Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / DarkFaction UPDATES

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 06:11 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2006 06:37
Note to MODS: Please delete the "DarkFaction" thread. This is the current one. EDIT: Thanks for taking care of the other thread, Keith.

Quote: " In 1945, the Allied powers were poised to bring WWII to a quick end with a new weapon. This "A-Bomb" was to be detonated over the Japanese city of Hiroshima. The device was successfully deployed, yet it failed to detonate over its target.

The Axis powers had also been working on their own version of the Atomic Bomb. Once completed, the device was deployed and successfully detonated over the island of Manhattan, New York on 2 September 1945.

Nine days later, a second bomb - Codename "Nächtwächter", was detonated over Los Angeles, California.
In 1946, a rebelious group is formed in the German Republic of America. The group is called the DarkFaction."

DarkFaction has 40 levels, but also has a save system. You cannot save individual levels, but you can save your progress of the 10 missions using an interface created in VB6. The demo version starts with a VB6 program called the P.D.A. This PDA is your Personal Data Assistant with email, video and images of your upcoming missions. In the full version, you will start from the main menu before getting your mission briefs via the PDA.

Since each mission is in effect a separate FPScreator game, the Main Menu has code I developed to dynamically delete and replace the setup.ini and level.zip files for each "game". In doing this, the total file size went from 2.3GB to only 390MB and is quite efficient as the %root%Files directory is now shared among all the separate games [missions].

Thanks to the help of you guys, I'm able to re-build the game. I've also included models from the 4th FPSC model pack. The Beta testers are not reporting any errors with the current build. This is due in part to the download not being corrupted like the last one. All testers using CD-ROM versions have flawless gameplay.

I will use this new thread to keep everyone updated on the game's re-build progress. First of all is the tutorial:

Download Tutorial Demo (102MB):
http://www.darkfaction.net/demos/demo/df-tutorial.exe

Download Tutorial Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbU62RMr3Lw

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 07:51
looking great with those new characters

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Jon

Now I just have to re-compile 40 levels with the new characters. Hopefully, all goes well. With my luck, TGC will release V2 as soon as I finish the re-compile, so I get to start all over again...again. LOL

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 15:10 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2006 15:11
Very nice...

Do you need any beta testers?

Btw, how did you make the cut-scenes?

Project FPS - started development.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good should we stop testing the old version now.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Looking good should we stop testing the old version now."

No, please finish with what you have. The gameplay itself won't change much unless by your recommendations.

Quote: "how did you make the cutscenes?"

In 3dsMax7 using the models and textures from the game.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 05:13
Looks good. $10 bucks looks like a good deal, so I might buy when your finished. I haven't tried the demo yet but the video on FPSC's site looked pretty slick and good framerate.

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 00:52 Edited at: 7th Sep 2006 00:53
Quote: "In 3dsMax7 using the models and textures from the game."

OK you obviously managed to do this well, but I'm still struggling; I have the panda exporter but I can find no import in any menu or as an extra DL on panda's site.
Please explain, how you got the models into max.
Thanks

Check out my site for the latest on my games.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 01:23
Looks like someone plays americas army. (the first screenshot) not bad though man better than what I have going on at the moment.

RF
jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 08:26 Edited at: 8th Sep 2006 09:11
kick [mod edit] game! how did you do the menu with save and load!

Mod note:
Using symbols to substitute for swear words is not permitted.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 15:08
Quote: "Looks like someone plays americas army."

i see what you mean

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 17:09
Quote: "
Since each mission is in effect a separate FPScreator game, the Main Menu has code I developed to dynamically delete and replace the setup.ini and level.zip files for each "game". In doing this, the total file size went from 2.3GB to only 390MB and is quite efficient as the %root%Files directory is now shared among all the separate games [missions]."

That's exactly what I was doing for Hostile Environment awhile back, I also did it with multiplayer games. It's great you figured it out, now I'm much more likely to buy it (I skipped over that before) cause it won't take as much space on my HD as I thought

My Apps:
Decal Maker
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "[quote]"Looks like someone plays americas army."
i see what you mean"
[/quote]

I don't see what you mean. I'm in the Army, so I've not had any interested in playing my job.

Quote: "kick [mod edit] game! how did you do the menu with save and load!"

