinda replies"

hehe that was prolly directed towards me...did u notice that there were no flames in there? i was kinda happy about that...makes me feel like it's something people want to discuss...

Don't take it too harsh, I've never seen Indi get so wound up...but you'd be surprised what people are like in real life...some of the greatest guys online could be complete losers(not saying that thats you or anything, indi, i still respect ya as a coder, dont know ya as a person) and some flamers/spammers could be the coolest guy ya ever wanted to meet

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Newsgroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMag/
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 15:26
Quote: "some flamers/spammers could be the coolest guy ya ever wanted to meet"
I seriously doubt that, most flamers are people who have low self essteam so to raise it they make someone else feel worse. This is bad enough, but they do it online so that they aren't hurt in the prosses. These people are jerks, fools, and a complete waste of time.

I do see you're point though, I got a friend that while online he can be a real ass. It's just his thing, he's means it jokenly, but you really can't tell the tone of someones voice from how they type.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 15:28
Quote: "I do see you're point though, I got a friend that while online he can be a real ass. It's just his thing, he's means it jokenly, but you really can't tell the tone of someones voice from how they type."

my point exactly

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 21:38
Wayne... this forum hasn't always been like this.
Infact before Christmas it was a bloody good place to hang out.

Now its fully of people who believe thier bigger than thier boots, which was my job
I mean when we talk about things like the swinging it's more to get a boarder perspective on things... something you can't do by talking to your mates is get a good worldwide veiw.
Infact most of my mate at the moment are americans my age, you're bloody lucki if your getting an even partically though out veiw.

we used to be able to come on here, kickback and talk about coding, talk about what everyone was upto and just have alot of fun.
But since RGT had the server problems, everyone has had to start watching what they say. Having to make sure we don't offend those who come on here really just to cause trouble. It isn't hard to see where the trails lead niether.

but the problem is that because it's being going on so long, we have newbies here believeing that this is how the forum should be. So they're starting to do this kinda thing to.
Alot of people who were nice and friendly have turned into a**holes, and we've all noticed it!

unfortuantely the forum that Rich created with everyone being friendly is kinda dead and is being taken over with the RGT mentality - i know we are not suppose to say stuff like this, but i don't think there is a regular user here from before Christmas that can honestly say that everything is the same as it was.
We were suppose to give them time to settle, but how long are we to give them before enough is truely enough?

we don't need this crap anymore, its a very select few threads that those who cause the trouble won't go - and i have a feeling that this won't be one of them.

don't take it that this forum is just now not worth being in, i'm kinda sorry you do feel like that. But it think the fact that an old user feels that the tone around here is just getting low should warrent that we need to change something about it... i don't believe its selfish at all to want this place to be nice and friendly as it once was.

sorry for turning the thread into a flamebait (as not doubt it will be after a few read this), just had to say i miss the old forum ... i miss the days before RGT to be honest.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 22:38
LOL! I can't wait to see 'replies'!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 08:03
The only thing I can say is "this is the general topic"
Quote: "Alot of people who were nice and friendly have turned into a**holes, and we've all noticed it!"

I don't know what to say about this one.. The old a**holes are threatened by the new ones?
It was a joke - now Iam gonna be banned

It's not the size of your code but how efficiently you use it!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 08:13
Its an aussie tradition sometimes to take the p|$$ and some of my posts previously was not intended to be taken seriously.

If u bought into it then your the silly one whos getting your pantys in a bunch over different views thats not even my opinion.

If u have issues with some people on these forums then take it up in an email if it affects you that much.

theres enough forums for you to use and you can make your own if your inclined.

theres nothing stopping you from leaving if you wanted to let alone replying to a post.

The essence of replying to a post is to assert your own view or angle on the subject in a way so that the responder can make an assumption?

whether thats a negative or positive thing is up to you.

you know the result tho.

