Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Recording Whats on Your Screen...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 20:43
Is there a program that can record whats on your screen and save it as a video file? I'm just wondering cos it'd be good for filming intro videos for games.
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 21:21
yes

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 22:34
You gonna leave us in suspence?

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 00:34
Well filming is normally done with video cameras not computer monitors so i'm guessing you want to record something specific, windowerd output from another program or your own DB programs display output?

Give me a clue and i'll see what I can dig up

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 01:21
Yeah, seeing as what you can see in DB usually takes up the whole monitor screen, it wouldn't make any difference. I mean like taking a screenshot, except taking a whole sequence of screenshots, a video clip (like saving in avi format instead of bmp). I've thought of using a video camera, and hooking it up to the computer but my video capture software is crap. I'm wondering if there is an easier way, like a proggy that you can run at the same time as DB, that captures whats on the screen. It would also be good if any programs were free, but you could still tell me about stuff that isn't.

Thanks for any help.

p.s. Quoth, why do you always give 1 word answers that really do not help at all?

Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
because quoth, like a lot of ppl on this forum, rely on that kinda innane behavior to feed the hole missing their pathetic lives.

A waste of my time,
I swear to god.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 01:42
Ahh! That explains it .

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like this as well so I could make promo movies of my games and intros as well.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 02:39 Edited at: 14th Apr 2003 02:39
to back up Quoth... the most generally used program for this is HypersnapDx - which will write quickly & to whatever output you so desire.

$20 to register, which is the standard for alot of programs nowadays on the shareware market - but gives you alot of leaniance on how you go about taking these movies down.

however also feel free to checkout Save Bitmap in DBpro post within the DBpro forum as there are working examples of howto have DarkBasic Pro achieve this, which can be quite easily altered for DarkBasic Enhanced use as well.

you could then use a program to compile what is taken into an avi

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Angeleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Well DBC can record anything on the screen and save it out in formats.

You use the commands:

get image 1,0,0,x,y

And to output it:

save image outname$,1

You can save most things.

Ta ta for now
Mary

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 02:55 Edited at: 14th Apr 2003 02:59
this is my advice: (kinda small, ignore it if its worthless)

If wat u're asking is to record PC screen capture & sound, and later save it into avi format, u can try VScreen 1.0 for free

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2194-10132546.html?tag=lst-0-13

Solidz

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 03:01 Edited at: 14th Apr 2003 03:13
@solidus snake: Vscreen isnt free, its shareware, can only record 25 seconds and its $65... but it looks rather good

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 03:12
opps .. forgot to mention wats written on ZDNet:

'Try it for Free'

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 03:19
A slow but free solution would be to save a bmp of the db screen every frame then open the sequence of images in virtual dub or any other video editor and save it as an avi. It would take a fair bit of time and diskspace but should work.

Using an avi file could be problematic as you need to make sure the user has the right codecs installed. You could use mpeg insted if darkbasic will play it as pretty much everybody can play them.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 03:25
Angel, the get image function is extremely slow and can affect the gameplay quite drastically.
kinda why we didn't suggest it before hon

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 09:29
"the get image function is extremely slow and can affect the gameplay quite drastically."
Why would that matter. As I understand it, Hamish wants to be able to make an AVI to be used in some matter. I don't see why it would matter. I mean, you still get one frame saved as a bitmap each cycle. You just use something free to compile each separate image into one AVI.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 09:36
flash6 can import a series of linear named files and export it in a hot tick as an AVI.

Adobe After Effects does the same thing but I use that at work to import TGA renders (high quality frames) from 3d artists.

Theres a few freeware programs that can acheive this also.

I think the company that produces the Ulead series of products has this also.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 09:39
if you want to show off what the game is like then how can you do that with it running at 1fps?

say you want to show off this fighting game with 2 people going at it... and the game is running at 5-10fps, but the moves are timer based like X-Men Academy?
there's no way you could pull the special off to show everyone in a video - nor could you record ingame action like there is on the Quake3 starting sequence.

ya gotta think about the little things lol

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 18:33 Edited at: 14th Apr 2003 18:35
Thanks everyone! (whew, thats alot of posts!) I would have used Vscreen cos in a trailer/intro movie you don't usually need more than 5 sec sections, but the problem is it records at 1 fps!

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 21:18
What ever program you use will be slow as it has to process a lot of information and save it to disk.