It's just a simple program written in Visual Basic. It saves the progress of your mission completion. Not individual level completion.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 21:55
Ft.Gordon? I was stationed around there.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ft.Gordon? I was stationed around there."

Yes. I'm a satellite communications instructor there. When were you here?

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 23:17
I was stationed at Shaw up in S.C. yes I am AirForce not Army.......Though the way things are going it's one in the same...

RF
jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 06:58
What site did you get that program and how mutch (also sorry for swering)

Your signature has been erased by a mod
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What site did you get that program and how mutch (also sorry for swering)"

What program are you talking about?

Quote: "I am AirForce not Army.......Though the way things are going it's one in the same..."

No kidding. When I was "over there" in 2003, the Airforce guys set up next to me were not too happy in the dirt.

jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 08:58
What site did you get that program and how mutch (also sorry for swering) the program was Visual Basic

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Dev127
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 18:17 Edited at: 9th Sep 2006 18:56
Ok, ill send you more updates. Did you get my last one?

Ive yet to get a good game Idea..will make game once I get a good idea..
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ok, ill send you more updates. Did you get my last one?"

I haven't gotten an email from you in a couple weeks. Please let me know what your status is. I thought you quit.

Quote: "What site did you get that program and how mutch "

Ebay, $200 for an unopened copy of VB6

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 09:27 Edited at: 16th Sep 2006 09:46
I have taken the Beta tester's results and determined that this FPSC game is as ready as it will get.

EDIT: Wait...v1.03 is out. Back to testing.

Dev127
Years of Service
User Offline
Your still not getting my emails? On mission 2, throughout all of the levels there is some serious lag problems.Like 5 fps. It makes the crate stacking really hard. (its hard enough with FPSC's jittery physics).

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 14:30
Quote: "Yes. I'm a satellite communications instructor there"

I almost picked that job, but the lady at MEPS didn't elaborate on the job "radio repair"...turns out it was satellite communications repair. So I became a Heavy Wheeled Mechanic instead. I went in in '95; were you an instructor back then?

-Keith

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 18:50 Edited at: 16th Sep 2006 18:52
Quote: "Your still not getting my emails?"

I haven't gotten an email from you for three weeks. Try clicking on my email link below and sending me a test mail. You know, with around 20 different testers, I've gotten around 20 different experiences. Some people have no lag, no loading problems - no issues at all. Then, some people can't even finish a level due to screen freeze.

If nothing else, I'm learning one thing: Beta testing takes way longer than creating the game itself.

Now TGC has an engine update with 1.03RC. I am seriously thinking about starting from scratch on level repair/design and hoping that V2 is ready when I'm ready to compile. Because even with the new enhancements and bug fixes to the current engine, I cannot compile a single game with 41 levels due to "I can't find a bitmap here" and "sorry, something's out of bounds, but I'm not going to tell you what it is" errors from the current engine.

Quote: "I almost picked that job, but the lady at MEPS didn't elaborate on the job "radio repair"...turns out it was satellite communications repair. So I became a Heavy Wheeled Mechanic instead. I went in in '95; were you an instructor back then?"

No, I didn't join until '97 (yep, I was kinda old for a new recruit). I went into artillery first and spent my first 3 years in Hawaii. Then I met my German wife and moved to Augusta to re-class into the Signal Corp. I've only been teaching here for around 2 years, after spending 2001-2004 in Germany (mainly in Iraq, but I was stationed in Germany).

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 19:33
Ah; my wife and I spent some time in Germany ('99-'02), where I was stationed in Mannheim. Got out, and joined the local guard unit just long enough to go over to Iraq in '03.

-Keith

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
That's when I was there (Iraq). I got to Kuwait November '02 and left Iraq in January '04. First in - Last Out. yadda yadda yadda

I was at Darmstadt and my wife is originally from Bremen.

Dev127
Years of Service
User Offline
Sent out a test email.

If you redesign your levels, I would take out any large scale crate stacking. Stacking crates to just go up one layer is ok, but if its going up one layer on a small platform you can fall off, it if its going up 2 layers its impossible almost.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sent out a test email."

Got it that time. I am re-designing most all levels. I'm making a test run of 4 levels right now with the 1.03RC engine, too. Hopefully, it will compile. For now, I have to make all 41 levels into a single game fpg, try to compile and see which levels stop the process and step back from there.

This is going to take a while.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 07:26:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 07:26:04