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 17:03
Just 1 point to add.
The reason I bought DBPro over Blitz3d was becasue of the quialty of the people on this and RGT forums. When I asked questions on Blitzs forum I just got flamed or smartass replys nothing helpful, but when I ask question about anything on here or RGT I got helpful and honest replies, even when I asked for a real compare against DBPro and Blitz.
People gavegood points about both, on Blitz all all I heard was oh you don't want dbpro it bad, no one gave any useful debate just flamed DBPro. Both of these forums have gone to hell in the way of politness and helpfullness. alot of people are just rude on them anymore, RGT is not as bad as here but it going down here as well. It's a real shame as these forums are selling point because of the support you get on them and like Raven said, it wasn't like this.

CTP

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 18:10
everyone is entitled to an opinion whether its objective enough is another matter.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 22:38
you have to miss the old days eh CTP

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 03:00
hey Wayne cool it oki?
he ain't worth it ... way i see it, the community around here will just slowly move away because we don't need this crap when we're trying kickback with our mates.

Jat has a very nice lonely forum, and my own is big enough - not really alot of point being around here to constantly be insulted and have the fun sucked out of a forum by those who don't deserve our time.

just my thoughts mate

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 03:27 Edited at: 14th Apr 2003 03:29
woooo chill wayne!

come'on bro, dun worry to much about it .. i'm not the perfect peacemaker and stuff, in my personal opinion, u just need to relax about this matter (its the best i can say, i can't think of anything better with my limited thinking!)

u're one of the big boys here man with ur talents & records, and u're one of the person that i respect & i'm aiming to be soon (as u mention about ur latest job), in a few months time after i get some stuff wrap up in my portfolio. Hope my next job to be like urs man

well, my english is not that great either .. i just hope whoever reads this, understand wat i'm saying

p.s. - as to answer ur first post/first question: Why am i here?
1. i love making games.
2. i love programming in DBP.
3. i love helping ppl here, anyway i can.
4. i love making friends.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 06:18
Quote: "whatever indi you are using that as a cop out. You called me a chump, and let me tell you, be thankful for the thousands of miles of seperation between us. Nobody calls me a chump. I'm not one of these teenie bopping programmers, I'm a grown man, with a proud past, I served in my country for six years and did good things, I married a wonderful woman, and you can sit there and call me a chump.

Lemme break one of your rules real quick.....

**** YOU....

guess thats strike two, ain't it indi.
"

enchanted ill let that one slip but dont assume im a little boy.

Thats one of the worst things you can do, threatening me will do a few things.

Firstly, if you continue you may find you will be ejected, 2ndly if u persist enough ill reataliate in ways that you cant stop me.

I will be totally within my rights also to engage these actions.

Lets not go there if you want to stay in this community.

otherwise so be it

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 06:23
another note i may mention is sprintlink would love to see this material and if u persist u may lose your internet connection and be contacted by your local authorities for your actions.

thats just the start.

go ahead tho do what u think is best.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 06:38
Quote: "indi - if u persist enough ill reataliate in ways that you cant stop me.
I will be totally within my rights also to engage these actions.

indi - another note i may mention is sprintlink would love to see this material and if u persist u may lose your internet connection and be contacted by your local authorities for your actions."

indi i would suggest you take a leave of abscance to calm yourself down for whatever is troubling you. you can not go around threatening the members or openly suggesting that you are abusing your power as a moderator.
for such comments alone i believe that Rich should take away your Moderation privilages, please calm down because i would say that unless Wayne has been sending your materials via email then you should back off. i will not stand by and let you attack another member of this OR any other community no matter what just cause you believe you have.
if he has done something illegal then please inform Rich and leave the matter to him, else you should leave him alone!

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 06:43
Sorry Raven Your advice means very little to me and I will prosecute to the full extent of the law if this persists.

Rich has already been contacted over this and I doubt Enchanted will survive membership after this one.

I am within my rights to prosecute this person if he wants to persist.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 06:49
Something tells me there was a post deleted there, do you think you could clue us in when you do that? I only guess you deleted something because I don't see anything illegal in the above posts.

Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
How bout this:

You keep your views to yourself, or engage your brain before typing, and I won't "slip again".