You could try to program a sytem that writes to a text file the position and rotation of all objects. This should hopfully be quick enough to play the game at a resonable speed. 30 fps should be more than enough, you may find you can get away with < 15 fps.

Then use the info in the text file to position the objects for every frame and save the frame to a bmp. You wouldn't need to be at the computer during this stage.

Then load the image sequence into a video prog, you may need to play with the fps to get it to play at the right screen.

Encode the avi as an mpeg (with a free encoder) if db can play them.

I have never tried the above and it could fail completely.

@raven it doesn't matter what speed the game runs at when it records the images as if it outputs 1 fps and the avi plays at 30fps then it will just take 30 times longer to record the avi but play it back in real time.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 23:20
you're missing the point entirely winch...
yes most methods are slower than normal gameplay, but atleast with the DirectX Backbuffer writers what you're actually doing is dumping the screens to memory rather than writing the data.

and trust me you can play at almost full speed with these method, because its only AFTER you've finished recording you tell it to take that memory and save it in a specific format

but the main point is, you can't show off gameplay running at 1fps, because say you're trying to show off picking a tree and throwing it in black&white, have you ever tried that on a machine that run at less than 20fps?
i have and you never get the results you want!

which is the whole point i'm trying to make, if you're controling the game to show off a feature then you need to make sure that it is working at a playable speed - else you may as well manually setup the cutscene you want to take.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 00:40
Sorry Raven, but I don't quite get how I am meant to use that code to take movies, is it faster than the regular save bitmap command?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 00:59
yeah... in DBpro when you lock the pixels you're accessing the memory directly, which means rather than it fumbling around waiting for the screen to sync to grab the pixel, it just takes it from the backbuffer memory at that point in time.

if you want to know just how fast the difference is try this code ->
(in dbpro)

didn't test this cause Alex is on the only comp with Pro on it... but it should work to test
you'll receive how fast the operations are performed in MiliSeconds

note this is basically the cost to save the files just to memory, saving out to file at the same time is even more costly - just keep this in mind!

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 01:14
Is there a way to do this in DBC, because I don't have pro and my demo expired? Thanks!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 01:26
if your trying this is pro... my suggestion is to get someone to make a DLL which takes the backbuffer pointer and does this all for you.

else one of the programs that has been suggested.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
I think someone should write a progamme for the community so we can easily capture ingame videos.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 01:42
I think there is too much data envoled to write out the images and run the game at an accepatble frame rate.

I would either get network another compter and send the screen to that and have it record with no load from the game, I don't know how easy this is in windows.

Or I would work out how to save the player input for every loop and save it to a text file as well as if a image needed to be saved. This would hopefully not slow the game down too much. You could perhaps keep this ammount of data in memory and not hurt perfomance by saving to disk until the end of what you want in the video.

Then I would get the game to read the player input from the text file every loop and save an image if it needs to. It doens't matter if this takes 5 minutes,5 hours or 5 weeks. Then inport the image sequence to the video program and output an avi.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 03:08
Winch are you just completely daft by design or are you naturally like that?
i'd suggest you carefully reread what those of us who've help have written down to help, we have explained the situation quite well several times ... please try to keep up mate

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 20:44
So you think a 30fps 10 second+ video and a game can fit in 256mb of ram?

You would be lucky to get more than a couple of seconds before having to write to the disk.

You need to massivly reduce the information that you are storing while the game is running to keep the game playable.
Then use this information to reproduce what was on the screen and save it. As this is not time critical it doen't matter that you have to write to disk.

This is just my opinion of what to do and how I would do it.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 21:05
well how big is the game?

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 21:18
A random dbc game I assume, how much ram does the os and a dbc game typically take up?
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 21:42
all the memory

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 23:24
The best i've seen so far is camtasia studio, allows you to either record full-screen or specified region of the screen (with ot without sound), it then has some other programs to allow you edit your .avi's add text, different fx's etc you should check it out it's not free though!

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 23:50
640x480x3 = 921900bytes (0.92mb)
x15 = 13.83Mb
x10 = 138.30Mb

so how could it not be held in the Ram?
and that is provided you're not saving the colour as a 2byte word value! which would mean it'd be 2/3rd of that.
not to mention it won't use the physical ram for everything once the files are written to the Ram they're then put into the pageflip ram, which adveragely most people have around 1.5Gb of that, people with bigger HDDs have much more.

but it isn't just the picture but sound to save too remember, if you want that...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 08:46:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 08:46:10