Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / displays(screens,menus,in game displays)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 00:44
okay so the menus you ue in your game and the display of health maps anything on screen not a 3d object is going to be a 2d object(sprite)which you can make in any program that lets you make 2d images i have a photoimpact program by ulead im going to use that to do (menus,loading screen,images of health status,pickups... how does this sound do i have the right idea?
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
yes but you need to save it out as the right file format inorder for db to be able to load it up as sprites.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 10:23
I wouldn't use a sprite myself, use a plain textured with your image (.bmp format) and lock them to the screen, check out the demos, like jetski to see this kind of thing

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 11:01
Danmatsuma is right thats the better way. Gives you better control over them. One thing witch you cant do with sprite is rotate it for example. You would need to make diferent sprite for each rotated position of your control.
If you use plane object textured with your control picture, you simply rotate plane object. Look at my pinnace demo, you can find it at Program Announcements forum section.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 00:01
Let's dispel a couple of myths here

DBPro Sprites are rendered using the same 3D hardware as your scenes, and so cause *no* slow-down.
DBPro Sprites *can* be rotated.
DBPro Sprites *can* be faded or ghosted.

None of these are true for DB Classic.

One benefit of using a plain is that it will automatically scale itself to your display resolution, where sprites don't (which may be a good thing depending on your point of view) On the other hand, sprites are a darned sight easier to deal with IMO
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 12:40
I built functions to manage my 3d plains which also became buttons so I made 3dbutton functions to make/destroy/move and detect mouse hits and it was just like using DB commands then.

another benefit to 3d buttons is the lack of required button state graphics.

u can generate the animated roll over effects with scale object or ghost object etc.

If u play your cards right u dont need any graphics and can use pure code but it sometimes pays off to make the image in a 2d art package.

You can animate in the 3 dimensions a lot easier also.
You can ghost a 3dplain and other effects can pass over it.

either way has there pros and cons and each problem may require one or more of these techniques.

CorruptionsMyth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 07:33
could i make an image and do like an image map thing like you can with html??

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 08:27
easily, but there are so many ways of doing that, depends on whether you choose sprites or plain object's really, but for instance it could be as simple as checking to see if the mouse was within a box area on the screen, and you could make several box areas within an array to check with a for/next loop. Then it's just a matter of putting an image behind your invisible box areas. There are better ways, that's just a quickie
With plain objects it could be object screen x/y commands adding or subtracting coordinates to define box areas...

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 16:16
... or use the 'Select object with mouse' code from the code snippits.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Using plains is tacky and cheap I think sprites in dbpro are more efficeint and easy to control I think but its up to the coder wheter they want to use each one.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 13:14:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 13:14:28