Don't threaten me with your legal actions and mod powers. Show sprintlink whatever you want. The authorities have nothing to do with net chatter, and the ones around here have more better things to do than look for some bickering forum hounds, i.e murders robberies, but hey! You're more than welcome to let Interpol, the CIA the KGB the NBC and the ABC know whats up. All I did in the beginning was ask you not to call me a chump. I'm letting it go, you do the same.

A waste of my time,
I swear to god.
The Cubist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 06:51 Edited at: 14th Apr 2003 07:01
indi take a break and answer my question in DarkBASIC Pro Discussion. forum about glue please.

Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
and stop calling me Enchanted. It clearly says Enchantisoft Studios in the little box on the left, if thats too big of a word just use WAYNE!!!

A waste of my time,
I swear to god.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 06:56
I actually didnt call you a chump enchanted " Wayne " and Ive contacted some legal authorities to see what repercussions I have.

I might have said marriage is for chumps but you took that on board, as a personal attack.

I think your account here will be terminated anyway by your own actions.

After that I will go back to my consult my solicitor and friends at certain ISPS to see what I can do to make sure you dont try this again on anyone if u want to keep going.

Im trying to be as objective as possible here but I dont suffer insults or physical abuse as easy as you think. Continue with it and I will prosecute.

Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Auugh,

I'm tired now. Since when should coming here be an exercise. anyway I digress. Indi, I apologize for swearing on your forum, but I don't apologize for swearing at you. I don't care what your aussie traditions are, theres an international tradition called respect. I used to have some for you (not that you care, which is fine.) then you starting throwing your words around calling raven idiot and me a chump. I asked everyone to leave biased views out of this forum, focus more on the reason this site exists. We'd get more work done, if all the jib jabbering was put to an end. Then you talk about the power to bring me down, which means nothing to me. Stop sucking in your chest and pretending your feces doesn't stink. You're not god, or Rich. Even rich doesn't come on here and downgrade folk, because he is a professional, I would have thought you would be too. If your going to proclaim your powers of a ModGod then act like a professional and stay out of petty squabbles because your title is above it. thats the down side, a person in your position isn't allowed to mingle with us "common folk". It's called a chain of command. And it's what makes some compasnies successful, and lack there of make others fall.

Enchantisoft ENCHANTISOFT!..say it with me...Enchantisoft Studios

A waste of my time,
I swear to god.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 07:06
Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
You just sound like my father, now.

I said I'm letting it go! DO THE SAME! Please!

A waste of my time,
I swear to god.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 07:12
yes you are indi... but he is also within his rights to also prosecute you for threating behaviour, mental angish, verbal abuse (you don't have to swear to abuse someone verbally), etc...

really you both stand on pretty equal grounds legally and prosecution will just waste the legal systems time and hit both of your pockets quite hard. is that something you're seriously willing to do over a petty argument?
have you suddenly become a white trash american overnite, taking whatever vantage point you can against someone?

now i don't know what the hell is going on with you indi, but your personal matters shouldn't affect your judgement throughout this community... Wayne is just lashing out because right now he doesn't feel like he is worth anything, and you push a lawsuit onto him that is just going to make matters worse!

you already know this too... well if you need someone to take you anger out on within this forum, come and take it out on me.
let wayne be, have him ejected from the forum - it won't stop the fact that you're pissed off with something and you're taking it out on someone who can't handle it.
you want to be pissed off, all brave and macho to take something out on someone - you know there is no one better around here than myself, and i must be on my last life within this forum. Should be easy to get me kicked out shouldn't it. Or maybe you wanna take me on legally huh?
there must be alot of stuff that you could have me prosecuted with!

there is no excuse for power abuse, no matter the circumstances.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 07:14
if u ever insult anyone again with physical abuse you will feel in your hip pocket for starters.

No one has a right to physically abuse someone whether they think they earnt it somehow by fighting someones war.

Remember this started over authority of some simple guidelines and your own conclusions about whether I insulted you or not.

Ultimately tho its in Rich's hands whether you will be permtted to continue.

Im prepared to let it go but you really stepped out of line.

I would like a real apology for your physical insults.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 07:15 Edited at: 14th Apr 2003 07:18
Accually, I seam to remember one thread where Rich was involed in a conversation three insults away from a flamewar. He would post more offen but he's busy keeping us happy (remember Patch 4?).

(edit)
Damn, you guyes type too fast, this should be 2 or 3 postes up.

Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Explain physical insults, then I'll apologize, I haven't a clue what you mean by that! My hip pocket? sheesh, you find anything there, can you let me borrow some! And I stay in line, as long as the whole forum agrees to get better.
No more racsims (US VS UK whatnot)
No more flames
No more
No more
NO MORE!

A waste of my time,
I swear to god.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 07:21
this is what ticked me off

"
be thankful for the thousands of miles of seperation between us. Nobody calls me a chump. I'm not one of these teenie bopping programmers, I'm a grown man, with a proud past, I served in my country for six years and did good things, I married a wonderful woman, and you can sit there and call me a chump.
"

if u think that you can be a physical agressor then i think u better seek anger management and I dont think we want your kind here.

The Cubist
Years of Service
User Offline
"THIS BICKERING IS POINTLESS!" I thought these forums were about sharing knoledge. All I see is bickering in every one I go to.
I have posted a problem in the DBPro discussion forum could one of you experienced programmers help me with my glue limb problem please.

Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry Indi, you must of misread my comment like I misread yours, huh? Oh well, I really do apologize then for having you believe one thing when I meant another..Just a simple mistake is all. You agree right? Sometimes one will type something not meaning to offend and he does...So, yes I'm am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hope we can be friends again.

A waste of my time,
I swear to god.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 07:33
I apologise if u took the marriage chump thing on baord but thats just my opinion and it wasnt directed at you. Its just my view and Im entitled to it as much as you are entitled to your views.

I have a very violent father, so your physical abuse would be a drop in the ocean and more akin to a warm hug compared to what i have endured.

Wayne Im never one to hold a grudge and thanks for being a little more reasonable, Ill try to be more objective as well.

Im not being paid for this I do it for free because I believe what we have here is a very rare thing and Im prepared to stand in front of the abuse to protect it.

Hopefully this can turn into something positive which is what i want from these new guidelines in the first place.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 07:41
phew..glad that's settled

Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Positive. I'd just erase this and numerous other threads like it. Indi, my whole purpose was to see a more strict set of rules on this forum, I don't want to see flame wars. and these little battles start with someoine taking something the wrong way, or someone not thinking before they act. I hereby acknowledge the fact that the general talk page is a waste, and in order to be more productive, it should be erased if ppl want to kick back with problems and questions they should go to a place good for that. This is a pro website, and I think it's high time it was treated as such. So I won't be on this topic page anymore if you have a questions for me, put it in the other pages.

Indi please delete posts and threads like this, and ask rich to take this topic page down.

A waste of my time,
I swear to god.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 07:46
I can take it down now if everyone has had there say.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 08:04
Well I have to disagree with getting rid of general discussion, the other forums are pretty specific as to what they're for, so If I wanted say to run a thread that's a document of a program in development, from start to finish, where would I post that if there were no general discussion? That sort of thing could be considered educational to people new to programming, and mildly interesting to others more experienced who'd just like to see how other people go about these things. You'll have flaming going on in any of the topical forums, not just here. These things come and go in waves, and if you look at some of the old threads, even the real controversial ones, they more often than not develop into something quite friendly and interesting, if not just plain funny, given the time
If you want things to be better, you can always self moderate, make sure if you commit something to text, that it's something worthwhile, not just blowing off steam at someone elses expense, and, similarly if you feel you've been attacked, take responsibility for that feeling, and see if you really want to build on it, or if you wouldn't rather just shrug it off and get on with things. Remember, in the end it's just words on a screen

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 11:31
Quote: "Remember, in the end it's just words on a screen "

Nicely put Dan. Short & sweet

InSiDeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 13:47
well im proud of all of you, its good to see you both came to agreeance.......eventually

InSiDeR
Visit the NEW DBPlanet, Click Here
"...Yay i got one strap loose..."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 23:08:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 23:08:02